Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:07 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Went thru Precheck at SFO earlier today and the WTMD beeped where I won a random hand swab
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
"Full" search may have been the wrong term: "normal" search? After having my boarding pass and ID checked, I was sent to the normal line, where I had to remove my shoes, my liquids, and to all the normal security search things that you don't have to do in the precheck line.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:41 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
My PreCheck success rate is 25%.
Same for me.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jcresq
"Full" search may have been the wrong term: "normal" search? After having my boarding pass and ID checked, I was sent to the normal line, where I had to remove my shoes, my liquids, and to all the normal security search things that you don't have to do in the precheck line.
It sounds as though you have had multiple PreCheck fails. Based on your original post, I thought that you had received a normal search in the PreCheck line.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
So far, I'm 12 for 12 in getting the magic three beeps.

That includes at airports with no precheck but my boarding pass is encoded for the three beeps. That's one of the annoying things - getting a pre-check approved BP at an airport where it does no good...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:21 am

I've done Pre ~two dozen times. Not yet yanked for full screening. Random hand swabs
are done a few times while waiting in the queue for Pre.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:19 am

Hand swaps are common now at EWR after the WTMD. Fun note, the line for Pre was longer than the standard and elite lines.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:37 am

Wow, these numbers are not encouraging.
I've used PreCheck five times so far. Four times I cleared. The most recent time I was denied and sent to the front of the elite line. The agent stated because my onward connecting flight was international PreCheck doesn't work.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I've had 100% success with zero hand swabs or other enhanced screening when attempting to use PreCheck..which is every time I fly if at all possible. Used it at SEA (several times), LAS, LAX, DEN, SFO, ORD, PDX, IAH.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Of course, after talking about how I've never been selected for a random screening after precheck, I get the long beep as I was walking through theWTMD just a little while ago at ORD. Quick and painless, though, as it was just a hand swab. Finished before my bags even came out the other end of the conveyor belt.
Self-quote woo!

Just an update since I posted in early December. Since then, I've attempted and cleared PreCheck with no secondary 9 of 9 times (ORDx6 on UA, ORDx1 on US, SEAx1 on UA, LGAx1 on AA). Flown out of LGA several times on US and UA and gotten 3 beeps every time, but no PreCheck available for those carriers (yet?).
Old Feb 9, 2013, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jcresq
I had never had a "fail"...but the last 3 times I've flown I had to go thru the full search after going thru the precheck line. Oh well, at least the lines were shorter.
Getting into the precheck lane doesn't mean anything unless you got the three beeps prior to entering.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
It's reassuring to know that my pre-check success rate is somewhere in the middle based on the data in this thread. I'm 2 of 4. I don't have GE.

First time eligible (SFO): success, but got the hand swab
Second time (LAX): fail, sent to regular screening
Third time (SFO): fail, blue shirt guy questioned if I was even eligible for pre-check and I silently wondered whether I was too, based on 2 failures in a row.
Fourth time (ORD): success, no additional hoops. My first, complete, success.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:32 pm

If you used to have success with Pre-Check and now are no longer getting it, if you are with Delta, it is almost certainly because they have screwed up the link with TSA since their web re-design.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Last week, my whole itinerary was invalid from the TSA precheck perspective- on both
the outbound and return.

Yesterday, I was happy to hear beep-beep-beep-beep.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sparsile
Last week, my whole itinerary was invalid from the TSA precheck perspective- on both
the outbound and return.

Yesterday, I was happy to hear beep-beep-beep-beep.
You got 4 beeps? Fancy, I usually just get 3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.