Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The Summer Series - AKL WLG CHC and DUD with NZ (photo report)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Summer Series - AKL WLG CHC and DUD with NZ (photo report)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:01 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
Next stop BHE Regional lounge
I was wondering how long before that 'B' word would appear...
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:00 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Lets face it - BHE will never get a lounge, at least not in our life time!
Old Jan 19, 2006, 5:48 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MrSydney
Lets face it - BHE will never get a lounge, at least not in our life time!
You never know!
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

I especially liked this bit
"Mr Bolt said an upgrade to the terminal would also help prevent overcrowding..."
Old Jan 19, 2006, 7:47 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
You'd be surprised - it actually does get very overcrowded. Difficult to believe, I know, but true. It's because when they built the new terminal not very many years ago (less than 10 IIRC) they really didn't allow for any traffic growth. The growth since then has been considerable... which may explain two novel experiences coming into BHE recently:
1) On approach, having to go into a holding pattern (admittedly only one short circuit) due to "air traffic congestion at BHE!"
2) More recently, having to wait in the penalty box on arrival until there was a free gate to use for us to disembark, as all (four!) gates were filled with 2xNZ flights, 1x Origin Pacific and 1x air2there. (Before you get too surprised, I should probably point out that none of the aircraft present were more than 19 seaters!)

I'm telling you, it's NZ's next major hub airport!!!
Old Dec 6, 2007, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Kiwi Flyer's post on the impending 316sqm extension to the AKL Koru Club reminded me that this thread is completely out of date. Air New Zealand is rolling out a program of innovations over the next year to improve the domestic experience, in order to better compete. The online system is being improved, the eTicket and boarding pass are being redesigned, new luggage drop zones are being installed, "new welcome mats, music and an extra-friendly greeting at the gate". None of this has happened yet. However they have started expanding the AKL Domestic lounge.

This post will only focus on the AKL lounge, for the CHC lounge has always too busy for me to snap pictures when I have been visiting. I also do apologise in advance for the brevity of this report – I have other, er productive things to be doing too.

As has always been the case, one enters the lounge at the far end of this picture. After being granted entry, You pass through two desks - from which the new Lounge Concierge team can assist you. To the right as you can see here are located some magazine racks, and one of several television screens -this one is often tuned to a relevant current affairs programming.

View in larger resolution

As you can see the main part of the lounge has been refreshed with the addition of new cushions, and some new artworks and items of furniture.

You can see that the end that the lounge has been truncated - obviously for the extension works to be done, while keeping the lounge open.

The extension works are most evident at the end of the lounge where the Playstation is located...

As you can see the computers have been replaced - of course since I wrote the original Summer Series NZ have installed free wifi in their lounges - now with a password common throughout the network that changes monthly... you just need to remember the ww0rd.

And the vital information (which I made you scroll all the way to the bottom for)?

Steinlarger
Steinlarger Premium Light
Speights
Mata Manuka
Mata Artesian
Export Gold
Export Dry
Lion Red
Heineken
Monteiths - varieties Original, Golden, Celtic and Black.

Nobilo Poverty Bay 2005 Chardonnay
Limestone Creek 2004 Pinot Noir
Isabel 2005 Sauvignon Blanc
Alan Scott 2006 Riesling.

Not bad.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 5:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks ntddevsys.

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
And the vital information (which I made you scroll all the way to the bottom for)?

Steinlarger
Steinlarger Premium Light
Speights
Mata Manuka
Mata Artesian
Export Gold
Export Dry
Lion Red
Heineken
Monteiths - varieties Original, Golden, Celtic and Black.

Nobilo Poverty Bay 2005 Chardonnay
Limestone Creek 2004 Pinot Noir
Isabel 2005 Sauvignon Blanc
Alan Scott 2006 Riesling.

Not bad.
OMG only 13 beers! I thought it was bad when I visited recently and there were only 19. And no Macs
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report and photos! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.