Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Scrub
Since getting Global Entry and PreCheck, I have gotten the extra random screening where they require you to go through the millimeter wave detection machine every time I've flown out of DCA (three times). Each time I have to sit and wait for a TSA agent to come operate the machine, paging multiple times, and it ends up being longer than just going through the regular security lines at that current time in the day.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:58 am

It's happened to my wife twice since getting PreCheck. On 4 trips through security with PreCheck.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by abefroman329
It's happened to my wife twice since getting PreCheck. On 4 trips through security with PreCheck.
FINALLY it didn't happen. Well of the times i used the precheck lane (no precheck at BOS for AS)
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by abefroman329
Actually, one of the trips was PreCheck Lite (she used the checkpoint at MEM with no PreCheck line), so:

2 random screenings
1 PreCheck Lite
1 undisturbed trip thru PreCheck
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Today, I was selected in the Pre Check line for "random" <whole body scanner> machine, surpringly keeping on my belt and shoes.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 8, 2017 at 1:33 pm Reason: Term better left for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Today at EWR, in pre-check line. I was "randomly selected" by the metal detector. Instead of receiving the pat down I was preparing for, they asked for my phone from my bag and swabbed it for soap/explosive residue then let me on my way.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Should have been suspicious of a deserted pre-check line on a Saturday late afternoon. Of course the "randomizer" noise went off.

Everything out. Shoes off. AIT. And then the full pat down. Sure seems like someone decided they needed more work to do.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:36 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Tanic
Should have been suspicious of a deserted pre-check line on a Saturday late afternoon. Of course the "randomizer" noise went off.

Everything out. Shoes off. AIT. And then the full pat down. Sure seems like someone decided they needed more work to do.
They made you go through AIT _and_ a full pat-down? I always opt out anyway, but...

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Today at EWR, in pre-check line. I was "randomly selected" by the metal detector. Instead of receiving the pat down I was preparing for, they asked for my phone from my bag and swabbed it for soap/explosive residue then let me on my way.
... fortunately my last few randoms have all been quick swabs of hands or bag and not extra screening.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Zorak
They made you go through AIT _and_ a full pat-down?
Yep, the AIT machine detected my "groin" and they had to ask each other what to do next.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:36 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Pre-Check "random" screening

If one flies a lot, being singled out for a "random" pre-check screening will happen on occasion: you get a cursory pat-down.
On 4/15/18 in LAS VEGAS I was "randomly" selected: NO pat-down, the agent swabbed my mini ipad for explosives and I was free to leave.^
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's definitely the "random" check, but I've gone through at SFO probably 50 times this year, and I've hit the random check 25 times. It's not just about hitting it twice in a row.

I understand probability, which is why I've waited so long to post about this.

There's very little variance in what's on my body when I pass through the WTMD each time, which is why I'm wondering exactly how the system's implemented. If it's some probability factor multiplied by the amount of metal it detects on you, for example, then that could explain why I'm hitting it more than most.

Otherwise, I guess I'll resign myself to getting my hands or bag swabbed every other trip
I've noticed the SFO WMD seem to have a fairly high number of random selections. I was selected, then two passengers later another was selected, and one more before I finally got all packed up from the search. Even the agents (Not TSA of course since contracted) were getting pissed off at how non-random the randomizer was. I only flew out of SFO 5 times in last year. 3 of which I got hit with the random selection
Old May 7, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the deal with the "random" metal detector beep?

It seems I get a "beeeeeep" from the WTMD every now and then, at which point I'm told I've been randomly selected. So I go through the body scanner (I get a "this person has Pre Check" flier to hold and keep my shoes on), and then I'm cleared and on my way.

What causes these beeps? Are they really random?
Old May 7, 2018, 9:49 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It seems I get a "beeeeeep" from the WTMD every now and then, at which point I'm told I've been randomly selected. So I go through the body scanner (I get a "this person has Pre Check" flier to hold and keep my shoes on), and then I'm cleared and on my way.

What causes these beeps? Are they really random?
Hi @gfunkdave,

I've merged your question into an existing discussion of this topic.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 7, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Random alarms are a listed feature for WTMDs. They can trigger a random beep/light sequence to randomly beep for a set percentage of the time, that X of every 100 walkthroughs will trigger the random beep.

It's totally normal, although some might believe (out of cynicism or amount of times they've had it happen) that it's not truly random. However, there's no hard proof of the contrary (that it's actually a TSA officer pushing a button or something to trigger the beep or such).
Old May 7, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I've noticed the SFO WMD seem to have a fairly high number of random selections. I was selected, then two passengers later another was selected, and one more before I finally got all packed up from the search. Even the agents (Not TSA of course since contracted) were getting pissed off at how non-random the randomizer was. I only flew out of SFO 5 times in last year. 3 of which I got hit with the random selection
At SAT a few weeks ago, I was randomly selected, as was the guy right before me and the guy right after me. The little roped off "holding pen" was only set up for one, maybe two people - so it was a little cramped until they got us moving. Hand swabs only.

I used to have a Dilbert cartoon on my cube wall where the "random number generator" was a troll that kept repeating the number 9.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.