Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1st TR: Sun Country MSP-LAX + sightseeing reports

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Cool 1st TR: Sun Country MSP-LAX + sightseeing reports

I thought I would chime in with my first trip report on an airline that rarely appears on FlyerTalk, Sun Country. Back in May, during the MSP-LAX fare war started by Frontiers entry into the market, I was considering a summer trip to California. NW, my primary airline matched for a time, but I was asleep at the switch and NWs availability was gone by the time I was ready to book. However, both Frontier and Sun Country had availability, and following a recommendation from my wife, I booked two tickets on Sun Country on their nonstop service to LAX ($118 each).

In addition to LAX, Sun Country serves 20+ destinations from MSP, including SEA, PDX, ANC, DEN, SFO, SAN, LAS, PHX, DFW, GPT, JFK, MCO, FLL, MIA, TPA as well as PVR, AUA, SJU, STT and a few other domestic and tropical destinations.

8/2/04 SY 409 Departed MSP 9:10 p.m. Arrived LAX 11:55 p.m. 737-800

I tried to check in on-line on suncountry.com, and I was able to begin the process, but my efforts to select seats together (SY does not offer seat assignments prior to check-in) were thwarted, and eventually, I was told to check in at the airport. We arrived about 2.5 hours early as the SuperShuttle always comes so early I lie and tell them that my flight is 30 minutes later than it is, and still they come early however, taking the blue van saves about $15 over a taxi. I live in a close-in suburb of Minneapolis, and I have taken the shuttle maybe 10 times, and only once have we made additional stops so 9 times out of 10 its like a taxi, just cheaper.

Check-in was smooth, and we were given exit row seats 12B and 12C; later we would learn that these were of the non-reclining variety, but I didnt plan on sleeping anyway. The flight was on time, smooth, and serviced adequately. There was a drink service, followed by an acceptable warm pepper salami and cheese sandwich and another drink service. The in-flight magazine was not bad, and in-fact featured Los Angeles. If I flew Sun Country often, I noticed that that the magazine is only published bi-monthly, so it might get old quickly.

We landed smoothly at LAX, my first time to the airport, having visited SoCal previously through SAN and SNA. I saw some cool planes including NW Cargo 742, Qantas 744, and Air China 744. We parked at Terminal 5 at Deltas Gate 59.

Deplaning was smooth and we were off to our hotel, the Courtyard by Marriott LAX Century Blvd. We had a nice room on the 7th floor, complete with free wired or wireless Internet. After a good nights sleep, we availed ourselves of the hot $9.99 breakfast buffet. It met our expectations, and we were ready for the day.

I will give you a short outline of our vacation, if you would like to know more, please feel free to ask a question.

We had the Courtyard shuttle drop us off at Avis, where I had reserved a full size (Priceline $25/day last minute). I was offered an upgrade to an SUV or Convertible for just $10 more, but it didnt fit in our budget, so we passed and received an Impala the first one was smoky, so I returned the keys and received another Impala, this one was fine despite relatively high mileage of 27,000. The car served our needs well, and got surprisingly good mileage (about 30 mpg).

We headed south to San Diego, stopping in the north county area near Carlsbad to greet to ocean at a quiet beach. After an hour, we had lunch at Del Taco, and moved on to the San Diego Wild Animal Park. I had visited the zoo on a previous visit, but as a former zoo employee, I was really looking forward to the WAP. Our visit started out on the right foot when I approached the ticket booth at the same time as a gentleman who had some extra tickets he was willing to part with for $10 each, $19.50 below the regular rate. We looked over the tickets, and happily made the deal. The WAP exceeded my high expectations huge, fantastic, animal friendly exhibits, not to mention many cute baby animals: an African elephant, a giraffe, and numerous varieties of antelope. It was fantastic.

After a good 3-4 hours at the WAP, we headed to our hotel, the Radisson Harbor View, in downtown San Diego. We received a partial harbor view room on the 15th floor (out of about 22). The room was great with a king bed and a summer bargain at $75+. We asked the concierge about a cab to the Gaslamp Quarter. We had found a free parking spot we didnt want to loose; he said he would take us down there for a tip. We dined at Sammys Brick Oven Pizza. While the food was good, the service was really awful how awful? I wont go into details, but we got the whole meal comped, except for drinks. Following this experience, we walked around the Gaslamp Quarter a nice, if touristy area with some great local restaurants and some chains (Hard Rock, Hooters, etc.) We checked out the new Petco Park baseball stadium; the Padres were losing in the 7th inning, but we were unable to sneak in no surprise. We walked back to 4th Street, near Sammys and stopped at Seville a wonderful tapas bar, where we had a snack and a glass of sangria Mmmm. It was great and if we had time, I would like to have dinner there next time.

After a good nights sleep, we headed to Balboa Park I checked out the Museum of Photographic Arts while my wife checked out an art museum. We met and walked over to the botanical garden this was beautiful. At this point, I had a bit of a headache, so I stopped for a cup of tea outside the Japanese Garden while my wife checked that out. The garden, as I heard and saw later in pictures, was fantastic. Following this we aimed for Torrey Pines beach and I think we arrived at a beach near Torrey Pines. Not sure if it was the Torrey Pines beach, but it was decent if a bit less pristine than the north county beach from the day before. Following the beach, we headed to Old Town, where we had a great dinner and great service at El Agave on Old Town Avenue. This was an upscale, authentic Mexican restaurant (no gringo food here!!). Recommended.

After another good nights rest, we headed to Pacific Beach to check out the surfing mind you not surfing ourselves. We are both originally from North Dakota, so the ocean and surfing are pretty exotic to us. The waves were decent and there were about 40-50 surfers catching waves. After 11 a.m., most of the beach closed to surfing, and the swimmers came in. We departed, and headed north on I-5 toward Tinseltown, where we had ticket for a taping of Last Comic Standing.

Traffic was busy, but moving at decent speeds for the first two hours or so. The last few miles took about an hour as we moved into Los Angeles County. We chose a restaurant for lunch for a guidebook, and exited I-5 at Los Feliz Ave. We lunched at Louises Trattoria. It was fantastic my wife had a fresh and delicious pizza and I had the salmon stack with garlic mashed potatoes and beautiful squash, zucchini, and carrots on the side. It was fantastic and worth every penny.

From there, it took about 20 minutes to drive to Glendale where we were to experience Last Comic Standing in person. As we approached the theatre, I saw a long line, and let my wife out of the car to save a spot while I found a parking space. Joining her in line, that stretched around the block, into the alley, and next to some restaurant dumpsters, we waited and slowly moved forward bit-by-bit closer to the door. After more than two hours in line in the hot sun, we finally entered the theatre, where we were seated in the balcony mid-way back far enough back that we would never be on TV. Oh, well, we were more excited about seeing the show than about seeing our mugs on TV. The show was great it was a two-hour special that aired on Tuesday, August 10. We werent on TV, but we really laughed hard at each of the three comics. Good times.

After the taping we joined some friends for a great late-night dinner at Mexico City, a loud and fun restaurant in the Griffith Park neighborhood of Los Angeles. At the end of a great day, we headed to our new hotel, the Luxe Hotel Bel-Air. Located near the intersection of the 405 and Sunset Boulevard between two affluent neighborhoods (Bel-Air and Brentwood) the Luxe was a contemporary hotel featuring light colors in all the decorating, as well as a refrigerator and a mini bar, and a comfortable lobby. We didnt have much of a view but I didnt expect much for what we paid on Priceline.

The next morning, I was excited about another great day the day I will call the Artful Dodger. We began the day by driving to the Getty Museum just two exits down the 405 or a mile and a half down Sepulveda from our hotel, it could not have been more convenient. It was fantastic while we only saw about 25% of the museum, I already am excited to come back. I really enjoyed the architecture of the museum as well I spent 45 minutes on the architecture tour before having to sneak out. We needed to get back to the hotel to freshen up before heading to the Dodger/Phillies game.

While we were on our way back to the hotel, my wife suggested that we ought to at least check into public transit to the game. The concierge had warned us that traffic would be nasty on a summer Friday rush hour, so using the hotels free wireless connection, I punched up the MTA, and learned that we could take just one bus from the hotel to the game round trip fare: $2. I was so excited not to get back in the car, and also to have the chance to enjoy a long drive down Sunset Boulevard, reading the LA Times and saving money on parking at the same time.

The bus took about 90 minutes to reach the stadium, just time enough for me to relax and read the paper. Upon arrival, I was struck at the distance to the stadium, which is atop a hill, surrounded by an enormous parking lot. Once we arrived at the ticket booth, I was crestfallen to hear NO MORE TICKETS WILL CALL ONLY! Fighting back anger and frustration over my own reluctance to give any money to Ticketmaster, we paused to assess the situation; then we panicked! Not really; we ended up buying tickets from a scalper for just $1 over face value - $7 each for the cheap seats but we were in the park.

The game started out quite rough for the Dodgers, with their pitcher surrendering two home runs in each of the first two innings. After two, it was 5-0 Phillies. But the Dodgers fought back with a three run homer in the fifth inning, a single run in the eighth, and a solo homer in the bottom of the ninth to tie the game. After 10 innings, it was still 5-5, but we were starting to wonder about missing the 11:05 bus, knowing that the next one wasnt until 12:05 a.m. We left the game and caught the bus home.

Now, the next part of the story is pretty odd, and strange, and I thought twice about including it, but here goes. It illustrates the different experiences possible when you travel like a local versus when you drive yourself. In Hollywood, a woman boarded the bus, and she may have been just a little bit drunk or a bit weird, but she sat down and started to share her feelings with the people on the bus. Asian boys are so beautiful and sexy. Ooooh, look at this one Where are you from wow, I never met a Taiwanese boy before you are beautiful your lips, your neck, your face. He was sleeping, or at least feigning sleep, while the rest of the bus looked on the compliments continued unabated until the woman disembarked the bus in Beverly Hills. We all laughed what a odd experience. Before long, after some crazy driving through the curvy roads of Beverly Hills and Bel-Air, we had arrived at our stop.

The next morning, we headed to Venice Beach the quiet part south of muscle beach, etc. and enjoyed a relaxing morning under the pleasant sun. I finally went in the water, too. Again, remember that I grew up in North Dakota, and swimming in the ocean is very exotic to me the water was pretty decent, temperature wise, and I felt refreshed by the waves and was happy to say the least. But enough of the beach, its time for more sightseeing.

We drove to the Hollywood walk of fame, and found a free parking spot on Orange Avenue, just south of Hollywood Boulevard. After a long walk up and down, the street, a look at the Hollywood sign, a stop at a used bookshop, and a visit to Manns Theatre where we checked out the handprints, it was time for wife pampering.

While at the hotel, we had been flipping through Los Angeles Magazine, the Best of LA issue, and I found LAs best foot-massage our next stop was Elixir Spa on Melrose Avenue in West Hollywood. From all I hear it was a fantastic reflexology foot massage, and after sitting through more than three hours of baseball the previous evening, it was well deserved.

Lastly, we met friends from Chicago who were also visiting LA. We met at their trendy hotel, the Sunset Marquis in West Hollywood. This was a very nice hotel with a beautiful courtyard pool and a very dark, trendy bar where we sipped martinis and shot the breeze before heading back toward LAX to catch our red-eye back to MSP.

After a stop at an airport-area Arbys we returned the rental and were off on the shuttle to LAX. We checked in at the counter and were given reclining exit-row aisle and middle seats on the full flight.

8/7/04 SY 410 Departed LAX 11:55 p.m. Arrived MSP 5:20 a.m. 737-800

Once airborne, we were served our first beverage and sandwich (turkey and cheese on a herb bun) simultaneously, followed by another beverage service and a nap before I heard the announcement that we would soon be joining the MSP arrivals pattern. We landed a few minutes late, and I was surprised to see that the Humphrey Terminal was filling up SY has many early morning flights, and the loads seemed to be strong.

Overall, I enjoyed the Sun Country experience, but not as much as I enjoyed the trip. However, they would have to significantly beat NWs prices to pull my away from my primary airline. As a lowly Silver Elite, I need all the miles I can get. As for the trip to southern California, I had a great time, and look forward to going back soon.

If you have a question about Sun Country or any of the specific places we went feel free to post and I will do my best to respond.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 5:01 am

Smile Reply

Thanks for the report. I am surprised that Sun Country has complimentary meal in coach...

Carfield
Old Aug 16, 2004, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Thanks for the report, I'm surprised about the meal, too.

When did Sun Country start flying again? I thought they went out of business following 9/11 ... I had some vouchers for travel that I never got to use. Is it the same airline?
Old Aug 17, 2004, 8:23 am

Thanks for the report cobberjoe! We live near Los Feliz & I-5, and Mexico City is one of our favorite Mexican restaurants. I'm glad you got to experience some of the best of LA (and you took a bus to Dodger Stadium? I've never done that in my years of living in LA.).

I had thought Sun Country was bankrupt (Ch. 7), so I was surprised to read that they are still flying. Good to know!
Old Aug 17, 2004, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

SY Out of BK

My recollection, and anyone else should feel free to chime in, is that Sun Country cancelled all scheduled service and flew only charters soon after 9-11. They still fly a bit of a skeleton schedule with only one flight per day to most locations; some locations only have weekday flights.

Calling the sandwich a meal may be stretching it. It's more like a snack. There are no sides, no pretzels or peanuts. It is however, hot.

I had the giant carne asada burrito at Mexico City, and it was enormously delicious. My friends have the bean burrito every time they come - it looked good, too.

The bus to Dodger Stadium was cool. Like most people on this list, I imagine, I don't ride a lot of ground public transit in the US, outside of NYC and Chicago. However, the number two bus MTA bus in LA runs (mostly on Sunset Blvd.) through Brentwood, Bel-Air, Beverly Hills, WeHo, Hollywood, Downtown, etc. It was a cheap option that combined relaxed sightseeing with stress minimization.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.