Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for land crossing to/from Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent

My Fiancé and I both have GlobalEntry. We have the GlobalEntry cards which say "Sentri" on the back. We also both have regular passports books (activated for GlobalEntry) and USA PassportCards.

We will be going to Canada for a few days to visit Niagra Falls, driving up from New York in a rental car.

As far as I know, I am not registered in Nexus.

The relevant parts of the globalentry faq are:
Code:
Q:	How are Global Entry cards used?
A:	CBP accepts Global Entry cards for lawful U.S. entry at land and sea ports of entry. Global Entry cards have radio frequency identification, which enables their use at SENTRI and NEXUS expedited travel lanes entering the U.S. Global Entry cards are not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks. Global Entry cards are not accepted at Global Entry kiosks, which require passports or U.S. lawful permanent resident cards. Global Entry card holders must follow all program rules for SENTRI and NEXUS when using this card at land and sea ports of entry.
Code:
Q:	How do I get a Global Entry card for use with SENTRI or NEXUS travel lanes?
A:	CBP began issuing Global Entry radio frequency identification (RFID) cards on July 12, 2011, to new Global Entry members who are U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents or Mexican nationals (who do not already have a SENTRI card) at no additional cost.
Code:
	How do I register my vehicle before using the Global Entry card in NEXUS lanes?
A:	There are no additional requirements for a member to use the NEXUS lanes coming into the U.S. However, Global Entry cards are not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks; travelers must apply separately for NEXUS.
It seems that to register in Nexus, it would require registering my vehicle as well (and inspecting it?). Considering I live in Miami, and any time I would be driving across either border, it will probably be in a rental car, I assume the Nexus program has no benefit for me?

The FAQ seems to clearly say that when entering Canada, I will just be a regular American citizen and must take the long line.

Will I at least be able to use the expedited line for returning to the USA? Will this be the Nexus line or something else? Is there a special procedure for handling Trusted Travelers in non-trusted (rental) vehicles?

I assume there is no use for the passport card, and I will probably end up showing passport books at the entry to canada (and receive a stamp?), and globalentry card returning to USA (and receive no stamp?)

Unfortunately this whole thing seems very unclear on the gov websites, so I hope some here have some experience.

If the bottom line is "No expedited entry either direction", any advice on how long it will take to cross?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by some dude; Oct 5, 2013 at 12:30 pm
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by some dude
My Fiancé and I both have GlobalEntry. We have the GlobalEntry cards which say "Sentri" on the back. We also both have regular passports books (activated for GlobalEntry) and USA PassportCards.

We will be going to Canada for a few days to visit Niagra Falls, driving up from New York in a rental car.

As far as I know, I am not registered in Nexus.

The relevant parts of the globalentry faq are:
Code:
Q:	How are Global Entry cards used?
A:	CBP accepts Global Entry cards for lawful U.S. entry at land and sea ports of entry. Global Entry cards have radio frequency identification, which enables their use at SENTRI and NEXUS expedited travel lanes entering the U.S. Global Entry cards are not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks. Global Entry cards are not accepted at Global Entry kiosks, which require passports or U.S. lawful permanent resident cards. Global Entry card holders must follow all program rules for SENTRI and NEXUS when using this card at land and sea ports of entry.
Code:
Q:	How do I get a Global Entry card for use with SENTRI or NEXUS travel lanes?
A:	CBP began issuing Global Entry radio frequency identification (RFID) cards on July 12, 2011, to new Global Entry members who are U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents or Mexican nationals (who do not already have a SENTRI card) at no additional cost.
Code:
	How do I register my vehicle before using the Global Entry card in NEXUS lanes?
A:	There are no additional requirements for a member to use the NEXUS lanes coming into the U.S. However, Global Entry cards are not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks; travelers must apply separately for NEXUS.
It seems that to register in Nexus, it would require registering my vehicle as well (and inspecting it?). Considering I live in Miami, and any time I would be driving across either border, it will probably be in a rental car, I assume the Nexus program has no benefit for me?

The FAQ seems to clearly say that when entering Canada, I will just be a regular American citizen and must take the long line.

Will I at least be able to use the expedited line for returning to the USA? Will this be the Nexus line or something else? Is there a special procedure for handling Trusted Travelers in non-trusted (rental) vehicles?

I assume there is no use for the passport card, and I will probably end up showing passport books at the entry to canada (and receive a stamp?), and globalentry card returning to USA (and receive no stamp?)

Unfortunately this whole thing seems very unclear on the gov websites, so I hope some here have some experience.

If the bottom line is "No expedited entry either direction", any advice on how long it will take to cross?

Thanks in advance!
As you are a GE-only member, you MUST use the regular inspection lanes into Canada. You can use the NEXUS lanes coming back into the US, as long as everyone in the vehicle has a GE, NEXUS or SENTRI card. If using the NEXUS lanes coming back, make sure you show your GE card to the officer at the inspection booth. If even one person doesn't have one of those cards, you must use the regular lanes coming back.

I'm not sure if the CBSA takes GE cards as proof of US citizenship. Best to stick with the passport book upon entry into Canada.

You do not need to register your vehicle to use the NEXUS lanes, only the SENTRI lanes coming back from Mexico. Also, make sure with the rental car agency that you can take your rental into Canada.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Thanks
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
This past July my wife and I drove to Canada, we used our passports going into Canada and our GE cards returning back to the US. On our return we used the Nexus lane, got some of the usual questions from the CBP agent and were on our way.

The questions appeared to be the same as when we used the regular lanes before we got our GE cards, so to me the only real advantage was to use the shorter Nexus lanes, only one car in front of us instead of waiting at the regular entry lanes.

Mr. Elliott
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:49 am

Getting Global Entry card for US-Canada land crossing within 24 hours

Hi all,

I expect to cross the US-Canada land border between Pittsburgh and Montreal this weekend.

I have Global Entry, but I don't have a Global Entry card since I joined before they started giving them out.

My questions are:

1. Do I need a card in order to access any kind of expedited screening at the border?

2. Can I receive a card at the GE enrollment office at the airport? (my trip is tomorrow)

3. I plan to drive a rental car across the border. Is this typically allowed by car rental agencies, and will I need to register the car with CBP in oder to access expedited screening lanes?

4. Assuming I go through the regular screening process, how much time should I expect to wait at this border on:
Friday around 7:00pm
Sunday around 3:00pm
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:04 am

A few comments:

1. You talkign about the Pittsburg/Chartierville crossing? No expedited services there. And none need, it's a slooooooow border crossing where very little happens. I've never, ever seen a real "line". I have been stuck behind a truck for 5 minutes. I've also had, as recently as 2011, found nobody working that station on the Canadian side, with a note telling you to call a number when you get into town.

2. I doubt you will be able to get a GE card in time anyways, and it's only useful for reentering the US. And at that, there's little gain for this trip.

3. Unless you are a Canadian citizen, there shouldn't be an issue taking a US rental into Canada. Make sure your rental company is okay with it. Most are, but make 100% sure they know you are taking it into Canada.

4. Depending on whether you arrive behind a truck.... someplace between 0 seconds and 5 minutes. Unless you somehow get delayed on Friday: while the US port of entry is 24x7, the Canadian port of entry is 8am through midnight.

Seriously, Pittsburg/Chartierville is one of the quietest border crossings on the US border.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:34 am

Sorry, I screwed up the area where I will be crossing. I meant Platsburgh rather than Pittsburgh, but it now looks like I will be doing the drive from Burlington, VT to Montreal. Any experiences with this crossing?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:00 am

Highgate Springs is usually pretty low drama. I'd count on ~20 minutes.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:31 pm

You need a GE card to access the NEXUS lanes into the US. You cannot use the NEXUS lanes into Canada under any circumstances. Make sure on your rental agreement that it states you can take the car into Canada. CBSA or CBP may want to see the rental agreement.

You cannot get a GE card on the spot. You have to apply for it through GOES and receive it in the mail.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nfg05
Hi all,

I expect to cross the US-Canada land border between Pittsburgh and Montreal this weekend.

I have Global Entry, but I don't have a Global Entry card since I joined before they started giving them out.

My questions are:

1. Do I need a card in order to access any kind of expedited screening at the border?
Yes. You need a WHTI-compliant document to use any kind of expedited lanes. Without a Global Entry card, you would need one of the other approved WHTI-compliant documents, including:
- US Passport card
- Enhanced DL (currently issued by 4 states)
- U.S. Military CAC when traveling on official orders
- U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling on official business
- American Indian Card or Enhanced Tribal Card

You can use "Ready Lanes" if your document has an RFID chip. If you have a Passport BOOK, I believe you are not allowed to use Ready Lanes.

You are NOT entitled to any expedited processing INTO Canada unless you also are a NEXUS member holding a valid NEXUS card with an RFID chip.

2. Can I receive a card at the GE enrollment office at the airport? (my trip is tomorrow)
No. The cards are processed off site and mailed in 4-6 weeks following the date of final approval after the interview. Air travel privileges begin immediately (since air travel uses the passport book and biometrics), but land/sea privileges require the card.

3. I plan to drive a rental car across the border. Is this typically allowed by car rental agencies, and will I need to register the car with CBP in oder to access expedited screening lanes?
Check with the rental company, and make sure to have permission in writing to drive the vehicle into Canada. Make sure you are carrying proof of Canadian Non-Resident Vehicle Insurance. Request this card from your insurance company well in advance of your trip, unless the rental company will allow you to buy short-term Canadian insurance on the spot and give you the details in writing.

4. Assuming I go through the regular screening process, how much time should I expect to wait at this border on:
Friday around 7:00pm
Sunday around 3:00pm
Border wait times are available in real time on www.cbp.gov
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:41 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kaszeta
Highgate Springs is usually pretty low drama. I'd count on ~20 minutes.
Depends a lot on traffic. I usually wind up driving through there northbound on Friday afternoons, when the non-NEXUS line into Canada can be 45 minutes or more (and each time I've had non-NEXUS passengers riding with me, sigh).

Southbound the US NEXUS lane has very limited hours anyway, so having NEXUS/GE cards would be unlikely to help. (There, I'm usually coming back mid-Monday.)
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36
No. The cards are processed off site and mailed in 4-6 weeks following the date of final approval after the interview. Air travel privileges begin immediately (since air travel uses the passport book and biometrics), but land/sea privileges require the card.
4-6 weeks seem excessive.

If you are already enrolled in GE, you probably can get a card in the mail in 3-5 business days.

Numerous reports of the card mailer with a postmark being the same or next business day of approval from new GE members.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
4-6 weeks seem excessive.

If you are already enrolled in GE, you probably can get a card in the mail in 3-5 business days.

Numerous reports of the card mailer with a postmark being the same or next business day of approval from new GE members.
I got my NEXUS card within a week of approval.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:56 am

Global Entry Crossing into U.S. via Land from Canada

Question: If you are driving back from Canada to the U.S. with other people and you have Global Entry, but the others do not, can you use the NEXUS / GE lanes?

I asked the US CBP officer when I did the GE interview about this, and he said I could go through the NEXUS / GE lane, but the others with me might be subject to additional inspection.

However the FAQ on the GE website (http://www.cbp.gov/global-entry/faqs) says:

Do my Global Entry benefits extend to my travel companion(s) (children, spouse or co-traveler) who is/are not part of the Global Entry program?

Global Entry benefits are member specific and cannot be extended to others.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I'm pretty sure the answer is NO. If you are in a vehicle, EVERYONE in the vehicle (including infants) must be a NEXUS/GE member in order to use the dedicated traffic lanes. Otherwise, you risk losing your own trusted traveler status. I believe that the CBSA is very strict on this point when entering Canada as a NEXUS member. The local officers have the authority to take away your trusted traveler card and revoke your membership on the spot for any violations of program rules.

(The analogy would be that when entering by air, only registered NEXUS/GE members can use the NEXUS or GE kiosks. If you are traveling with family who are not members of these programs, they must go through the normal lines. Of course, YOU can use the kiosks, but you will have to wait for them on the other side. When you are traveling in a car, it is not that simple because everyone is in the vehicle...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.