Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Singapore (SQ) new first and business class, plus a medley of 12 F & C SQ flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore (SQ) new first and business class, plus a medley of 12 F & C SQ flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
For SIN-BKK-SIN and SIN-CGK-SIN (Bangkok and Jakarta respectively), yes.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:38 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: A few
Another tour de force, Kiwi Flyer. Great report. ^
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
SUMMARY of NEW PRODUCT 77W

My thoughts on the new products are that the new first class is disappointing. Yes it is very nice, but not a big change from the existing skysuite. Some features I don’t like or thought could have been done better (eg storage of carry-ons, having a more comfortable seat mode). The IFE problem I experienced is likely just teething problem with the new system – I don’t expect it to be any less reliable than Wisemen 3000.

The new business class is very nice and a good step up from the existing spacebed. But, I’ll withhold judgement until I try out a non-bulkhead seat as I think the experience in those could be quite different to the bulkhead seat.

SQ has introduced significant increases in costs on 77W flights (eg surcharges on the specific flights for *A and other RTW products, double Kris Flyer mileage for awards and upgrades) and restricted availability of discounted paid booking classes and awards. Clearly they feel the products are so much better than the competition that they can do this. I am not so sure, and while I still have a choice (ie while the 77W roll out is still in early stages) it won’t be an automatic decision on my part to take the 77W flights.
I really appreciate the summary post. It's very helpful in knowing whether to put effort into seeking out the new product.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I really appreciate the summary post. It's very helpful in knowing whether to put effort into seeking out the new product.
Agreed, thank you very much!^ I have a few segments in the new C, so this makes me want to try the product even more!

Was the PTV screen problem in bad in C as it was in F?
Old Jan 14, 2007, 6:15 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Nice Reports

Nice reports. Just a couple of questions;

1) From the time you left Auckland to the time you arrived, how many days had elapsed?
2) If you don't mind me asking, how much $ was this itin? And did you book all sectors out of AKL?

FWIW, out of HKG, the 77W flights to SIN in J or F are the same price as the other flights. However, discounted Y fares are not applicable to the 77W flights. I have a M+ award ticket booked in Feb/March which includes a SIN-HKG sector in Y on the 77W so i'll report on that later!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Interesting stuff! Loads of detail ^

So between leaving Auckland and arriving back at Auckland how much of it was spent outside and aircraft or the airport?
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:45 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
I had jet lag just reading this report!

Another gem KiwiFlyer^ . Perhaps you should have considered a career in journalism?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 2:13 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
Interesting stuff! Loads of detail ^

So between leaving Auckland and arriving back at Auckland how much of it was spent outside and aircraft or the airport?
Well, I've read the reports^ ^ and I think the answer is 0 !!!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 2:49 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Many thanks for another comprehensive review - didn't quite catch the part about having only 30m between planes to shower yourself with DomPerignon in the lounge ?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Thanks for all the thanks.

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Was the PTV screen problem in bad in C as it was in F?
From memory the screens in business aren't widescreen format so no don't have the problem of first.

Originally Posted by slickalick
1) From the time you left Auckland to the time you arrived, how many days had elapsed?
2) If you don't mind me asking, how much $ was this itin? And did you book all sectors out of AKL?
Almost 4 days of travel. There were several tickets involved including some unused bits of tickets.

Originally Posted by Fraser
Originally Posted by kpc
Correct. I think this was my longest trip solely in airports/onboard planes (depending on whether the visit to airport Mariott at Newark counts as staying in the airport or not during the double inaugural worlds longest flight SIN-EWR-SIN plus extra flights), although I hadn't set out deliberately to do this. If it hadn't been so cold and gloomy I probably would have gone into Paris - I brought small euro change with me in preparation.

Originally Posted by MrSydney
I had jet lag just reading this report!

Another gem KiwiFlyer^ . Perhaps you should have considered a career in journalism?
No thanks - I don't think I have the patience to write properly. My reports tend to be a stream of conciousness from memory rather than something I plan out.

Originally Posted by harryhv
Many thanks for another comprehensive review - didn't quite catch the part about having only 30m between planes to shower yourself with DomPerignon in the lounge ?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by kpc
I read it through as well and couldn't quite believe/make out why someone would fly 28,000 miles and never leave an airport...then I remembered, this is the Kiwi
Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:43 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
With the eating, drinking (unlike CGK’s flights we didn’t run out of Krug!),
Well, you are lucky that your fellow pax do not prefer Krug. According to the crew, in each F, only 2 bottles of Krug will be on board, and more Dom. The reason is that according to the surveys, majority SQ F pax prefer Dom.

My thoughts on the new products are that the new first class is disappointing. Yes it is very nice, but not a big change from the existing skysuite. Some features I don’t like or thought could have been done better (eg storage of carry-ons, having a more comfortable seat mode). The IFE problem I experienced is likely just teething problem with the new system – I don’t expect it to be any less reliable than Wisemen 3000.

The new business class is very nice and a good step up from the existing spacebed. But, I’ll withhold judgement until I try out a non-bulkhead seat as I think the experience in those could be quite different to the bulkhead seat.

SQ has introduced significant increases in costs on 77W flights (eg surcharges on the specific flights for *A and other RTW products, double Kris Flyer mileage for awards and upgrades) and restricted availability of discounted paid booking classes and awards. Clearly they feel the products are so much better than the competition that they can do this. I am not so sure, and while I still have a choice (ie while the 77W roll out is still in early stages) it won’t be an automatic decision on my part to take the 77W flights.
Isn't it called an Enhanced Skysuite? Well, I do like the seat and the bed, and most of all the new china. The bed linen is so soft.. and the PJs is great. But, yes, I don't like the fact that there is no overhead bin. Overall cabin seems too cramp. The F in the nose of 744 does feel much more spacious. And you have seen me with my carry-on. Thus 77W in F is not a good choice for my carry-on habits.

The best improvement s definitely on the business class seats. But again, after 45 minutes on that C cabin, I recalled, I wish I would rather be in F cabin. The salt and pepper snowman is cute. But I don't like the new china in C at all. Looks so cheap!

And yes, I agree with the you that the changes in KF redemptions as well as the surcharges related to this 77W, indeed do not make me doing full rerouting just to catch 77W. I am pretty happy with my SQ11/12 in the old SkySuite.

But, overall, I must say, both SQ new C and F are still ahead from the other airlines, IMHO. But indeed, it's still not perfect.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 4:45 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Well I was away sampling the delights of old F in SQ this weekend and only got to read these reports today.

Fabulous reporting again by KiwiFlyer. It is nice to know there are people out there that do nuttier flying things than I

So far from reports and people I have spoken to it is a 4 out of 4 thumbs down for new F on SQ. I wonder if the powers that be in SQ are eliciting feedback from customers on the new seats and if they are getting worried?
Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:20 pm

Programs: BA GLD
Fabulous report! Thanks for sharing.

I must say I'm a bit disappointed though with the new F/C review. Well perhaps disappointed is the wrong word. It's hard to live up to the expectations created by the SQ public relations machine as I've discovered in the past. But it still beats most of the competition on most days. I wonder if they'll ever release an award seat for United Mileage Plus members on one of the newly configured aircraft.

I was not aware that Singapore Airlines did the "sit in first class, get business class service" thing when F was unoccupied. Interesting.

Looking forward to the next adventure.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 6:23 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
[...]Some features I don’t like or thought could have been done better (eg storage of carry-ons, having a more comfortable seat mode). [...] The IFE problem I experienced is likely just teething problem with the new system

[...] and while I still have a choice (ie while the 77W roll out is still in early stages) it won’t be an automatic decision on my part to take the 77W flights.
Totally agree on these points. On my flight in F from CDG to SIN my IFE crashed several times and had to be restarted several time
I found the seat to be very hard. The sitting position is not very comfortable and IMO the seat tends to be too large...

I found the bed to be too small as well. Ok I'm tall (1m92), but I had the feeling that I had a longer bed in BA's J product...

I've never flown old F, but will try to book myself on old F on my next SQ F flights. Oh well, I just remembered that my next F leg SIN-ZRH is the new F as well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.