Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2024, 6:19 am

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Delta Plat here, been with CLEAR for many years especially pre-covid when I was running Diamond every year and it was free. Well, the recent experiences have been frankly terribly slow, like even if there is no line, of course the CLEAR employees all chatting and then have to fire up a machine and then oh a problem and back to a different machine (that’s at PHX), and then a random ID check, or there are just so many people and the staff not really in any mood to go “faster” so TSA Precheck is faster (MSP). So I got the email to renew and the bill for me and 2 family members is almost $350. That’s not worth saving a few minutes (or even losing a few minutes) so we are not renewing. I’m sure they will gladly accept me again if things improve and I’ll even save a few months subscription fees since I’m not traveling til summer. I can’t be alone in thinking this way, right??!
chica and gooselee like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I was at BOS A yesterday. Lots of people at CLEAR taking a long time, presumably forced upgrades, with about 5-8 people waiting for machines. I noted the last person waiting, and went into the regular TSA pre line. I got to the TDC before the person I marked even got to a CLEAR machine.

BUT

And this is a new one for me...

TDC was using the new machines that take your picture and presumably compare it to the ID. I've used those plenty of times before, but yesterday for some reason the machine couldn't match me to my ID. They even asked me if I had another ID (I didn't have one on me). So I ended up having to wait for several minutes while they got a supervisor who looked at my (RealID) license and said I was good to go.

Because of this wait, the person who I had marked at the end of the CLEAR line got to the X-ray scanner in front of me.

I'm hoping that once the forced upgrades die down there may again be more usefulness for CLEAR.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Quck update for Clear+ NEXTGEN upgrade. Flew out of SFO last Saturday, went to regular clear lines Clear + TSA pre, when i scanned with Iris (i was wearing a mask), systems said NEXT GEN upgrade was required. Agent typed in my cell phone number, received code, agent typed in 2FA code. Then asked for ID, they didn’t want passport they wanted Drivers License (I don’t have a REALID license yet), they took that ID, I can’t remember if they scanned it, but then they took a picture of me (had to remove mask and ball cap), and then it was all done. then, scanned boarding pass from phone app, and was waived through TSA security - just by showing BP on phone. Like before. So, if THAT is all it takes to get upgraded and back to regular historical use case I’m fine with it all. On the return, from ORD, all I had to do was scan Iris, BP popped up and again was just waived through TSA checkpoint.

YMMV.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 1:38 pm

A neighbor did the NEXTGEN upgrade at MCO and said that beyond a small hiccup with his passport, the CLEAR employee wanted a Driver's License which my neighbor does not have because he is in a wheelchair and does not drive, it was quick and easy.

He said that the CLEAR employee had to go with him to a different machine to scan his passport saying that the CLEAR supervisor said to keep the line moving DLs only unless there was a reason to scan a passport.

Not sure how scanning DLs only makes things go faster, but he was upgraded without any other issues and while he did not get the random ID check, he needs special screening anyways due to being wheelchair bound, so he had to wait a bit for a TSA employee to help him.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Powers106
Delta Plat here, been with CLEAR for many years especially pre-covid when I was running Diamond every year and it was free. Well, the recent experiences have been frankly terribly slow, like even if there is no line, of course the CLEAR employees all chatting and then have to fire up a machine and then oh a problem and back to a different machine (that’s at PHX), and then a random ID check, or there are just so many people and the staff not really in any mood to go “faster” so TSA Precheck is faster (MSP). So I got the email to renew and the bill for me and 2 family members is almost $350. That’s not worth saving a few minutes (or even losing a few minutes) so we are not renewing. I’m sure they will gladly accept me again if things improve and I’ll even save a few months subscription fees since I’m not traveling til summer. I can’t be alone in thinking this way, right??!
Pretty much my exact situation, plus after four attempts I've given up on trying to make nextgen work. When I went to cancel, the website offered me a couple extra months for free which I took as a just-in-case thing, but the regular Pre lines have been so much better lately that I will likely still cancel once that is done. Not worth it anymore even if I was able to complete the next gen thing.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by gooselee
Pretty much my exact situation, plus after four attempts I've given up on trying to make nextgen work. When I went to cancel, the website offered me a couple extra months for free which I took as a just-in-case thing, but the regular Pre lines have been so much better lately that I will likely still cancel once that is done. Not worth it anymore even if I was able to complete the next gen thing.
Agreed. Clear in Atlanta has sucked for a while. Plenty of people there who work for the company, but I'm not seeing the old emphasis on speed or making sure the pax in line are happy. Certainly no manager talking to us sheep in the line.
gooselee likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
CLEAR at FLL on Tuesday, February 27th at about 5 pm had a line of about 15 people. I joined the lane for the Precheck TDC had nobody waiting. The non-Precheck line for the TDC looped back and forth almost back to the entrance, so CLEAR would have only made sense if one didn't have Precheck.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by smksat12
... for some reason, Clear's system is not recognising my mobile phone number
... huh. I successfully registered my number, which is a Google Voice number (i.e., neither strictly "mobile" nor "landline", and can't be used on some services, and which I've had for ~13 years now).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Majuki
CLEAR at FLL
... is always a fuster, at least in T1. Like you, I just use the regular PC line.
Majuki likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... is always a fuster, at least in T1. Like you, I just use the regular PC line.
Yes, this was T1.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 9:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
CLEAR+Pre actually saved some time this morning at SFO, at the UA E/F checkpoint.

They had a procedure that was new to me where, after completing biometrics (and getting a random ID check) they handed me a large white card saying Clear Member, then directed me into a roped off lane 2-3x the normal width and paired me up with a non-CLEAR pax and instructed us to walk side by side. Once we reached the end of the lane, they directed the other pax to continue into a different line and another CLEAR employee was waiting to claim my card and admitted me into what looked like a dedicated CLEAR line again.

Meanwhile, the original CLEAR agent who processed me at the kiosk had said they would meet me at the front of the line, which they did (having walked around the outside) at which point they took my ID to give to the Covenant doc checker.

I am not sure what this is supposed to accomplish, maybe it relieves complaints about line cutting? It seemed like they were doing this for the couple CLEAR pax ahead of me as well so I don't think it was related to the ID check (unless they also got it, of course)
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:46 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I think it allows the CLEAR representative to handle more passengers at the kiosk while you are in line waiting to get to the TSO.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 12:05 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by diburning
I think it allows the CLEAR representative to handle more passengers at the kiosk while you are in line waiting to get to the TSO.
Didn't seem like it, because the CLEAR rep who processed me at the kiosk immediately went around the line on the outside and still met me at the TDC desk, and it seemed like all the reps were all doing this. But I only have a tiny sample size, so could certainly be wrong!
Old Mar 1, 2024, 12:53 pm

Is Nextgen required for using CLEAR now? I thought I read that it was becoming mandatory starting this month, but I now don't remember where I saw that. I still have not been successful getting it activated, but I have also been skipping CLEAR if I see more than about two people using it.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 12:56 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Zorak
Didn't seem like it, because the CLEAR rep who processed me at the kiosk immediately went around the line on the outside and still met me at the TDC desk, and it seemed like all the reps were all doing this. But I only have a tiny sample size, so could certainly be wrong!
Maybe it's to keep the CLEAR rep out of the line for the TDC desk then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.