SYR-SEA 3 days straight MR trip report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2006, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond

First, please allow me to say that this is my first trip report I post here. Hopefully some of this will help another FTer who is on the same SYR-SEA MR:

INTRO

I booked two sets of trips SYR-SEA, one for early October (10/6,7 and 8) and the other in late February( 2/24,25 and 26). Both involve three days straight of flying, yes 3 red eyes back to back to back! Yes I like to test the limits of my body. Looking backwards in 2005 where I did the same thing involving HNL & AMS, I thought this should be a piece of cake.

I am NW Platinum and a DL virgin. The purpose of this trip is to get me enough NW Worldperks EQMs to achieve Gold Elite status along with the pure fun of doing this unconventional hobby A lot of my comments will pertain to my DL experience from a virgin point of view.

I booked all tickets online at delta.com using my Skymiles number since it was just faster to purchase. I did call DL to add my NW Worlperks number right away. Over the next three months or so there were several plane changes & schedule changes. One of the changes was making my turnaround from SEA impossible so I had to call the reissue desk several times to change my routing. Many times also my exit row seats were changed automatically by DL when there was a change in my reservation. It was frustrating to keep my exit rows since I had to log in to delta.com and choose them again. A positive on DL is that you can choose seats more than 90 days ahead. Many time changes were a negligible 1 to 2 minute differential, message to DL: Dont lose my seats for such a pitiful change!

Whenever I called I also asked to confirm that my NW Worldperks number was entered. For the most part it was not even though I was assured of it the last time I talked to them. A few days before my first set of flights I called and asked them to go into my records and completely wipe out my DL Skymiles number because I just did not want to take the chance to get Skymiles and then have to fight to get DL to change them to Worldperks miles. That appeared to work since all the boarding passes I consequently received had no Skymiles # and all had my Worlperks# with Sky Team Elite Plus printed.

I originally intended to drive to SYR from Michigan but I was not feeling very well the day before and I just did not feel like I could make it back home after flying for 3 days straight. Luckily, I found a regular award ticket just the day before and I used the US Bank Visa coupon (I cancelled the card two or three months ago!) so it cost me 17,500 miles. If I was feeling 100% I would probably drive it.

DAY 1

DTW-SYR NW1556 10.36 DEP

Battlefield upgrade, no sweat. I guess EUA does not run on award tickets when booked the day before? Very nice flight with a sweetheart FA who kept calling me Mr. Pap, its long and not easy to say.

SYR-DTW NW1555 12.40 DEP

I was originally booked on NW1759 departing SYR at 4.14. But why spend time in SYR when I could spend it at the DTW NW WC? So, I immediately went outside of security, downstairs and to the TA desk. There I tried to use the kiosk but the machine kept choking. Therefore, I had to talk to the NW TA who proceeded to print my boarding passes and, beautiful thing, all four boarding passes spit out! She went through them and she said wait a minute, how long are you staying in SEA? I said not too long, I am coming right back, got this crazy hobby of flying everywhere that the red tail takes me with a smile, she thought it was amusing and handed me my boarding passes, thank you mam. I asked if its possible to catch the 12.40 flight back to DTW and she said I can put you on the standby list. Cool. I raced upstairs and I heard my name called as I walked up to the GA who gladly handed me my 3-B seat. It was the same plane and the same sweetheart FA is shocked to see me again on the plane Mr. Pap, that was sure a short stay in SYR, wasnt it?. It sure was mam, may I have some water please? Again, short and sweet flight, on time.

DTW SEA NW1555 DEP 7.37pm

I spent some time in the main DTW WC and tried the shower for the first time, not bad (but nothing like the shower facility in SIN at the old club NW used!). Love the free wifi!

This was a very full flight. I checked to see (always in a very nice way and smiling and not acting demanding or desperate) if there are any first class seats left with the GA who told me there is just one left and she will call me if I get it. Then I hear my name along with a bunch of other passengers. I thought it was weird that she decided to give it to me so soon but why are all the others called too? Strange. So I pick up my new boarding pass and I now have a new coach seat along with the others. The GA said reclassification, which she explained it is now a different plane and some passengers had to change seats, therefore the new seats and boarding passes. I noticed one guy flipping out with one of the two GAs who was not having a great day, the guy was calling NW and talking to somebody and moaning how he now had a middle seat! Now they are all boarding and I am in a bind: do I board now and get me space to store my Travel Pro carryon or do I take my chances and stick around to see if I get the upgrade? If I dont get it I may have to scramble to store my carryon and could not move as fast to depart to catch the red eye back (with less than an hour turnaround time). I very diplomatically go next to the same GA and look at the screaming guy with contempt and shake my head and roll my eyes and I ask her nicely if I should stick around or board, she says stick aroundand then two minutes later she motions me over and hands me a 3-B boarding pass! I wholeheartedly thank her and still look with contempt to the screaming guy (yeah, he is still going at it on the phone now!). There is no doubt in my mind that if the guy boarded he got the middle seat he deserved! Lesson to all: Be ALWAYS nice to the GAs!!

Excellent flight again. I had one of the best meals I ever had with NW, the pot roast was fantastic! The flight was full, no bumps. It is amazing how NW does it lately, it has been sooo long since I got me bumped!

SEA-ATL DL 616 DEP 10.30pm

We arrived half an hour early in the S Terminal. Followed the signs to the other terminals and went downstairs to catch the train to terminal D. Plenty of time to freshen up, change to more comfortable clothes, and recharge my cell phone and laptop a little. We left from Gate 12 and I could see a CRC nearby but just did not have time to visit, maybe tomorrow. I tried to test my luck asking nicely for an upgrade for a Sky Team Elite Plus member but this was surely a no go. The standard response we can not verify you are a NW Platinum and we just do not offer upgrades to them, sorrybut you do get priority boardingYeahh, oh well, my exit row seat would do. My first time on a DL plane was interesting. I found the seats looking okay being leather light blue but not that comfortable. I guess I am so used to sitting up front with NW that probably it is not a fair comparison. I found the service pretty good but I wished they did not wake me (not intentionally) so early for a morning snack (free). Slept good. The other interesting thing about this flight that it was FULL, NO empty seats and no bumps! I will get used to this by the end of my trip!

In ATL I headed over to the CRC by Gate E14. Lovely showers! Almost no food, just the regular pastries and biscottis. Nice dcor again. But having no free wifi sure sucks. Paid $4.99 for a 24 hr connection at the ATL airport, tmobil costs more.

ATL-SYR DL 4575 DEP 9.17am

CRJ flight with Atlantic Southeast. Exit Row seat made it a little more bearable. Knocked my head, it always happens in these small planes. Very nice and personable FA. Flight was nice and on time.

DAY 2

SYR-JFK DL 6186 DEP 2.26pm

I met FTer TP who was leaving for SYR-ATL and then SEA and we chatted for a few minutes before his flight and told each other see you in SEA.

Now this is where things got interesting! This small jet flight operated by Freedom Airlines was late coming in from JFK. Time was posted on the screens for a departure of 3.40pm (instead of 2.26pm). My JFK-SEA plane was not leaving until 6pm so I thought I should be fine. We boarded the plane about 3.45pm, left the gate at 4pm and took off at 4.15pm. We landed in JFK at 5.25pm, way too many planes lining up to take off and taxiing to the gates, we finally reached our gate at 5.50pm and them made a mad dash to get to my SEA gate, along with several other fellow passengers. We needed a miracle and we all knew it so when we got there we were not surprised that the plane had left. Chatting with the FA on the plane earlier on the way we were told that flights to JFK are always late, JFK is always so busy.

Needless to say I was not a happy camper. The options presented to me by the nice DL rep were not that good. I could catch the next flight to SEA leaving tomorrow morning. I say that is not good. I tell her I am doing this trip for the miles and I have another set of flights coming up tomorrow, waiting for the SEA flight tomorrow morning is just not an option for me, can you get me anywhere on the West Coast where I could catch the red eye back to ATL?. She checks and the only place I could do this was LAS with a 40 minute turnaround. If my JFK-LAS would be delayed then my whole MR could be severely impacted! So I had to either gamble on LAS or take a hotel voucher (initially, the DL rep did not want to offer me a hotel voucher, she played the weather or traffic control delay, we are not obligated card, I made her (always in a nice way) to call her supervisor to get the real reason for the delay and she came right back and told me that they would pay for the vouchernot only that, she told me all JFK hotels were booked and it would have to be a LGA hotel, and I would have to pay for the cab!!)So, I cut it off right there and said book me to LAS please.

So I went over to the DL Business Elite Lounge (that doubles as a CRC) by Gate A1. Very nice dcor and much better selection of food! It has showers but did not use them. Talking to Bikeguy on the phone about my diversion to LAS instead of SEA, he suggested I ask for an amenity pack. I did and they had a whats that? look on their face.I said, never mind. As I was heading over to catch my flight to LAS it hit me that I did not ask to be booked in First Class when they were rebooking me, FT crime, shame on me!

JFK-LAS DL 741

The flight was to depart at 8pm and did leave the gate on time. Then like a turtle we moved through the queue of planes lining up to take off and we did not take off until 8.52pm! So, I was already making preliminary plans to probably spend a night in LAS. Exit Row seat. Head phones were $2 and we watched the Breakup. Nice to have a movie available, I wished NW would do the same, at least for First Class! Plenty of free snacks offered. Despite the late start, we arrived in LAS 35 minutes early and my red eye back to ATL was leaving just two gates down the hall!

LAS ATL DL 714
I did not realize until I got aboard that this was a Song flight, no more Song virgin either. Funky colors. Got exit row seat 9-E with superb leg room and TV on the side. Nice to have available live TV but I just went straight to sleep and did not wake up until we landed!

ATL-SYR DL4575

Plenty of time to visit the CRC again by E14. I love the showers there, and the small packets with toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, shaving cream and mouthwash come very handy since the Gestapo TSA at SYR managed to find every single bottle non qualifying toiletry I had! I had to pay another $4.99 for just two hours of internet access; I do appreciate having it free in WCs. I did not realize when I got my boarding pass that they gave me seat 7b instead of 8b exit which I had chosen online. Shame on me, oh well. Not even close for a bump again. I met TP again who was coming back from SEA and told him my little excursion to LAS instead.

Day 3

SYR-DTW NW1759

Hung out with TP and exchanged tips and FT stories. Back on the same itinerary as Day 1 with NW flights outbound through DTW. I tried to get into the earlier SYR-DTW flight leaving at 12.40 instead of 4.15 but it was cancelled. Spending almost five hours in the SYR airport is no fun. Again a full flight with no bumps! BF upgrade easily.

DTW-SEA NW429

At the DTW WC I was told that coach was overbooked by 17 and I thought this was my best chance for a bump. I was also first on the upgrade list and got upgraded easily. Boarding was temporarily halted because a passenger got sick and they had to clean it up, yuck! Sitting next to the GA she told me to hold off on boarding (she also had told me earlier that 17 over was not correct, more like 7, I probably misheard). I waited until almost all passengers boarded and then the GA told me she wont need my seat since she managed to get everyone on board for yet another full flight. I forgot to ask for amenity pack!! Got seat in the last row of First Class and when the FA got to me the pot roast dinner was sold out, what a bummer. Another lesson: if you are hungry and want a choice make sure you sit close to the front in FC because they may run out of your preferred choice! I met Mark who lived about three miles away from me, in the construction business who was going out to SEA with his boss to bid on a contract since business is slow in Michigan. Isnt that something, bidding for construction jobs in Seattle since Michigan is very slow?

SEA-ATL DL616

I had a short time to visit the small but nice CRC. I had exit row 27-C in a Song plane. 9E would have much more leg room but could not get it. A very big guy was next to me in the middle seat which made the flight the most uncomfortable of all 3 red eyes I took. I proceeded to win one round of the trivia game in the IFE, I tried to watch some TV but I just fell asleep right away. If it was not a red eye, I probably would be on that addictive trivia game for the duration

ATL-SYR DL4575

I again had a nice shower at the CRC by gate E14. I was greeted with Youre back again! Yes, I said, this is my last time I promise Shower B has a little better water pressure than shower A. On Monday morning the ATL airport was very busy with many service men around.

SYR-DTW NW1555 Award

I had no problem getting upgraded to the 12.40pm flight instead of waiting until 4 again. And for the first time I used my upgrade companion Platinum benefit after asking the
GA who told me that there were still 3 available seats in F. I was going to upgrade a kind of cute young lady behind me in line but she started biting her nails in a non so feminine way so I then spotted a soldier and went up to him and asked him if he would like to fly First Class. He was very appreciative and it made feel me good that I at least could do something for them for putting their life on the line.

All mileage posted very quick but only one leg has not posted, the very first SYR-DTW on Day 1. A fax to the Platinum line did not work yet. Reminder that the DL flights Platinum bonus is 100% and not 125%.

This was fun again and cant wait to do it again next February! All the February flights are through JFK and I am praying for another schedule change so I can reroute them either through DTW or ATL.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
Nice report. I'm doing two of these early next year and also have schedule change issues that I haven't dealt with yet.

I'm not sure where the CO President's Club is in SEA in relation to the CRC, but they do have free wifi in there. I always use the P'Club in ATL (concourse D) on any kind of layover to use the free wifi there too. Maybe an option for you on your second run.

I assume then that the CRC agent did not hassle you about using the showers... good news as one will most definetly be in order for me.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
In the spirit of full disclosure, may I be so presumptuous as to inquire as to:
1) the fare for your MR?
2) how many miles did you accrue?
3) was it worth it?
Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
to geoffco: Thanks for the tips on the Priority Clubs in SEA and ATL, I will check them out next time. The CRC agents in ATL were really really nice about the showers, it sure is a comforting thought and refreshing feeling having one after each red eye!

to deltalirioius: Each ticket was $139.20 times 3 $417.60. It was a B fare so it gave an extra 50% EQMs along with Platinum bonuses (125% on NW metal and 100% on DL metal). Final accounting is on hold since I am still working to get my first SYR-DTW miles credited. More details on this fare check the MR forum.

Originally Posted by geoffco
Nice report. I'm doing two of these early next year and also have schedule change issues that I haven't dealt with yet.

I'm not sure where the CO President's Club is in SEA in relation to the CRC, but they do have free wifi in there. I always use the P'Club in ATL (concourse D) on any kind of layover to use the free wifi there too. Maybe an option for you on your second run.

I assume then that the CRC agent did not hassle you about using the showers... good news as one will most definetly be in order for me.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Nice, detailed report. I will make sure to reread it before my 3 trips.

I'm really hoping for some Song planes and perhaps a schedule change allowing for a NW partner codeshare.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
Originally Posted by gpapadop
to geoffco: Thanks for the tips on the Priority Clubs in SEA and ATL, I will check them out next time. The CRC agents in ATL were really really nice about the showers, it sure is a comforting thought and refreshing feeling having one after each red eye!
My frugality while traveling involves at least two rules: I won't pay for food or internet in the airport. I most definetly get my $$ worth out of club membership .
Old Oct 19, 2006, 1:23 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Great report, thanks for sharing! I did two of these back-to-back (ex-SEA) last weekend. Got upgraded on all legs (except the RJ flights from/to ATL), so it was bearable. Driving back to Portland on Sunday night was another story, though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.