US Airways 6-Segment Mileage Cluster-Adventer w/ Pics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First

In memory of Edwin I. Colodny, myself and fellow a fellow DM Preferred Member, both of us at least mid-tier, (henceforth known as Bob) decided to waste $200 and cavort about the US Airways system for a Saturday. Indianapolis looked relatively attractive and could yield a total of six segments in fifteen hours. Not necessarily an attractive place to go, unless of course, you wear overalls outside of your house. Theres only one time when its acceptable to wear overalls in public if you dont live on at least six acres of land, and thats when you are flushed out of your home by fire. But, I digress.

The morning began for myself at a quarter to five in the morning on the southside of Jacksonville, FL. By 5:30am, I was good to go and set off toward the magnificent Jacksonville International Airport. I had checked in online the previous day (to get the 100 bonus miles) but decided that thermal paper was more pleasing than my own printer paper, of which I chose not to waste. Thus, I intended to use the kiosk, gaining another 10 bonus miles for that usage, to generate duplicate boarding passes. While en route, I phoned Bob at about 5:40am, asking his location. He, as expected, probably woke up with my phone call and promised to see me on the airplane by scheduled departure time of 7:00am.

I arrived at JAX about 6:00am and proceeded to the First Class/Dividend Miles Preferred tensa-barrier area, which leads to a kiosk. I dutifully inserted my Preferred card in the kiosk and was asked for my flight number. Contrary to other airlines, the US Airways kiosks have great difficulty locating reservations and often will ask not only for a slide of the card, but for you to retype your name, PNR, destination, and flight number before declaring it cannot find your reservation and please see an agent, who turns around and helps you use the kiosk a second time before being dually satisfied that the kiosk is unable to help and you must be issued poorly printed blue ticket stock from the counter computer. Of course, the kiosk found my reservation a bit odd and declared Cannot complete check-in for more than four segments. Please see agent. I advised Douglas and the guy who looks like Dick Cheney behind the counter of the kiosks difficulties. Douglas stepped around the counter and had me type in my information rather than sliding my card and declared Ive worked here thirty years and have never seen it do this. They then pulled up my reservation on the regular computer and saw that it was recognizing the return segments from the afternoon. I was soon checked-in and issued my three boarding passes with a comment No wonder youre a Gold; youll be a Chairmans soon at this rate. By tonight you probably wont be able to walk. I headed down toward the new common security checkpoint, boarding passes proudly displayed in a navy blue US Airways First Class ticket folder. No sign yet of Bob. I figured Id be taking this trip solo, and was suddenly worried about who would probably have to put me in a cab tonight upon arrival in Jacksonville, as those US Airways flight attendants keep bringing the liquor as long as youre conscious.

I cleared security rather quickly as Im not a moron and realize my cell phone, car keys, and pacemaker are metal and removed them all prior to reaching the checkpoint. I was quickly down at gate B8, after passing the US Airways Memorial Snackbar (Once upon a time, US had over 50 daily flights from Jacksonville and has a Special Services Counter across from gate B4. Today, it is a snack bar but still retains the US Airways grey pinstripe motif). I was excited to see an A321 was in fact at B8. My previous FIVE attempts to ride on the Airbus 321 were thwarted by what Im convinced is a nemesis in the US Airways SOC who saw to it I was either rerouted away from the Big Bus, substituted another aircraft, or flat out cancelled it. I took a seat, awaiting boarding.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/100_0227.jpg

Bob rolled up about 6:25am. Apparently the kiosk was similarly uncooperative for him and Doug was able to help him out. After looking at his itinerary, Doug asked, Are you traveling with Jason? and received similar other comments.

Boarding began on time about 6:30am. We stepped forward with the Zone 1 boarding call and handed over our boarding passes to Generic US Airways JAX Staff Member and entered my first A321.

US121
JAX-CLT
A321, N177US
7:00a-8:16am
Seats: 2D, 2F

Bob and I took our places in 2D and 2F and perused the March edition of Attache magazine, which surprisingly lacked topiary trees on its cover, but similar adorned with another type of plant life. First Class was about half full. Coach, who knows. They closed the new mesh curtain, but it looked about two-thirds full. Water bottles were offered by the flight attendant prior to pushback as is fairly standard. Pushback was on time with a quick taxi out to runway 7 while the safety video played on the drop-down monitors in both English and Spanish.

Fuel economy take-off roll with the standard Airbus bone-through-woodchipper noise and a shallow climb out toward Amelia Island and up the coast. We were offered a complete beverage service, and I chose my usual morning coffee and multiple Baileys while Bob enjoyed a coffee with cream and sugar. We dined a Snack Basket breakfast of Biscoffs, XOXO bars, and Walkers Shortbread Cookies. Soon enough, the one hour flight came to an end with a landing to the west on the cross-wind runway at Charlotte-Douglas International and a quick taxi-in to B4.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/100_0233.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/da8090bf.jpg

Proceeding to our connecting gate on the start of the C concourse, and dodging any number of swerving electric carts including one speeding along despite its flat tire, we observed the many scantily clad spring breakers wandering about the airport wearing stupid straw hats. I declared to Bob, This is why I spring break in New Jersey, because all the idiots are down in Florida. I then went walk-about down the rest of C concourse before Bob reeled me back to our departure gate, but not before spotting our good buddy Rivets the lap joint-inhibited B737-300 N350US barreling toward the concourse, extra rows of rivets glistening in the clear morning sunshine. I told Bob that if I ever saw that aircraft roll up to my gate, I would ask for another flight or threaten to loudly tell other passengers exactly why that aircraft does not have any paint.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/ee5da300.jpg

US1076
CLT-PIT
B737-300, N390US
9:15a-10:35a

This flight was relatively full with a mixed batch of normal people and Go-Fares People. First Class was full and coach looked the same. We were offered a choice of pre-departure beverages by a very friendly middle-aged Pittsburgh-based flight attendant. I spotted a piece of ground equipment with a spelling error and had to take a picture of it out the window.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/8901ca0b.jpg

The aircraft was surprisingly clean for a US Airways B737-300. The only seat art to comment on was what looked like a crude giraffe drawn on the back of seat 1D. Sorry, forgot to take a picture of it for the FlyerTalk Unofficial Seat Art Competition. An ontime departure with a manual safety demo, during which the flight attendant apparently thought I was laughing at her, and laughed herself while holding up the oxygen mask and said, Thats everybodys favorite part! and gave me a smile. We departed to the south from runway 18R and circled rather quickly back around to the north, with an estimated one hour flying time to Pittsburgh, a sharp contrast to the estimated 90 minutes that most CLT-PHL flights call for, probably due to the fact that Philly arrivals turn final somewhere out near Lakehurst.

Beverage service for me was yet another Irish Coffee and more Biscoffs/XOXO bars while I struggled to hold my pen legibly and write checks to pay bills. A rather smooth flight up over snow-covered Appalachian mountains and into a snow-covered Pittsburgh, which is much more scenic in the fall with foliage in full bloom. The excellent flight attendant continually offered drink refills. After the coach beverage service was complete, one flight attendant returned to the front jumpseat and knitted for the remainder of the flight. We landed to the west at Pittsburgh with a rather short taxi in to the mainline concourse.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/e91a3a28.jpg

Pittsburgh was rather deserted, though the rather loud classical music reverberated through the empty gate areas. Some parts of the concourse were completely walled off and closed. The Airmall was doing rather light business. Bob wrote postcards bought at the airport Eckerds while I wandered about the concourses.

Our connecting flight was out of the A concourse, on about gate A-5. This concourse is completely US Airways Express, filled with ERJs bound to places like Hartford, Indianapolis, and the ever-present Syracuse, and the mighty B1900D bound for Franklin/Oil City, PA. What the hell is up with Syracuse? Everywhere we went, there was a flight to Syracuse, and connecting passengers for Hancock International. Ive been to Syracuse, and aside from lots of trees, some lakes, and people with accents almost like those from Minnesota, I fail to see the big attraction. I do know somebody from Syracuse, and they do have an accent, but they kind of look like Kate Bosworth, so its okay.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/b8bd488c.jpg

I further digress, and will pause while I pour another screwdriver, into a plastic cup to do this US Airways style.

Okay, next flight:
US3562 Operated by Trans States Airline (The Waterski)
PIT-IND
EMB-145, N811HK
12:00p-1:12p
Seats: 12D, 12F

We boarded the flight as nearly the only people in Zone 1, making us both feel very special as Preferred members, hunched over, and went down the aisle to the exit row at row 12, which had an abundance of legroom. A rather well endowed youngish blonde female asked if she could use our underseat stowage for her duffel, and I allowed it, showing a rare moment of kindness, but not after verifying it wouldnt fit in the overhead bin. A middle-aged woman sat down in 12A across the aisle from us, dressed in business attire, and wielding a sandwich from Au Bon Painful. She leaned over and asked, rather directly, So, when this thing crashes and burns, youre gonna throw this door open for me, right? I just wanted the extra legroom. I told her, Sure thing, you hold em back, Ill kick her open, and well be the first two out. Bob sat in 12F and stared in near disbelief at the entire exchange, while stifling laughter at the directness of both of us. Flight attendant Victoria verified we were willing and able to assist in the event of an emergency.

Pushback on-time after most of the forward cabin was asked to move to the back of the airplane, because, as the pilot said, we had very few checked bags on board. From previous observation that morning, most of the days heavy bags full of condoms and beer bongs were bound for more exciting places like Orlando, Tampa, and Ft. Lauderdale. Oh what it must be to be a non-elite college student.

We took off to the west and settled in for our short one hour flight to Indy. Victoria provided a beverage service with offer of refill, served with a package of Snyders pretzel snaps. She finished the service to the 2/3 full cabin rather quickly and then proceeded to restock the galley, and refresh the supply of airsick bags and feminine hygiene products in the lavatory. The Captain provided sage advice in the form of, Please remain inside the aircraft at all times. I think it was the Captain, as his voice was deep, and we saw the first officer in the gate area, and he looked about 12.

Landed on time at Indianapolis to the west, after an ILS approach through the clouds. Victoria completed the landing sitting in row 1A, holding the cabin interphone. US Airways Express would like to be the first to welcome you to Indianapolis, where the local time is Obviously she was the first to welcome us, as if the mayors wife, Mrs. Bart Peterson, was standing on the runway, we would have undoubtedly done her grievous bodily harm.

We taxied quickly back to the terminal, while undergoing a time shift to the late 1960s, indicated by the scalloped roof of the Weir Cook International Airport. We exited the aircraft, ending Bobs first Waterski experience as well as first ERJ ride, and proceeded to the ticketed area to check-in for our return adventure.

This was my first United experience in years, and Bobs first United experience ever. The line was quite long to see an agent, or rather a ramp person milling about behind the counter, so we proceeded to empty Easy Checkin Machines. The machines were quite easy, however only yielded boarding passes for the single flight to Washington-Dulles, plus a piece of excess thermal paper advising us to consult US Airways at Dulles for onward boarding passes. So much for the ease of interlining among the frickin Star Alliance. Unsatisfied with this, we went down to the US Airways ticket counter adjacent to United and received help from Greg. Greg, after rather furious two-fingered typing, generated boarding passes for IAD-CLT-JAX and without further comment thanked us for flying The Airways. Unsatisfied with plebian United ticket folders, we placed our boarding passes in our earlier US Airways 1st Citizen folders and proceeded to the D-concourse security line by way of a very entertaining stop off in baggage claim.

Security took about ten minutes to clear, during which some Meninites were observed, women with whispy beards and all. Nothing much is through security on the IND D-concourse aside from a Dick Clarks American Bandstand Caf and a bagel stall with non-English speakers employed. Bob somehow managed to purchase a wrap from them while I observed the Ball State University sorority girls pressing against each other for photographs in the United gate area. The gate agent joked, over the PA, that he welcomed the large group from Ball State bound for the church haha conference in Salt Lake City and threw them a wink. We sat ourselves down in the United Express gate area at the end of Concourse D, uncomfortable as a couple of US Airways executives on board a flight where Teddy Xidas is purser. Boarding of the EMB-170 began about 2:15pm with a call for First Class, then Zone 1, which included us.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/3b82364b.jpg

UA7708/US8432 Operated by United Express/Chautauqua Airlines
IND-IAD
EMB-170, N646RW
2:40p-4:10p
Seats: 5A, 5C

We boarded the brand new Embraer 170, greeted at the door by Ginger, who we would come to know later on, and passed through the two-row First Class cabin on our way to row 5 in Economy Plus. Legroom was as generous as the EMB-145 exit row. We immediately felt uncomfortable in such a clean aircraft, both of us so used to US Airways. We stowed all belongings in the rather large overhead bins as the cabin filled to a completely full load. We both felt rather weirded out during our United Express experience. Ginger, our lead flight attendant, assisted by stuttering Daniel, who was absent from our part of the cabin the entire flight, announced several times that NO items whatsoever were allowed in the seat back pocket, including books, outside magazines, headphones, food, or water bottles. All items must be in the overhead compartment for take-off or properly stowed within a carry-on bag. No exceptions, and she wandered the forward cabin to enforce. Ive never heard of any such regulation and was quite confused. Bob and I hid our contraband, in the form of my novel and his chicken caeser wrap, under copies of the Hemisphere magazine. Pushback was on time while automated recorded announcements played overhead.

We took off to the north on the shorter crosswind runway and turned to the east for the short one hour, fifteen minute flight to Dulles. Ginger served the First Class cabin from a tray before joining Daniel for the main cabin beverage service. She served everybody but us, even after looking down at our deployed tray tables. The women seated behind us in row six commented, She skipped you, didnt she? What a *****. I waited out the rest of the drink service with the Hemispheres magazine opened to the beverage menu with tray table down, in somewhat disbelief, while images of complaining to the Dulles United Customer Service Counter ran through my head, as well as a possible conversation with US Airways Consumer Affairs, where a nice southern lady in Winston-Salem talks me off the ledge. Bob seemed generally offended. During the trash service, I pointed out to Ginger that she skipped us. She patted me on the shoulder and apologized, taking my drink order for a Mountain Dew and snack mix, eventually returning ten minutes later with my drink, shortly before approach, and after serving a second and third round of beers to those seated in the First Class cabin.

Cabin comfort was overall good, aside from the behind enemy lines feeling Bob and I had from being on board United. Something is odd about not hearing the familiar seated and stowed line from the flight attendant reporting the headcount to the Captain or the various chimes, creaking sounds, and dings that emanate from US Airways aircraft. Arrival into Washington-Dulles was on time, landing to the north with a rather quick taxi back to the G-terminal Garden Shed/Greyhound Station with stuttering announcements from Daniel (the most painful either of us had experienced to date) and a thank you from Ginger for being a great group of customers on board our new Embraer 170 aircraft, manufactured in Brazil. We parked at the end of the western-most breezeway of the G-terminal and deplaned down airstairs before walking the next six minutes to the massive holding cell that is the United Express universe. We took a bus that resembled a converted recreational vehicle to the D-concourse, where Bob was completely and utterly appalled. We walked down the terminal, spotted with far too many people and the occasional silk plant, before Bob declared hed had enough, and was ready to experience the joy that is the Mobile Lounge for the first time. We boarded a Mobile Lounge headed for the main terminal and waited for about four minutes while the driver finished his Star magazine in a folding chair outside. We observed another Mobile Lounge impact the terminal building, causing a jolt to everybody standing inside, who nearly toppled like a bunch of bowling pins with the sudden stop.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/1b9627be.jpg

We walked around the Airport 75-ish ticketing hall and counted all seven people in line for the Independence Air counter before rejoining the security line and quickly clearing without a secondary molestation. We took the new underground walkway to the B-terminal midfield, as we felt two Mobile Lounge rides in one day would be far too much to handle and probably result in an aneurism. Bob declared he needed another Mobile Lounge experience, about as much as I desire an aperture in my cranium.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/a201af2f.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/717163a2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/8e886e76.jpg

We wandered about the B-concourse, and the Independence Air museum, both declaring that whoever moves in after they go belly-up will have beautiful facilities. After a California Pizza Kitchen dinner, and ogling the Virgin Atlantic sexi-crew, proceeded to gate B47 where our A319 was arriving from San Juan. The highlight of the entire trip was the 60-ish gate agent, stating in a very seductive, perfect PA-voice, Ladies and gentlemen. good evening.. and welcome. to US Airways. For a moment we mistakenly thought we were part of something glamorous before we re-oriented ourselves and saw the navy blue A319 outside.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/9e88c678.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/83c01c4b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/71e1af00.jpg

US752
IAD-CLT
A319, N704US
7:10p-8:28p

We boarded about thirty minutes prior to departures and took our seats in the second row. The aircraft was rather clean. We were offered our choice of pre-departure beverages from perhaps the youngest-looking US crew to date. Only four of us in First Class, with a total load of 76 down to Charlotte. Toward the end of boarding, a rather disheleveled man boarded and made a comment, Oh, the agent said that First was full. I was supposed to have an upgrade. The flight attendant told him he could talk to the gate agent, but he said I have an upgrade on my next flight, so Ill just sit back in coach for now.

Pushback and take-off on the southern cross-wind runway about ten minutes early. No line of empty bubble-jet CRJs to impede us this evening. No doubt at least seven people bound for Syracuse on Indy tonight. Theres that Syracuse again. Its the center of the universe, I tell ya. I once summered in Ithaca on the eastern shores of Lake Cayuga.

I had a screwdriver and a couple of XOXO bars while Bob had his usual coffee with cream and Lake-O-Lakes Moo-Moo creamer, which I originally mistook for a tub of butter. The flight attendant was typical US Airways awesome with a liberal helping from the snack basket. A quick 50 minutes down to Charlotte before landing to the north on 36L, and a quick taxi to the B-concourse, where, as the flight attendant said, Our Captain will give us a two-bell signal and we were ready to deplane. We headed over to the D-concourse, where Clear Skies Ahead banners were plentiful. We spotted the US Airways Club that had been turned into a training center. A B757 I-Hate-Preferreds-Jet was spotted headed to Ft. Lauderdale as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/a51321be.jpg

We boarded through gate D-2 about 9:00pm, noticing our cabin crew from the Dulles flight, with one addition, going on board the same aircraft.

US889
CLT-JAX
A321, N166US
9:30p-10:50p
Seat: 3D, 2F

First Class only had about four passengers, so we split up for more room. The rather disheveled gentleman from the previous flight boarded and went into coach before moving forward and sitting in 4F. At departure time, the gate agent boarded with a manifest and went straight to him, asking for his boarding pass. He presented one, apparently with a coach seat assignment crossed and a 4F written in pen. He gave a story about how about an hour ago, a woman at the gate upgraded me and just wrote my seat assignment on here, saying there wasnt time to issue a new boarding pass. The agent said she was the only person at the gate for the last few hours, and didnt recall doing so, but he was welcome to take any open seat in coach. She watched as he moved, uttering swear words, back to the main cabin, leaving the 20-something sacred First Class seats for those of us who were legitimately there as we are some of US Airways most valued customers.

On-time pushback with the standard English/Spanish latino-cized safety video and a take-off on runway 36R with a quick circle back over downtown Charlotte and an on course heading to the south for the quick flight. I declined a beverage service, while Bob had his usual coffee, for the fifty minutes down to Jacksonville. Descent came rather soon with a visual approach down the beachfront from Brunswick before crossing I-95 for a landing on runway 25 and a quick taxi to gate B8, arriving about twenty minutes early, and ending another more than satisfactory US Airways trip.

Last edited by JAXPax; Mar 12, 2005 at 9:12 pm
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:31 am

Programs: US CP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat
Great.

I must also note that Jason and I had a few to drink before (and while) composing this trip report. It was certainly great fun and I think paints probably the most accurate picture of USAirways travel many of you have seen in a long time.

Proud to Fly the Flag on USAirways,
Bob
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:46 am

Thanks for the humourous report!

Originally Posted by JAXPax
Pushback on-time after most of the forward cabin was asked to move to the back of the airplane, because, as the pilot said, we had very few checked bags on board. From previous observation that morning, most of the days heavy bags full of condoms and beer bongs were bound for more exciting places like Orlando, Tampa, and Ft. Lauderdale. Oh what it must be to be a non-elite college student.
Of course, if you're an elite college student, you can bring along an extra bag of bongs and condoms for free!

Originally Posted by JAXPax
Landed on time at Indianapolis to the west, after an ILS approach through the clouds. Victoria completed the landing sitting in row 1A, holding the cabin interphone. US Airways Express would like to be the first to welcome you to Indianapolis, where the local time is Obviously she was the first to welcome us, as if the mayors wife, Mrs. Bart Peterson, was standing on the runway, we would have undoubtedly done her grievous bodily harm.
Well, if you're like me, on a recent US Airways Express operated by Chautauqua flight to BUF, Delta Connection was the first to welcome me to the Buffalo area...
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Seriously, this is one of the best reports I've read.

You have a Bill Bryson-esque voice that I enjoy.

Good job! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.