Further Tales of First Class Decadence as Experienced On British Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Further Tales of First Class Decadence as Experienced On British Airways

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Love the report! Glad to see that Warre's is still on hand, though not, if I remember, the vintage they carried back in '04.

Have a BA First trip SFO-LHR-SEA coming up in May and you are just whetting my appetite!
Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
"Can I come over and read trip reports with you guys sometime?......"

Absolutely! Anytime. I'd be honored. And of course we want to read about the return. Why would you think otherwise?

The next time you tour the mountain west, swing through SLC and look me up. We are kindred spirits.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 4:50 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
A true masterpiece...^^^ (as usual)
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:54 am

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
What fantastic writing! Count me as your newest fan, Seat 2A!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:24 pm

Hey Seat 2A, nice to catch up with you again at MEL last weekend! Sorry we couldn't squeeze the opening round of AFL football into my/your schedule, but as you probably know, the game result was the one I was looking for!

I hope you are enjoying the NT weather and, like the rest of the posters on this thread, look forward to the next instalment of your report. I know you were heading off to Adelaide on Tiger....... BA First to Tiger - now that is a step down!!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:57 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Absolutely amazing. A real pleasure to read
Old Mar 28, 2008, 5:55 am

Your trip report has just given me the impetus to write another of my ( quite inferior to yours) trip reports about my upcoming LAX-SYD-SIN-HKG-NRT-LAX trip ... THANK YOU...
Old Mar 28, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, SPG LTG, AA, LH
Just today I was wondering whether Seat 2A was still around - I hadn't been to the Trip Reports forum in quite a while.
Glad to see that some things never change. This should be a good read over the weekend.

^
Old Mar 29, 2008, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Talking

G'Day!

Just back from a great day out in the Alice Springs Desert Park. Sunny, dry and 27° - just perfect. Afterwards, I had a camel burger at a local restaurant in town. It was a big rip off, unfortunately. The tiny little patty tasted okay, though I'd rather pay more for a decently sized portion.

Anyway, I just want to take a moment to once again thank all of you who've taken time to respond to this report and address a couple of the most recent posts:

Moomba: "Did you ever consider QF from LHR? IMHO their food far surpasses that which BA has to offer. Perhaps as a result of flying too many F sectors on BA in quick succession I have found the menu to be sadly lacking in variety."

My First Class travels are generally limited to airlines I can book via the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan. Qantas bookings are only eligible between North America and Australia/NZ. I must admit to having hoped in the past that BA's flight to Australia from London or vice versa might be cancelled and I'd be re-booked on Qantas. Mind you, this isn't borne of any unhappiness with BA but rather a simple desire to try out Qantas.

From your excellent report on QF LHR-MEL First Class services, it's clear that Qantas provides a most enticing menu. I particularly liked the All Day Dining menu between HKG and MEL. It's hard to beat the consistent quality of service from BA's First Class cabin crews though, whereas other TRs, not to mention Flight Check reports in publications such as Business Traveller magazine have suggested that Qantas' premium cabin crews can be a bit inconsistent. Regardless, I've love to fly Qantas from North America someday. Ideally, my trip would include the nonstop JFK-LAX flight (Dinner) and the daytime LAX-SYD departure (Lunch and Dinner) returning via NZ.

Euan: "This makes me even more excited about my first FIRST trip with BA in September from LHR-SFO... even more so because my g/f doesn't yet know we're flying FIRST"

I love stories like this. She may be want to be your wife after this trip! Before the trip, talk it up about the long flight and the small, tight seats in Economy. The lousy food, preflight crowds and the hassles of security. But hey, it's only ten hours, honey... we'll be there before you know it!

RTW4: "Your trip report has just given me the impetus to write another of my trip reports about my upcoming LAX-SYD-SIN-HKG-NRT-LAX trip"

All First Class, I presume? Will there be menu transcripts? Regardless, that routing will make for a fine trip report. I'm sure I speak for many when I say we'll be looking forward to it. ^^

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 29, 2008 at 4:01 pm
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:30 am

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Great report, anxiously awaiting next installment!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I love stories like this. She may be want to be your wife after this trip! Before the trip, talk it up about the long flight and the small, tight seats in Economy. The lousy food, preflight crowds and the hassles of security. But hey, it's only ten hours, honey... we'll be there before you know it!
Lol. Well she think's she's going CW (she flies a lot so knows about airmiles, etc). Still will be a nice surprise for her
Old Apr 12, 2008, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... not to mention Flight Check reports in publications such as Business Traveller magazine have suggested that Qantas' premium cabin crews can be a bit inconsistent. ...
There certainly have been many reports of inconsistent premium cabin service on QF, especially Westward across the pacific. However, I have seen quite a few good comments about the UK based QF crew serving QF betwixt LHR and BKK/HKG/SIN. These would indicate they are amongst the best.

Last edited by serfty; Apr 13, 2008 at 9:09 pm
Old Apr 13, 2008, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just like to add my thanks for posting your reports, what a refreshing change to read without the usual cliche's like 'ticked all the right boxes' 'nice touch' and 'hit the spot'.

Loved the pics of Alaska. ^

Last edited by HIDDY; Apr 14, 2008 at 6:00 am
Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:45 am

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
What an amazing trip report!

You might seriously want to think about a second career as a travel writer.

Oh and since you don't use Kiehl's

"SMOOTH LIPS
Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1, 15ml
This famous lip balm will keep from drying during your flight as well as helping to relieve chapped or cracked lips. Lip Balm #1 with an added SPF 4 sunscreen protects lips from the effects of sun, wind and the elements once you arrive at your destination. Dab onto lips regularly during your flight."

You might be kind and send them to me as I live off of the stuff.
I kid... or do I?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Soon I start my return to the US via Qantas 738, BA 777 and BA 744 along with a couple of AA MD-80s. That will be written as a separate report and will include possible trials and tribulations at BA's new Terminal 5 at Heathrow
More than the usual anticipation of one of his excellent trip reports, I am really looking forward to the Seat 2A description of LHR's T-5 and (if the timing worked out as I think it has) his experiences during American Airlines' recent aircraft inspections.

(That's an impatient hint, Elton)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.