FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Entry for land crossing to/from Canada
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:41 pm
dustman81

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by some dude
My Fiancé and I both have GlobalEntry. We have the GlobalEntry cards which say "Sentri" on the back. We also both have regular passports books (activated for GlobalEntry) and USA PassportCards.

We will be going to Canada for a few days to visit Niagra Falls, driving up from New York in a rental car.

As far as I know, I am not registered in Nexus.

The relevant parts of the globalentry faq are:
Code:
Q:	How are Global Entry cards used?
A:	CBP accepts Global Entry cards for lawful U.S. entry at land and sea ports of entry. Global Entry cards have radio frequency identification, which enables their use at SENTRI and NEXUS expedited travel lanes entering the U.S. Global Entry cards are not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks. Global Entry cards are not accepted at Global Entry kiosks, which require passports or U.S. lawful permanent resident cards. Global Entry card holders must follow all program rules for SENTRI and NEXUS when using this card at land and sea ports of entry.
Code:
Q:	How do I get a Global Entry card for use with SENTRI or NEXUS travel lanes?
A:	CBP began issuing Global Entry radio frequency identification (RFID) cards on July 12, 2011, to new Global Entry members who are U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents or Mexican nationals (who do not already have a SENTRI card) at no additional cost.
Code:
	How do I register my vehicle before using the Global Entry card in NEXUS lanes?
A:	There are no additional requirements for a member to use the NEXUS lanes coming into the U.S. However, Global Entry cards are not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks; travelers must apply separately for NEXUS.
It seems that to register in Nexus, it would require registering my vehicle as well (and inspecting it?). Considering I live in Miami, and any time I would be driving across either border, it will probably be in a rental car, I assume the Nexus program has no benefit for me?

The FAQ seems to clearly say that when entering Canada, I will just be a regular American citizen and must take the long line.

Will I at least be able to use the expedited line for returning to the USA? Will this be the Nexus line or something else? Is there a special procedure for handling Trusted Travelers in non-trusted (rental) vehicles?

I assume there is no use for the passport card, and I will probably end up showing passport books at the entry to canada (and receive a stamp?), and globalentry card returning to USA (and receive no stamp?)

Unfortunately this whole thing seems very unclear on the gov websites, so I hope some here have some experience.

If the bottom line is "No expedited entry either direction", any advice on how long it will take to cross?

Thanks in advance!
As you are a GE-only member, you MUST use the regular inspection lanes into Canada. You can use the NEXUS lanes coming back into the US, as long as everyone in the vehicle has a GE, NEXUS or SENTRI card. If using the NEXUS lanes coming back, make sure you show your GE card to the officer at the inspection booth. If even one person doesn't have one of those cards, you must use the regular lanes coming back.

I'm not sure if the CBSA takes GE cards as proof of US citizenship. Best to stick with the passport book upon entry into Canada.

You do not need to register your vehicle to use the NEXUS lanes, only the SENTRI lanes coming back from Mexico. Also, make sure with the rental car agency that you can take your rental into Canada.