Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Do I even bother trying for Global Entry if I have 5 misdemeanors on my record?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I even bother trying for Global Entry if I have 5 misdemeanors on my record?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RandomNobody
Is the CBP limited to the NCIC database? In my line of work, I know plenty of people that can pass a 4473 with a clean NICS check, but can't pass a security clearance.

They still know.
Passing a NCIC check doesn't mean you'll pass a security clearance of some type or another. But passing a security clearance has sometimes taken place despite the NCIC check showing some criminal history. In other words, there is no perfect correlation between clearing one and/or the other, even when there are some strong correlations involved because there is an extensive causal relationship to some degree or another.

CBP is not limited to use of just NCIC, but is CBP also far from being privy directly to all the databases that can say feed a very adverse ATS score?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:42 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I presume a 4473 is a criminal background check.
Not exactly; 4473 has to do with buying firearms as does NCIS. It has nothing to do with the topic of this thread which is Global Entry and misdemeanors on a criminal record.

It is harder to qualify for a security clearance than to qualify for GE. It is harder to qualify for GE than to qualify to buy a gun. That seems to be the take-home point of RandomNobody's anecdotes in this thread.

RandomNobody knows people who pass a gun check but fail a security clearance ergo the feds must not recognize expungements. Flawless logic.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ari
RandomNobody knows people who pass a gun check but fail a security clearance ergo the feds must not recognize expungements. Flawless logic.
Sarcasm noted.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:54 pm

Doesn't the CBP also administer NLETS? That's how the FAA Aeromedical branch catches DUIs, even expunged DUIs.

But justify to yourself however you want when the question is "Have you ever..." and you say 'no', when it is in truth 'yes.' It will look better if you say "yes, but..." than "no" and the CBP finds otherwise when an expungement is missed or ignored.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
It is harder to qualify for a security clearance than to qualify for GE. It is harder to qualify for GE than to qualify to buy a gun. That seems to be the take-home point of RandomNobody's anecdotes in this thread.
Oh, and I invite you to find where I've said that "misdemeanors == no GE".

You won't find it.

My point has been, "Don't lie." Granted, it hasn't been as clear as I intended.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:44 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RandomNobody
My point has been, "Don't lie." Granted, it hasn't been as clear as I intended.
Point taken.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
Point taken.
Thank you.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by zsrh2002
If you are planning on travel to Canada or any other country you should check with their local consulate or Embassy in DC as each has different requirements for entry. A misdemeanor in the US could result in being inadmissible to Canada. Check with your local consulate to see how your charges equate to Canadian criminal code and see if you will be eligible for entry.

It is better to get approval before traveling that way you will not be turned back at the boarder or get a travel ban to the country.
Definitely agree, during the Olympics in Vancouver they were turning away US citizens at the Canadian border for a single DUI. Also Canadians are notorious about weapons infractions, not sure what your charge was but if the word "weapon" comes up you may have problems.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by dgparent
Definitely agree, during the Olympics in Vancouver they were turning away US citizens at the Canadian border for a single DUI. Also Canadians are notorious about weapons infractions, not sure what your charge was but if the word "weapon" comes up you may have problems.
I seem to recall that in Canada, DUI is classified as a felony.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:42 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emrdoc
I seem to recall that in Canada, DUI is classified as a felony.
It depends. It can be a summary offense if you get it in Canada; but if you come with a DUI from a foreign jurisdiction, because of how immigration law works up there, CBSA will treat it is a more serious crime even if you would have gotten off with a summary offense with the same conduct in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.