Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Question About TSA Pre and NED Green Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador

Recently got the AMEX Plat and was planning use the Global Entry credit benefit -- until I learned that my No Expiration Date green card would preclude me from using the kiosks.

Was hoping to get the benefit of GE and TSA Pre, but it looks like I'm only eligible for TSA Pre, unless I replace my GC (uh, at $450, not likely). Anyone with an old-school GC tried to apply for GE?

And before I get my hopes up again, has anyone used an NED GC to apply for TSA Pre? How did it go?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by ShortTermParking
Recently got the AMEX Plat and was planning use the Global Entry credit benefit -- until I learned that my No Expiration Date green card would preclude me from using the kiosks.

Was hoping to get the benefit of GE and TSA Pre, but it looks like I'm only eligible for TSA Pre, unless I replace my GC (uh, at $450, not likely). Anyone with an old-school GC tried to apply for GE?

And before I get my hopes up again, has anyone used an NED GC to apply for TSA Pre? How did it go?
How do you envision that working? As a permanent resident, your green card is what you scan in the global entry kiosk. You can't use your foreign passport. You can't use a Global Entry card (US citizen's can't either -- they have to scan their US passport).

Your old-style green card is neither RFID nor machine-readable. So even if you could get approved somehow, I don't see how this would work in practice. The kiosk would have no way to read it.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador
As a permanent resident, your green card is what you scan in the global entry kiosk. You can't use your foreign passport. You can't use a Global Entry card (US citizen's can't either -- they have to scan their US passport).

Your old-style green card is neither RFID nor machine-readable. So even if you could get approved somehow, I don't see how this would work in practice. The kiosk would have no way to read it.
Your point about the kiosks is valid, and yes I know that I can't use my foreign passport. However, the benefit of GE approval also includes land-surface access using the GE card (as I understand it), as well as TSA Pre for domestic travel -- in addition to the primary function of kiosk access following international travel.

Would still like to hear from anyone who has applied/been approved for either program using an old-school green card. Anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.