Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Old Dec 4, 16, 3:59 pm
  #166  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Formerly DTW, now SJC
Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Scrub
Posts: 64
Since getting Global Entry and PreCheck, I have gotten the extra random screening where they require you to go through the millimeter wave detection machine every time I've flown out of DCA (three times). Each time I have to sit and wait for a TSA agent to come operate the machine, paging multiple times, and it ends up being longer than just going through the regular security lines at that current time in the day.
pairofkeets is offline  
Old Dec 5, 16, 9:58 am
  #167  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 886
It's happened to my wife twice since getting PreCheck. On 4 trips through security with PreCheck.
abefroman329 is offline  
Old Dec 7, 16, 6:01 pm
  #168  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 18,072
Originally Posted by abefroman329 View Post
It's happened to my wife twice since getting PreCheck. On 4 trips through security with PreCheck.
FINALLY it didn't happen. Well of the times i used the precheck lane (no precheck at BOS for AS)
CDKing is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 9:28 am
  #169  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 886
Originally Posted by abefroman329 View Post
It's happened to my wife twice since getting PreCheck. On 4 trips through security with PreCheck.
Actually, one of the trips was PreCheck Lite (she used the checkpoint at MEM with no PreCheck line), so:

2 random screenings
1 PreCheck Lite
1 undisturbed trip thru PreCheck
abefroman329 is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 11:29 am
  #170  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SEA
Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Posts: 13,554
Today, I was selected in the Pre Check line for "random" <whole body scanner> machine, surpringly keeping on my belt and shoes.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 8, 17 at 1:33 pm Reason: Term better left for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum
Points Scrounger is offline  
Old Aug 13, 17, 7:16 am
  #171  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PIT
Programs: UA 1K, OZ
Posts: 7,304
Today at EWR, in pre-check line. I was "randomly selected" by the metal detector. Instead of receiving the pat down I was preparing for, they asked for my phone from my bag and swabbed it for soap/explosive residue then let me on my way.
dinoscool3 is offline  
Old Sep 10, 17, 11:28 am
  #172  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Posts: 2,425
Should have been suspicious of a deserted pre-check line on a Saturday late afternoon. Of course the "randomizer" noise went off.

Everything out. Shoes off. AIT. And then the full pat down. Sure seems like someone decided they needed more work to do.
Tanic is offline  
Old Sep 10, 17, 11:36 am
  #173  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 12,312
Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
Should have been suspicious of a deserted pre-check line on a Saturday late afternoon. Of course the "randomizer" noise went off.

Everything out. Shoes off. AIT. And then the full pat down. Sure seems like someone decided they needed more work to do.
They made you go through AIT _and_ a full pat-down? I always opt out anyway, but...

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post
Today at EWR, in pre-check line. I was "randomly selected" by the metal detector. Instead of receiving the pat down I was preparing for, they asked for my phone from my bag and swabbed it for soap/explosive residue then let me on my way.
... fortunately my last few randoms have all been quick swabs of hands or bag and not extra screening.
Zorak is online now  
Old Sep 10, 17, 7:23 pm
  #174  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
They made you go through AIT _and_ a full pat-down?
Yep, the AIT machine detected my "groin" and they had to ask each other what to do next.
Tanic is offline  
Old Apr 17, 18, 5:36 am
  #175  
nrr
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: jfk area
Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 9,089
Pre-Check "random" screening

If one flies a lot, being singled out for a "random" pre-check screening will happen on occasion: you get a cursory pat-down.
On 4/15/18 in LAS VEGAS I was "randomly" selected: NO pat-down, the agent swabbed my mini ipad for explosives and I was free to leave.^
nrr is offline  
Old Apr 22, 18, 8:30 am
  #176  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 18,404
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
It's definitely the "random" check, but I've gone through at SFO probably 50 times this year, and I've hit the random check 25 times. It's not just about hitting it twice in a row.

I understand probability, which is why I've waited so long to post about this.

There's very little variance in what's on my body when I pass through the WTMD each time, which is why I'm wondering exactly how the system's implemented. If it's some probability factor multiplied by the amount of metal it detects on you, for example, then that could explain why I'm hitting it more than most.

Otherwise, I guess I'll resign myself to getting my hands or bag swabbed every other trip
I've noticed the SFO WMD seem to have a fairly high number of random selections. I was selected, then two passengers later another was selected, and one more before I finally got all packed up from the search. Even the agents (Not TSA of course since contracted) were getting pissed off at how non-random the randomizer was. I only flew out of SFO 5 times in last year. 3 of which I got hit with the random selection
flyerCO is offline  
Old May 7, 18, 9:03 am
  #177  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PWM - the way life should be
Posts: 12,345
What's the deal with the "random" metal detector beep?

It seems I get a "beeeeeep" from the WTMD every now and then, at which point I'm told I've been randomly selected. So I go through the body scanner (I get a "this person has Pre Check" flier to hold and keep my shoes on), and then I'm cleared and on my way.

What causes these beeps? Are they really random?
gfunkdave is offline  
Old May 7, 18, 9:49 am
  #178  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 13,896
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
It seems I get a "beeeeeep" from the WTMD every now and then, at which point I'm told I've been randomly selected. So I go through the body scanner (I get a "this person has Pre Check" flier to hold and keep my shoes on), and then I'm cleared and on my way.

What causes these beeps? Are they really random?
Hi @gfunkdave,

I've merged your question into an existing discussion of this topic.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
TWA884 is offline  
Old May 7, 18, 10:33 am
  #179  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Club
Posts: 952
Random alarms are a listed feature for WTMDs. They can trigger a random beep/light sequence to randomly beep for a set percentage of the time, that X of every 100 walkthroughs will trigger the random beep.

It's totally normal, although some might believe (out of cynicism or amount of times they've had it happen) that it's not truly random. However, there's no hard proof of the contrary (that it's actually a TSA officer pushing a button or something to trigger the beep or such).
phltraveler is offline  
Old May 7, 18, 12:59 pm
  #180  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,372
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I've noticed the SFO WMD seem to have a fairly high number of random selections. I was selected, then two passengers later another was selected, and one more before I finally got all packed up from the search. Even the agents (Not TSA of course since contracted) were getting pissed off at how non-random the randomizer was. I only flew out of SFO 5 times in last year. 3 of which I got hit with the random selection
At SAT a few weeks ago, I was randomly selected, as was the guy right before me and the guy right after me. The little roped off "holding pen" was only set up for one, maybe two people - so it was a little cramped until they got us moving. Hand swabs only.

I used to have a Dilbert cartoon on my cube wall where the "random number generator" was a troll that kept repeating the number 9.
84fiero is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: