Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
CBSA published NEXUS processing times to get to conditional approval can be found here. The most recently published processing time is below, along with a short history of recent official published times. A longer history of published wait times is here, via the Internet Archive Wayback machine. Please post your personal experiences below in the thread. All posts are appreciated. Thank you/Merci!

5 business days as of 2020-04-29
30 business days as of 2020-02-17
39 business days as of 2019-10-07
40 business days as of 2019-08-28
25 business days as of 2019-04-11

Print Wikipost

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:31 am

Do you guys get some notification that you've been conditionally approved? Or do you have to log in to the TTP site every once in a while to review the application status?

It's been ~7 months or so for me since I applied for my baby. Still no update. Looks like we'll need to wait for another 2+ months or so.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by forgotmyUA
Do you guys get some notification that you've been conditionally approved? Or do you have to log in to the TTP site every once in a while to review the application status?
Normally you will get an email that there has been a status change. You have to log in to the TTP site to find out what it is.

Unless it's changed from last year, the sender will be "[email protected]" and the subject will be "TTP Application Status Change".
Old Nov 14, 2023, 5:40 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by Rare
Normally you will get an email that there has been a status change. You have to log in to the TTP site to find out what it is.

Unless it's changed from last year, the sender will be "[email protected]" and the subject will be "TTP Application Status Change".
What this said, and you are of course free to log in to your account at any time. The first page after log in will either have a green approved icon or a yellow/brown processing one.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by xobile
What this said, and you are of course free to log in to your account at any time. The first page after log in will either have a green approved icon or a yellow/brown processing one.
Yep. When I was in that time between application and approval, even though I was expecting the status change email, I still "had to" log in periodically to check my status "just in case".
Old Nov 23, 2023, 2:08 pm

adding this timeline

canadian citizen
applied: feb 22, 2023
conditionally approved: november 23, 2023

scheduled my interview this nov 29 at montana.

Last edited by ye.uan; Nov 24, 2023 at 7:31 pm
Old Dec 2, 2023, 5:14 pm

Adding DP March 2023

Canadian Citizen
Applied Mar 10 2023
Conditional approval Dec 1 2023

trying to find interviews now hehe
Old Dec 5, 2023, 12:56 pm

Apply for Nexus AFTER getting TSA Precheck?

Hi all,
My mother (senior citizen) got TSA precheck a couple of years ago. Earlier this summer we were on a road trip to Toronto, Canada and the rest of us had Nexus, but she didn't, which got me thinking if it made sense for her to get Nexus as well? She'd get Global entry with Nexus (she travels internationally for vacation once every 2 years), so that might be a bonus.

Thoughts? Potential problems? She already has a KTN because of having TSA Precheck. Anyone with experience doing something similar, I'd appreciate it if you could share your experience. Things like if processing times would be shorter on the US side, easier/faster etc. She's a US citizen, btw, if that matters.

Thank you!
Old Dec 5, 2023, 2:47 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by zeebanker
Thoughts? Potential problems? She already has a KTN because of having TSA Precheck. Anyone with experience doing something similar, I'd appreciate it if you could share your experience. Things like if processing times would be shorter on the US side, easier/faster etc. She's a US citizen, btw, if that matters.
NEXUS (along with Global Entry and SENTRI) are managed by US CBP and are completely separate from PreCheck, managed solely by the TSA. Each agency issues their own KTN numbers.

The application never asks if you are or have been enrolled in another Trusted Traveler program and having a current membership doesn't appear to change the application process or timeline at all, besides maybe shortening the interview at the enrollment center.
Xyzzy and zeebanker like this.

Last edited by zmb; Dec 5, 2023 at 2:54 pm
Old Dec 7, 2023, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by zmb
NEXUS (along with Global Entry and SENTRI) are managed by US CBP and are completely separate from PreCheck, managed solely by the TSA. Each agency issues their own KTN numbers.

The application never asks if you are or have been enrolled in another Trusted Traveler program and having a current membership doesn't appear to change the application process or timeline at all, besides maybe shortening the interview at the enrollment center.

Will Nexus/CPB issuing a new TSA precheck KTN number mess up things? Like say she gets approved and shows up at the security line and two KTNs show up or none or some such problem? Would you steer away from Nexus to avoid such potential complications?

Thank you!
Old Dec 7, 2023, 12:55 pm

Will Nexus/CPB issuing a new TSA precheck KTN number mess up things? Like say she gets approved and shows up at the security line and two KTNs show up or none or some such problem? Would you steer away from Nexus to avoid such potential complications?
No. As zmb said, they are completely separate. CBP doesn't issue a "new TSA precheck KTN number". They assign their own "membership number" aka "PASSID". It's perfectly fine to have both a CBP number and a TSA number, and many people do.

There is no way to "show up at the security line and two KTNs show up". You tell the airline the number to put in the known traveler field, usually when you book your ticket. As far as what happens at the security line, if your boarding pass has "TSA Precheck" on it, then you're eligible for the Precheck line. That's it.

Sign her up for NEXUS.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
For anyone curious though, Global Entry and NEXUS (when added afterwards) use the same PASSID / KTN, or at least, I was not given a new number post-NEXUS approval.
Rare and zmb like this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald

Thank you!
No. As zmb said, they are completely separate. CBP doesn't issue a "new TSA precheck KTN number". They assign their own "membership number" aka "PASSID". It's perfectly fine to have both a CBP number and a TSA number, and many people do.

There is no way to "show up at the security line and two KTNs show up". You tell the airline the number to put in the known traveler field, usually when you book your ticket. As far as what happens at the security line, if your boarding pass has "TSA Precheck" on it, then you're eligible for the Precheck line. That's it.

Sign her up for NEXUS.
Originally Posted by Polytonic
For anyone curious though, Global Entry and NEXUS (when added afterwards) use the same PASSID / KTN, or at least, I was not given a new number post-NEXUS approval.
Please continue the discussion of PASSID/KTN in the following thread:Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Rare likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 5:03 pm

Sign her up for NEXUS.
TY!
Rare likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:33 pm
bog

Originally Posted by bog
Just applied today for my infant daughter, born January. Can't believe I waited so long to file for her lol. Fingers crossed it goes quick.
Still waiting.
Surprised on the delay. My infant son only took two weeks! And that was back when we had longer delays than this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 3:31 pm

Cross posting a datapoint since it's my first time applying for Nexus after being a long-time GE member but I got my conditional approval after about 450 days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.