Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:28 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CarNut
Thanks. This is very true though my concern was doing it within an hour or two at the airport.
I've done it a couple of times due to last flight of the day being cancelled.
CarNut likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:05 pm

3 weeks passed renew interview still haven't got my card in the mail, how do I ask them to send me a new one? I check online there's a $25 replacement fee?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by ecgz88
3 weeks passed renew interview still haven't got my card in the mail, how do I ask them to send me a new one? I check online there's a $25 replacement fee?
Three months and still no card for my wife. Called the enrollment center, they told me to call the Nexus customer service line, and they told me to go online and fork over the $25.

Please let us know how it goes for you, I am interested.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 8:55 pm

In guessing I wasted $50 by “renewing” a nexus membership today?

My “partner” doesn’t pay attention to such things and so when planning a trip south later this year I noticed her membership expired in January. Is it even considered a renewal at that point or just a new application?

Probably looking at 2 years huh?

Two slightly unrelated questions.. If we’re traveling together, I’m good to take me and the kids through the nexus lanes and she can travel like a pleb, right? I assume I’ll need some sort of letter authorizing me to travel the kids as she won’t be physically present at customs thouch, right?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by xero9
My “partner” doesn’t pay attention to such things and so when planning a trip south later this year I noticed her membership expired in January. Is it even considered a renewal at that point or just a new application?
Judging by how tardy Global Entry renewal applications are processed, it will probably be processed as a renewal; however, she will not receive Trusted Travelers benefits pending the final approval of the application.

If we’re traveling together, I’m good to take me and the kids through the nexus lanes and she can travel like a pleb, right? I assume I’ll need some sort of letter authorizing me to travel the kids as she won’t be physically present at customs thouch, right?
When my daughter was as young as four, I have never had any issue going through passport controls with her when my wife was not with me. I doubt that it will be a problem; however, the letter can't hurt. If asked and your partner is on the same flight, you can point out that she is in the non-Trusted Travelers immigration line. If having a letter will make you more comfortable, take a look at this CBSA web page:

Consent letter for children travelling outside Canada
A consent letter is not a legal requirement in Canada, but it can simplify travel for Canadian children as it may be requested by immigration authorities when entering or leaving a foreign country or by Canadian officials or airline agents when re-entering Canada.

The person who is accompanying the child should bring the original signed letter rather than a copy. Officials may be less likely to question the authenticity of an original document.
And a sample consent letter:
Old Jul 17, 2023, 11:56 pm

Expiration: Feb 2023
Renewed: on Aug 2022 (I'm so dumb)
Status: Still pending review at 11 ish months. I wish I had renewed as soon as I could in Feb 2022.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 3:34 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by ht2791
Expiration: Feb 2023
Renewed: on Aug 2022 (I'm so dumb)
Status: Still pending review at 11 ish months. I wish I had renewed as soon as I could in Feb 2022.
you are fine though. Your existing card and benefits are extended for up to five years to give you time for the renewal and any interview required
SPN Lifer, ironmanjt and ht2791 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Judging by how tardy Global Entry renewal applications are processed, it will probably be processed as a renewal; however, she will not receive Trusted Travelers benefits pending the final approval of the application.
That’s a good thing in this case, right? Final approval is also going to be a headache as I’m not even sure how one does the in person part these days.

Originally Posted by TWA884
When my daughter was as young as four, I have never had any issue going through passport controls with her when my wife was not with me.
Interesting data point! I guess I’ve always been spooked after a friend of mine flew to France with her two kids and wasn’t until she was getting off the returning flight and was struggling with the kids and luggage that someone started hassling her about proof she had permission to travel internationally with the kids.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
My mother in law has applied for a nexus application.

I am not sure if this is classified as a new application or a renewal.

She had a previous nexus card- it expired during covid. She did not bother to re-apply until ? one year after expiration of previous nexus card. Now she got conditional approval - she needs the 2 interviews.

Interview currently booked next week at Gananoque ON centre next week with Canadian officer.

What are the rules for an interview with a US officer- can she just cross the border and ask for an interview at the land border US clearance facility on an unscheduled basis? Can she ask for the interview at an Canadian airport US preclearance centre, when travelling the same day to USA?
Old Jul 18, 2023, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
That’s a good thing in this case, right? Final approval is also going to be a headache as I’m not even sure how one does the in person part these days.
She may be approved without the need for an interview, so that's the good thing about it being processed as a renewal.

As for the interview process, it is a two-step process, please refer to the following thread:
Old Jul 20, 2023, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by PatrickTM
Three months and still no card for my wife. Called the enrollment center, they told me to call the Nexus customer service line, and they told me to go online and fork over the $25.

Please let us know how it goes for you, I am interested.
Correct: actually tomorrow is 3 weeks mark, and I get the card today.

I don't know if you can passing by enrollment center and meet in person maybe they can reissue for free, for online there's option "Damage card (no fee)"

BTW: card I got can clearly see background roof light and office desk, thought it's very unprofessional to take a pic like this
Old Jul 20, 2023, 12:13 pm

there's nothing in QC Montreal for in person renewal interviews only YUL?
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:23 pm

Programs: AP 35K
Originally Posted by flyingpbandj
Wife applied for 1st renewal: 2X January 2023 (can't remember exact date)
Approved: June 27 2023 (no interview required)
Update: Just received card today.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 3:57 am

I don't know if you can passing by enrollment center and meet in person maybe they can reissue for free, for online there's option "Damage card (no fee)"

BTW: card I got can clearly see background roof light and office desk, thought it's very unprofessional to take a pic like this
Great! Glad you got your card. Three weeks from approval seems about average for most people, so hopefully my wife's replacement will be here in about a week or so.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 3:58 pm

My wife's second car was received today, 22 July 2023. Long process for sure. Her initial application was 15 November 2019, conditionally approved on 16 January 2020, interviewed and approved on 11 April 2023.

Card never arrived, ordered replacement card on 9 July 2023, and card in hand 13 days later.

Total time from initial application to card in hand: 3 years, 8 months, and 7 days! Thanks Covid!
Xyzzy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.