Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosk Process for Green Card Holders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Kiosk Process for Green Card Holders

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:50 am

Green Card and GE Card not recognized at ORD GE & APC Kiosks

Hi Everyone-

I am writing this on behalf of my wife who just arrived from Paris yesterday and was not able to use the APC kiosk with both her GE and her Green Card- she apparently used both the GE kiosk and the APC kiosk. The message she got on both was her card is not recognized! She had to subsequently line up in the visitors line and the officer himself was surprised it happened and asked her to reach out to USCIS. Has this happened to anyone else? What could be the potential reason and also which department (Contact #) can we touch base to resolve this? Both her green card and GE card are valid until 2026.

Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Originally Posted by Rohit9
Hi Everyone-

I am writing this on behalf of my wife who just arrived from Paris yesterday and was not able to use the APC kiosk with both her GE and her Green Card- she apparently used both the GE kiosk and the APC kiosk. The message she got on both was her card is not recognized! She had to subsequently line up in the visitors line and the officer himself was surprised it happened and asked her to reach out to USCIS. Has this happened to anyone else? What could be the potential reason and also which department (Contact #) can we touch base to resolve this? Both her green card and GE card are valid until 2026.

Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk @Rohit9!

I merged your question into a thread discussing difficulties and problems with scanning Green Cards by the GE kiosks.

Please take a look at some of the earlier posts for suggestions.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:29 am

Follow up

Hi, got the same thing today where my COC was my country of birth. Not sure how to go about it to get it clarified or what.

Originally Posted by nycflyer75
Re-entered at YYZ pre-clearance today and finally after 3 different US entries it worked, information came up in 3 seconds and it worked at the delta kiosk at YYZ to retrieve a boarding pass. (It didn't work at all till today.) supposedly they updated the software for YYZ check-in kiosk and updated the global entry kiosk with updated software to better equip to read the new green cards, which I have.
The old global entry machines have all been replaced with the new glass scanners.

Side note. I entered Monday at YHZ (Halifax) and I had to enter my details into the kiosk and COC was USA and not my actual citizenship. Spoke with the border agent and said it probably is a glitch.
Today with it working it had my COC as the country I was born in but not my actual citizenship (tied to my GC)which is another country.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by toEnvy
Hi, got the same thing today where my COC was my country of birth. Not sure how to go about it to get it clarified or what.
Did you ever figure out what needed to be done to correct the COC? Mine today showed COC as USA but I'm actually Canadian...
Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:50 pm

I am a US permanent resident but forgot to bring my green card with me. I have a Canadian passport and Global Entry card. Should I expect any issues entering the US at YVR preclearance using a Canadian passport without a green card?
Old Apr 25, 2023, 10:17 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by mrkenneth
I am a US permanent resident but forgot to bring my green card with me. I have a Canadian passport and Global Entry card. Should I expect any issues entering the US at YVR preclearance using a Canadian passport without a green card?
If it’s facial recognition, you probably won’t need to use your green card at the kiosk but of course this can change anytime. You’ll also have to talk to an officer during the customs part given that you’re in a preclearance facility. They shouldn’t ask for your ID at this point but it’s always possible that they could.
mrkenneth likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Nayef
If it’s facial recognition, you probably won’t need to use your green card at the kiosk but of course this can change anytime. You’ll also have to talk to an officer during the customs part given that you’re in a preclearance facility. They shouldn’t ask for your ID at this point but it’s always possible that they could.
Thanks, went exactly as you described!

If the kiosk was older without facial recognition, would a Canadian passport linked with Global Entry work in lieu of the green card?
Nayef likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 12:35 am

Thanks, went exactly as you described!

If the kiosk was older without facial recognition, would a Canadian passport linked with Global Entry work in lieu of the green card?
Probably not. Back when I had a green card, I always had to scan it. Even when I scanned my Saudi passport, it would immediately tell me to scan my green card. So you really lucked out in this case, as I'm not sure they would've let you in easily if they found out you didn't have your green card.
mrkenneth likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Nayef
Probably not. Back when I had a green card, I always had to scan it. Even when I scanned my Saudi passport, it would immediately tell me to scan my green card. So you really lucked out in this case, as I'm not sure they would've let you in easily if they found out you didn't have your green card.
Sounds like I got lucky with the new machines!

The Global Entry card has always been accepted without the associated green card at land crossings right?
Old Apr 29, 2023, 8:28 pm

Sounds like I got lucky with the new machines!

The Global Entry card has always been accepted without the associated green card at land crossings right?
For land crossings, no. You’re only allowed to use it on its own if you’re a U.S. citizen (and even then depending on the officer you’re dealing with might make it difficult).
mrkenneth likes this.

Last edited by Nayef; Apr 29, 2023 at 8:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.