Search

Alaska F: SEA-DEN-SEA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:01 am
gba
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold

It is a rare treat for me to fly first class and so I felt like I had to write about the experience. Although SEA-DEN is not the most exciting of trip reports this forum has ever seen, I thought some might enjoy this as a “checkup” on Alaska’s downgraded First Class service or just as light reading

Enjoy!

July 3, 2004

SEA – DEN
Alaska # 546
Equipment: 737-900 (N307AS)
Seat: 1F
Scheduled (Actual) Departure Time: 11:51am (12:15)
Scheduled (Actual) Arrival Time: 3:28pm (3:36)
Total Travel Time: 2:21

I arrived at Sea-Tac at 10:00am, well before my flight, especially given that I had no bags to check. I was worried, however, because web check-in had not let me print a boarding pass (indicating that I might get SSSSed) and I knew SEA often got crowded on Saturdays because of passengers returning from cruises to Alaska. And indeed, while the main check in counters were fairly busy, the kiosk I checked in at on the level between the parking garage had no line at all. (On a side note, the persons in front of me were having a bit too much fun so I got to see what happened when you answer one of the security questions at the kiosk “incorrectly”…it prints out an error message and instructs you to “see an agent”…I don’t recommend it). As predicted, I did receive the dreaded SSSS annotation on my boarding pass (probably because I bought the ticket less than 48 hours in advance) but despite this, and the crowd, I was able to move fairly quickly through security. The TSA agent who searched me was polite but very thorough when going through my hefty suitcase.

The boarding areas at the D concourse in SEA do not have anywhere near enough seating for a fully-loaded 739 and the crowd spilled out into the walkway. An overabundance of children on this flight, including several unaccompanied minors and one lap child in first class, added to the hubbub. The inbound aircraft from BOS was running a few minutes late because of headwinds and boarding did not begin until 11:40 (fortunately, their headwinds were our tailwinds and thus we made it into Denver just about on time). Upon my arrival at seat 1F, I found a miniature bottle of water sitting on the armrest, as has become standard on AS F flights. I enjoy having a bottle of water with me when I travel but don’t see why it’s too much trouble for them to serve a wider selection of pre-takeoff drinks. We sat on the ground for at least a half-hour while the rest of the passengers boarded, a beverage service during this time would not be difficult at all.

After all of the passengers had made it on, we had to wait for a final couple of bags to load and then finally we pushed back and slowly made our way to 16L. The safety briefing was done while we were still parked at the gate and the flight attendants retreated to their seats until we were airborne, rather than patrol the aisles enforcing the warnings about reclined seats and closed window shades, as they are sometimes known to do.

After takeoff, passengers on the left side of the aircraft were treated to views of Mt. Rainier while those of us on the right could look south to the Oregon Cascades. As we climbed to 37,000 feet the First Class flight attendant stood up and announced the meal choices and the quantities of each entrée. We were offered a choice of either a Chicken Caesar Salad or a Ham and Swiss Sandwich. She then proceeded to take meal and drink orders from back to front. I think that everyone was able to get the entrée they wanted although there were substantially fewer sandwiches loaded on the flight.

Drinks were quickly served along with two bags of standard peanuts. (Why no warmed bowl?). Meals were then served from the front of the cabin to the rear. All in all, the service on this flight was outstanding, my beverage glass was never empty and all of the staff seemed to be in a good mood. There were two “flight attendants in training” on board, in addition to the usual compliment of four flight attendants on the 737-900 which surely made things run smoother.

Alaska’s First Class snacks are served all at once on a tray covered in an attractive blue and white tablecloth with real glassware and silverware (including a metal knife) as well as a miniature, disposable salt and pepper shaker and the ever-controversial prayer card. I chose the Ham and Swiss Sandwich and it was served chilled with a chipotle-ish mayo on a ciabata-style roll. On the side was a small salad of mixed vegetables in a vinaigrette sauce. For desert, a postage-stamp size piece of chocolate was a bit disappointing. In my opinion, it was quite tasty and, in this time of service cut-backs, a more than appropriate lunch on a flight shorter than 2.5 hours. My main complaint would be that the entire presentation was obviously fresh out of the refrigerator. If they at least kept the plates at room temperature it would seem more like restaurant food and less like airplane food.

After trays were collected and drinks refilled for at least the third time, the flight attendant passed through the cabin offering ice cream left over from the service in coach. This was a pleasant addition (although not quite a surprise, I had asked her to see if there were any extra) and was a more proper conclusion to a meal initially lacking an appropriate conclusion.

Soon after, the captain came over the p.a. to warn us of a potentially turbulent approach into Denver, which indeed it was, and he instructed the cabin crew to prepare the cabin for arrival earlier than normal. Our decent began soon after and, following an unusually bumpy (even for Denver) approach, we landed from the north and quickly taxied to C32.

July 6, 2004

DEN – SEA
Alaska # 565
Equipment: 737-900 (N306AS)
Seat: 2A
Scheduled (Actual) Departure Time: 6:51pm (7:13)
Scheduled (Actual) Arrival Time: 8:37pm (8:51)
Total Travel Time: 2:38

I arrived at the airport well ahead of schedule and proceeded quickly through a near deserted security line despite having to once again go through the whole SSSS process. Alaska flies out of Denver’s C terminal, most obviously the least trafficked of the three concourses as it is the only one which is not a hub. The inbound aircraft from Seattle arrived late and boarding for our flight did not begin until about 6:45. Again, only water was available pre-departure.

I didn’t mention it on the outbound flight, but Alaska’s first class seat is nothing to write home about. While seatguru lists rows 2 and 4 as having the best leg room, I personally enjoyed the bulkhead on the outbound more than 2A on this flight. I only carried on large bag with me so I had no need for under seat floor storage, and I liked not having anybody recline into me. If however, you intend to get sleep on your flight, I’d recommend choosing one of the non-bulkhead seats so you have room to stretch your legs out.

We took off to the north and as we began to level out at our initial cruising altitude of 35,000 feet the flight attendant proceeded to the back of the cabin to take orders for the meal service. Sadly, the food was the same as was served on the outbound flight. Rather than announce the choices to the whole cabin at once, she asked each person individually what they would like. To me, this is a more appropriate way of doing things, although if the selection of the entrees is limited, announcing this fact to everyone might lead some people to be flexible with their choices so that everyone can be happy.

After orders were served we were each tossed one pack of peanuts and then drinks were served from back to front (peanuts and drinks were served together on the outbound, a better way to do this in my opinion). To eat, I chose the Chicken Caesar Salad which was a generous portion of lettuce with a few tomatoes topped with a grilled chicken breast, and parmesan cheese. Packaged croutons and salad dressing were served on the side along with a pleasantly warmed roll and butter, as well as the same small chocolate served with lunch on my previous flight. Again the food was fine, although obviously refrigerated, although the obvious use of institutionally wrapped croutons and salad dressing is somewhat less than first class, in my view.

We experienced occasional light chop for the first 80 minutes of the flight and then, around the time meal trays were being collected, we climbed up to 37,000 feet so the seat-belt sign could finally be turned off. Service on this flight, while not un-pleasant, felt significantly more scripted. We were not offered any of the ice cream dessert served in coach and, after the meal was concluded, beverages were refilled only occasionally or on direct request.

Our decent began at 8:20 pm pacific time 150 miles from SEA. As winds were from the north, we approached the airport from the south. After a stunning fly-by of a Mt. Rainier bathed in sunset above the clouds we made one final turn over Tacoma and came in for a smooth landing on 32R.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:07 am
Suspended

Nice trip report.

I don't recall AS ever serving warmed nuts on the SEA-DEN flights, even when a full dinner service was offered.

Regardless, they still (typically) do a great job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.