Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta
GE preclearance in Dublin

Last Saturday I was coming through GE in Dublin and I didn’t have anything to declare so I answered all questions on kiosk screen No. when I was asked if I had anything to declare from CBP officer, I said just a bottle of whiskey that I had just bought in Duty Free. He was very nice but his exact words were, “Anything that is consumed by mouth whether food or drink is considered yes to question 3 (Food Question) on screen.” He then said all liquor bottles must be cracked and he made me rip open the sealed DF bag and twist the top so seal broke. He was nice the whole time but stuck to very strict interpretation of rules. My experience 3 days ago.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:37 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PiscoSourMaster
Last Saturday I was coming through GE in Dublin and I didn’t have anything to declare so I answered all questions on kiosk screen No. when I was asked if I had anything to declare from CBP officer, I said just a bottle of whiskey that I had just bought in Duty Free. He was very nice but his exact words were, “Anything that is consumed by mouth whether food or drink is considered yes to question 3 (Food Question) on screen.” He then said all liquor bottles must be cracked and he made me rip open the sealed DF bag and twist the top so seal broke. He was nice the whole time but stuck to very strict interpretation of rules. My experience 3 days ago.
That seems bizarre and contrary to anything I have ever seen or heard.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta
Sad but true!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stc
That seems bizarre and contrary to anything I have ever seen or heard.
Agreed. Unless CBP was testing for narcotic dissolved in it, there was no reason to open the bottle
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by PiscoSourMaster
...He then said all liquor bottles must be cracked and he made me rip open the sealed DF bag and twist the top so seal broke...;
This is wrng. I'd have considered politely complaining and perhaps have requested a supervisor. But given that you had technically misrepresented yourself with regard to the "food" question a power-tripping CBP agent could have simply revoked your GE. That's not a great situation to be in. FWIW, while I select "food" if I have any I don't think many here (myself included) consider bottles of alcohol to be food.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
This is wrng. I'd have considered politely complaining and perhaps have requested a supervisor. But given that you had technically misrepresented yourself with regard to the "food" question a power-tripping CBP agent could have simply revoked your GE. That's not a great situation to be in. FWIW, while I select "food" if I have any I don't think many here (myself included) consider bottles of alcohol to be food.
Even if it is "food", I still don't see any reason why it needed to be opened as item is clearly labeled as to the content.
DoB840 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by seawolf
Even if it is "food", I still don't see any reason why it needed to be opened as item is clearly labeled as to the content.
I think it was opened for punitive reasns, because the officer could ask that it be opened. SAD!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:55 pm
SK

Arrow

I always declare food, even if only chocolate - I wouldn't risk my GE for such trivial reasons.
I get asked to open my luggage for food inspection about one third of the times, but I usually have several food items, such as olive oil, honey, canned tuna, pasta etc.
It usually takes two or three minutes, except a couple of times when they put the luggage through the x-ray machine.

Originally Posted by LASNRT
Yup, this is identical to what I get every. single. time.
Originally Posted by Raven_FL
Tonight at BOS. I was asked the same "hidden" food question. I marked it "yes" and received an "X" on the printout. The officer asked what food I had with me and I told him. Received a "Welcome home" and was off to baggage claim.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Machine didn't ask any questions, or even want to see my passport, yesterday. Just took a photo of my face and gave me a slip. The agent asked questions.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Arrived at LAX today from Japan. Selected yes to the food question, got the circle and “report to baggage control” as usual.

I was stopped after collecting my bags but before approaching the customs lanes by a CBP officer for a “random” questioning, as I sometimes see happen to other passengers.

He asked what was in the bag on the top of my cart, and I said “mostly food, but only snacks like candies and cookies.”

He looked at my GE printout slip and said “it’s good that you said yes to food, because even if you don’t declare something small like candy you could lose your global entry.

I know this, so I just smiled and said “yes, that’s why I always say yes to that question.”

I’ve read that many people have encountered officers who are annoyed for declaring such small things - things that aren’t prohibited at all like candy - but I’ve never encountered one myself. Today is the first time, however, that I’ve encountered someone so explicit about it though. Usually I just get a “thank you for declaring” or “welcome home.”
seawolf, drewguy and LCUF like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Originally Posted by sethb
Machine didn't ask any questions, or even want to see my passport, yesterday. Just took a photo of my face and gave me a slip. The agent asked questions.
That is Global Entry 2.0, which integrates facial recognition technology into the Global Entry kiosks.

For indexing and future search purposes, please continue this discussion in the relevant thread:
Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:00 pm

The food answers have been very informative. What is the GE process now if you declare to have jewelry/clothes/wine over the $800 exemption? And can you combine exemption limits with: a live-in girlfriend, relatives that you don't live with, a long-time girlfriend who works and lives in a different city?

Also, would it be wise to have researched the tariff guide and tell the officer what you think you owe or wait for them to figure it out (at the risk of them figuring it higher than you—the categories are very confusing).
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
You can combine limits with the people you are travelling with. That said, minors cannot be used concerning alcohol and tobacco product limits.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...cbp-form-6059b
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
The food answers have been very informative. What is the GE process now if you declare to have jewelry/clothes/wine over the $800 exemption? And can you combine exemption limits with: a live-in girlfriend, relatives that you don't live with, a long-time girlfriend who works and lives in a different city?

Also, would it be wise to have researched the tariff guide and tell the officer what you think you owe or wait for them to figure it out (at the risk of them figuring it higher than you—the categories are very confusing).
There's a separate question that asks if you're over your duty free exemption. Note that the $800/1L alcohol isn't fixed and depends on how long you've gone and where you've traveled to and such.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...cbp-form-6059b

So for family allowances: Possibly. No. Possibly not.

I wouldn't bother. A) supposedly they're experienced enough, trained enough, and have the tools to make accurate duty assessments, B) the attitude of too many CBP agents is to escalate a situation if encountering any pushback or challenge. Unless the assessment is extremely off, better to either just eat or file an appeal later imo. My personal experience is most agents will waive duty when exceeding the exemption limits, seemingly rather than go through the hassle of doing so. If you're bring in clearly more than personal use or excessively high value items, I think that would have a different outcome.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
So for family allowances: Possibly. No. Possibly not.

I wouldn't bother. A) supposedly they're experienced enough, trained enough, and have the tools to make accurate duty assessments, B) the attitude of too many CBP agents is to escalate a situation if encountering any pushback or challenge. Unless the assessment is extremely off, better to either just eat or file an appeal later imo. My personal experience is most agents will waive duty when exceeding the exemption limits, seemingly rather than go through the hassle of doing so. If you're bring in clearly more than personal use or excessively high value items, I think that would have a different outcome.
SO, if you declare that you have jewelry or a watch or whatever that exceeds to exemption limit by thousands, the CBP officer might just waive you through?

Regarding non-spouses sharing allowances, its a little confusing. In the first part it sets three conditions. Then it provides a definition of "domestic relationship" but it is unclear to what this is referring since that term isn't used in the three conditions.

FROM CBP:

In accordance with 19 CFR 148.34(b) member of a family residing in one household includes all persons who meet the following three conditions:

1. Are related by blood, marriage, or adoption;

2. Lived together in one household at their last permanent residence; and

3. Intend to live together in one household after their arrival in the United States.

"Domestic relationship" would be defined to include:
- foster children, stepchildren, half-siblings, legal wards, other dependents, and individuals with an in loco parentis or guardianship relationship;
- two adults who are in a committed relationship including, but not limited to, long-term companions and couples in civil unions or domestic partnerships where the partners are financially interdependent, and are not married to, or a partner of, anyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.