Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2007, 2:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Here is my list of states. There are some unexpected ones due to odd routings on certain flights.

ND
SD
WY
CO
UT
AZ
NM
TX
OK
KS
MO
IL
MI
NY
MA
NH
VT
MT
WI
MN
IA
NE
NV
CA
AR
MS
TN
KY
WV
MD
PA
CT
AK
WA
OH
NJ
OR
ID
LA
FL
SC
NC
VA
DE

So I think that is 44. Missed HI by a couple hundred miles on AKL-YVR and IN & AL by just a few miles.

map
Old Nov 6, 2007, 2:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Some other trivia.
  • 4th inaugural flight = AKL-YVR. I'd hoped for a 5th inaugural flight the following week after this report but the airline changed the date, time and route - I'm still working on it.
  • 43 unique nonstop routes to/from AKL, the most for any airport.
  • most different airlines (not counting separately subsidiaries or feeder airlines) flown in/out of any airport = US is 11th at LAX
  • most different terminals (not counting separately satellite terminals) flown in/out of any airport = LAX T2 is 7th terminal, ahead of 5 at JFK and 4 at LHR.

Apologies for the length of the report. When I start I am never too sure how much time I will have en route to type up a trip report.

I would still like to add some concluding comments and comparisons. Stay tuned. It will likely be a few days. I'm currently getting organised for the ZQN Do. After more than 146,000 flown miles in 4 weeks it seems odd to have whole days with no flying.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 6, 2007 at 3:32 pm
Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Madness - sheer beautiful madness
Wickersley likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:55 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Cool

simongr, you aren't that far behind Kiwi Flyer with your DONE4's and lengthy threads on AFF...
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:24 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks Kiwi for this great TR and congratulations on your QF LT Gold.

When you were in MIA you said there was no BA First lounge. I remember when I was there last year there was a BA Terrance Lounge for First (on the left hand side) and one for Business on the right hand side.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
"Apologies for the length of the report"

Please dont apologise for the length of the report, the more detail the better. It's been your reports among others that have inspired me to do round the world travel.

As always, a great read.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Thanks Kiwi for this great TR and congratulations on your QF LT Gold.

When you were in MIA you said there was no BA First lounge. I remember when I was there last year there was a BA Terrance Lounge for First (on the left hand side) and one for Business on the right hand side.
So the lounge bouncers won again Why, why, why is BA so shockingly poor at giving lounge access based on alliance status? As I may have mentioned, just once at LHR (not just this trip but ever) I was directed to the right lounge (when not travelling first) by the BA lounge bouncer and I nearly fell over in shock.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:40 pm

Programs: QF WP + PG
Thanks KiwiFlyer for a very detailed trip report, I love how you just fly because you can and you want too. I echo the comment about growing wings though.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:42 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
So the lounge bouncers won again Why, why, why is BA so shockingly poor at giving lounge access based on alliance status? As I may have mentioned, just once at LHR (not just this trip but ever) I was directed to the right lounge (when not travelling first) by the BA lounge bouncer and I nearly fell over in shock.
Well, it seems they won again, true. I remember that I had to talk my way into the MIA lounge as well. The guy behind the counter then compared my card to the printouts he had in front of him. Obviously he had never seen a Qantas Platinum card.
The good news is, you didn't miss much. Just like at LHR, the first lounge is not much better than the business lounge. It was even more crowded than the right hand side because it was so small.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:04 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Apologies for the lack of summary. In the week since I finished this trip not only have I had a do to organise and run, rearrange my schedule for a changed date of some more inaugural flights and do those inaugural flights, flown several more flights, deal with some personal issues, and also work has intruded.

I'll write up the summary when I get a chance.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
I am just disappointed with your lack of commitment KF - make an effort man :P
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:13 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Link to a cautionary tale for those doing middle eastern turns, such as I have done several times (this trip and others) at this time of year. Who knew there could be that much fog in the Middle East? I thought hurricanes in the Caribbean, typhoons in the Pacific, fog at San Francisco and moisture (any even drizzle) at London were the only weather hazards to watch out for on this trip.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Is there a page that details scheduling and cost of trip?

You are an amazing flyer. I'm in awe. Can you give a few details about how you can afford to pay for and have the time for this wonderful activity?

Thanks for the fun. I read this today in about an hour straight through and learned a few things I hadn't figured out about flying. Thank you!!
Old Jul 2, 2011, 3:12 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

This trip was, like many of mine, a combination of cheap origins, upgrades and awards.

Many countries have longer annual leave than USA, and I also try to optimise travel over weekends (departing late Friday and arriving back early Monday for instance) and public holidays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.