Search

Openskies + FT = Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Openskies + FT = Amsterdam

We had a fantastic time.

It all started on a cold day Dec 11. Our friend/driver had to take us to the airport about 5 hours before our flight. I e-mailed the nice gal at Openskies that we were arriving really early and she got permission from her manager to give us access to the Terrace Lounge. So this was very cool way to start out.
Incidentally on our return Dec 14, as we checked in I asked if we could have access to the lounge, the nice agent said sure let me give you a couple of invitations. So we had unexpected access to the lounge roundtrip

Of course, the real treat was getting to experience prem+.
The aircraft is laid out in three sections; biz in the first section - our only priviledge here was to walk past the lay flat neat seats with 4-5 happy occupants. Walking through the second section we saw 7-8 prem+ passengers just about as happy as biz class folks. Then back to ‘our’ prem+ section, number three which turned out to be our own private cabin all to ourselves. Since it was just us two in the back we were asked to come sit in the middle section to watch the safety program so they did not have to do it twice - no problem at all though. After a quick five minutes we were back to our private cabin. My wife and I had two wonderful gals to serve us food and booze and movies and tuck us in when we were ready to fall asleep
Amazingly, with head winds, it only took six hours to get to Schiphol. Eight and a half hours to get back to JFK. Somehow I did not mind the long trip back- plenty to keep us entertained. Return trip had a few more customers. However, the service was great.

All in all I give OpenSkies two thumbs up for good service, decent food, had no problems either direction with entertainment equipment, seats were very comfy, the extra unexpected lounge access describes the effort put forth by the folks at Openskies to make the trip the best it can be!

If interested here are more details of our time in Amsterdam.
http://bromeliadliving.blogspot.com/search/label/Travel

As this is worth repeating I will say it again, thank you Randy, FT and OpenSkies.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Nice report! Looks like y'all had a wonderful time. Reminds me that I need to finish up my report this afternoon.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:19 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I enjoyed your blog, particularly as I’m on my way to Amsterdam in May (with 18 y.o. daughter in tow). I haven’t been in 30 years ago.

I was horrified to note that the Heineken brewery tour cost 15 Euros. As an (England-based) college student in the late ‘70’s/early 80’s I used to start almost each day that I was in Amsterdam at the brewery. It was free back then and after the tour there was about 30 minutes of as much as you could drink and eat…in fact, I noticed that you would see the same people over and over, and the veterans were trying to hurry along the guide to maximize drinking time. Being a youth hostel kid, it was the best meal of the day. Maybe this is why the tour is no longer free. I’ll tell you, nothing puts the Van Gogh Museum into proper focus more than shot-gunning three or so Heinies at 9 a.m.

Even sans-The Girl with the Pearl Earning, there are some fabulous Vermeer’s in Amsterdam, not to mention some fun fake Vermeer’s by Van Meegeren, the guy who faked a bunch of masters during WWII, and even flimflammed Hermann Goering with a fake Vermeer.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:46 am

How did you win this trip? Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Bretteee
You missed it!

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...-flyertalkcom/
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:41 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Had a similarly great experience to ORY, same "contest." Glad to hear that so many FTers are having nothing but great things to say about Open Skies. Nice to hear some unainmous praises about an airline these days
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Here is how...and what fun it was.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10623626-post1.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10746501-post67011.html
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jailer
I enjoyed your blog, particularly as I’m on my way to Amsterdam in May (with 18 y.o. daughter in tow). I haven’t been in 30 years ago.
Thanks! All credit goes to Mrs Clincher for the blog
I think you'll enjoy Amsterdam in May even more than we did - at times we were a bit cold in December

Originally Posted by Jailer
I was horrified to note that the Heineken brewery tour cost 15 Euros.
The Heineken Experience is completely remodeled- honestly I believe worth the $15 euros for several hours of fun entertainment and two stops for beer...although food and all you can drink sounds fun too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.