Programs: AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles
Talking ORD-PIT-JST-PIT-ORD on US/ US Express/ UA

3.7.04 (July 3rd 2004)

US906 ORD -> PIT N506AU Boeing 737-300

STD: 1255

ATD: 1250

STA: 1520

ATA: 1503

Hoi Hoi! I got up at 7.30 bright and early … I dunno why I did maybe just a little too much excitement. I eventually left the house at 10.31 and arrived at O’Hare 24 minutes later. Dad dropped us off at the Northwest Ticket Counter and we walked inside to the US Airways kiosks. I wasn’t able to add my UA Mileage Plus number. Today’s flight leaves gate F8. My brother decided that he wanted McDonalds when we were heading to our gate. He threw a fit and my mom wouldn’t let me search for a Starbucks while he threw a fit. Some 15 minutes I was able to go to Starbucks but they didn’t have any cold coffees. Just hot coffees. I shall remind you that this was Terminal 2 and not as nice as Terminal 1. Anyways I saw 2 UA Express planes get pushed back and by then my McDonalds came which consisted of:

Mc Donalds:

1 Double Cheeseburger

1 Small Fries

1 Small Coke

While eating and complaining that it was too early for me to eat lunch, my plane arrived at 11.55 and the registration is N506AU. I boarded at 12.35 and the seats are 12A,B,C,D. N504MJ is at F6 and is in N/C either going to STL or GRB. Today’s aircraft is a 737-300 and my seat is over the wing. Today’s flight would take us to FL290 and only take 59 minutes. The weather in PIT was 7mi of visibility and it was nice. That’s all I got from the loudspeaker. Full flight and we pushed back at 12.50. We taxied to RW 9L via A,A6,B,J,9L. As we approached 9L, it started to rain. It took 6 minutes of taxiing and we turn onto 9L and we wait for a UA 777 to vacate. After it vacates, we sit there and we find out that ATC wants us to fly through a storm and if we don’t go the way we want to go, we’ll be stuck but… a minute later we left just before it poured and O’Hare got swamped w/ delays! We start rolling at 1.01 and 30 seconds later, we leave ground… We flew over Lake Michigan at 1.04. We turned towards Indiana and had low clouds and turbulence. Annie my sister says hi. Also while reading through the US Airways Attaché magazine, US Airways really emphasizes the Star Alliance. Which is 8 pages of Star Alliance stuff. So. From this moment on, all times are now on EDT. I’m now going to get some coke and pretzels… yummy… Mom almost tripped an FA again… (see my KLM Trip Report). She had her feet in the aisle…. Again… Well. Guess who also is using my tray? Any guesses? It’s my sister after she promised not to use it for her stuff but it happened. US Airways has nice napkins. It’s the No Brainer scheme. I also put a pen mark on Annie’s head and she licked her whole hand and rubbed it against her face. Since we are near Pittsburgh, Annie has decided for me to play dots w/ her… you know try and make a box out of lines and stuff…. Eventually I had to quit as we were descending into Pittsburgh and I wanted to fill you all in on details. The pilot came on and we were 125 miles away from PIT. Just over Cleveland and we were 23 minutes away. The weather was 87ş, Pt. Cloudy. Annie also told me to tell you that my pencap got stuck in her hair. As we were descending, the F/A asked if anyone had change for a 20 so I rang my bell and I gave 2 $10’s for a 20. Annie is now playing Dots by herself. She cheated and she won. Go Figure! Nice poofy clouds over Ohio. We start slowing down and we have 11 minutes to go. We now start passing through 10,000 feet and the seatbelt sign goes off. We are going through light clouds and some turbulence and then Annie decides to write ‘HELP ME’ … crazy girl she is. Annie was putting on lip gloss and when we went through turbulence, the lip gloss got on her forehead. LOL. We had a pretty fast descent w/ no flaps. Lots of speed braking action. The gear came down at 3.01p and Touchdown occurred at 3.03p on RW 28R. We had full reverse thrust, flaps and spoilers. We turned off at B5 and taxied to B41 via B, T, V, V1, B41. I saw the new E170 reg. N810MD. We arrived at B41 at 3.06 and for those near Pittsburgh, We flew over Moon Twp.

US4904 PIT -> JST N20CQ Beechcraft 1900C

STD: 1620

ATD: 1630

STA: 1700

ATA: 1703

Well… After we landed, we went to E10 and met our friends who were also going to JST. We also saw that some guy named Zinc (SP!) – real fat guy, just took our bags and just threw them on the ground and kicked them like a little toy. Another rampie saw it and so did the gate attendant. I think her name is Gail, got her supervisor and her supervisor said that if anything was damaged, file a claim and US Airways will pay for the damages. After that, the fuel truck came so we had a slight delay. 10 minutes later, we were allowed to board. Small aircraft it is… I really don’t like flying on them but they were pretty fun. Our aircraft was in Colgan Air colours. We followed an ERJ and my sister saw a large tail and thought it was something else. We have seats 2A, 2F, 3A, 3F. The load factor was 15/19. We taxied to 28R via Y, B, B1, 28R. at 4.44 we were on the runway. After a 20 second rollout, we climbed out of Pittsburgh, and climbed to 9,000 feet. The weather in Johnstown, PA was 89şF, some clouds and hazy. I’ve also found out that my mother threw out my ORD -> PIT ticket so I can’t claim mileage on that trip and my PIT -> JST ticket was ripped beyond recognition so there goes 1000 miles for my United account. Oh well. At 4.57, we descended to 4,600 and then Annie decided to write ‘HELP ME’ again and I think some lady saw so I had to re-assure Annie that we weren’t crashing. As we were on finals to Johnstown, the GWPS was shouting ‘terrain, terrain’. My mom wanted to know what was shouting and what it was saying and I told her that it was a computer shouting ‘Terrain, Terrain’ and we were fine. I think that she was a little paranoid. We landed at 5.03 on runway 14 and taxied to the parking spot.

8.7.04 (July 8th 2004)

US4902 JST -> PIT N210CJ Beechcraft 1900D

STD: 1135

ATD: 1138

STA: 1210

ATA: 1205

Well after trying to pull an all-nighter, I actually went to sleep at 4.30 am and woke up at 7.45 and some 3 hours later I left the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown at 10.30 for our 11.40 flight to Pittsburgh. We got there 15 minutes later and checked in. We checked in and checked our bags to Chicago. My friend checked his to Charlotte and Huntsville, AL. After we sat down for a few minutes, I realized that I wanted my United Mileage Plus # added so I was able to do that and my sister’s too. I also noticed in this small airport that US Airways has a Star Alliance board up there w/ all of the airlines who are in there minus the new ones that were announced a few weeks ago. I went through security at 11.10 nothing out of the ordinary. No one in our party or my friends set off the metal detector. Our plane arrived 5 minutes later, and as it was being unloaded, I saw that it was carrying, human blood platelets from the Red Cross. Our plane was N210CJ in Colgan Air colours. We boarded at 11.35. My seat in 6A which was an emergency exit. I agreed that I could fulfill the requirements and the co-pilot was satisfied. We departed at 11.38 and taxied to RW 23 via taxiway E. After a quick takeoff roll, it was time to say goodbye and see Johnstown next year. The weather in PIT was Partly sunny and we had some moderate turbulence. We are holding 8000 feet now. We had some more turbulence. Lots of turbulence actually w/ the kind that make you jump out of your seat. It’s all fun. We descend to 7,000 feet and then to 6,000 feet. I saw another plane in the distance, which turned out to be a US Airways A319 landing on the other runway in PIT. We had lots of low clouds in PIT and the looked to be at around 5,400 -5,000 feet. We then descended to 4,000 feet and flew over the city of Pittsburgh, and the stadiums of where the big leagues are. The flaps came out at 12.00. Our runway was in sight and we had heavy crosswinds so lots of rudder was needed. We were pretty high and I thought that we might do a go-around but as we were pretty close, a US Airways CRJ just departed. We went to full flaps and we landed at 1205 and I was pretty happy to be on the ground. We needed full of everything except spoilers. We turned off at B3 and taxied to E11 via B3, B, Y, E11. While we were taxiing, I saw a NW DC-9 in new colours which I thought that it looked nice in. We somehow taxied to E13 and the pilot came on and said that they weren’t fully ready and that we’d be a few minutes. But we eventually taxied to E11 at 1211. We deplaned and I thanked the crew for our flight.

UA791 PIT -> ORD N915UA Boeing 737-522

STD: 1452

ATD: 1449

STA: 1530

ATA: 1522

After de-boarding, our wonderful flight, we went to McDonalds which consisted of:

2 Cheeseburgers

1 Medium Fries

1 Medium Coke

We sat near the A gates where the Express flights are. I saw many planes depart and arrive on 28R while eating lunch. After that, I begged my mom to go to my friend’s gate which was going to Charlotte. I told her that I’m 17 and I where I am going and don’t need to worry about me. She minimally agreed. My friend was off to Charlotte and once he landed, he went on an ERJ to HSV (Huntsville Alabama). I went w/ my friend’s brother to the Brookstone (book store) where he bought Car and Driver and some candy. Their plane came and it was N446US. Their plane was lots of little children and old people. They eventually boarded and I had to accept that I had to say goodbye and I’ll see them next year. After I said goodbye, I went to my gate which was C53. Our plane was in Shuttle by United colours. While waiting for boarding, I saw an Air Canada Jazz colours in Yellow-Orange colours w/ the reg. C-GANK. I also saw my bags which was a good thing, because last year, my bags didn’t make it on our US Airways flight to Johnstown after flying United to Pittsburgh from Chicago. My friend’s plane pushed back at 1.58p. Air Canada boarded its flight and requested that passengers show their passport as it was going to Toronto, Canada. My mom looked at our tickets and she saw that we weren’t together (and no I didn’t call to change them!). She went to the United gate ticket counter and got herself w/ us. She was 1 row ahead of us. Our new seats were 7A, 7B, 8A, 8C. I We boarded at 2.30 and I found out that we are sitting in Economy Plus! I created some confusion as I was about to sit in 8A when I asked if it was 7 and he said no so I said excuse me and this guy who was on his cell phone took a few seconds to get out and he said let me have a chance to get out. A little rude he was. Even nicer, I sat next to the engine. Channel 9 is available. The pilot came on and said that our expected flight time today was 1 hour 10 minutes. We encountered a small problem as we had a person who was not old enough to sit in the emergency exit and then they switched another person to sit there but they didn’t speak English but they spoke Polish. Eventually they put the girl and her family in the emergency exit where they originally were. We had an on-time pushback and we taxied to 28R via V6, V, V3 where we held short and then contacted ground. While taxiing, I saw US Airways’ bare-metal scheme. We taxied to T where we held short for an aircraft and then to B. As we were taxiing on B, we had a small delay as Chicago was having some delays. So taxied along the N taxiway to 28R and held short for 10 minutes. We entered the runway after a Comair jet and at 3.04, we were cleared for takeoff. We were told to fly runway heading after takeoff. We contacted Pittsburgh departure as we were climbing through 2,500 for 5,000. We were then told to climb to 14,000 feet. Some message about the lavatories came on and was told that for security reasons, passengers in their ticket class must use lavatories in their cabin only. We had a nice smooth climb out. From now until the end, all times will be in CDT. We contacted Cleveland Center as we were climbing through FL230 and soon to FL260. The flight attendants came around with trays of coke and pretzels. We were flying at 260kts and we climbed to FL280. The weather in Chicago was winds out of the winds 10-15mph. 7 miles of visibility and 79şF. I also found out that our final cruise was FL350. We climbed to FL310 and I saw an NW Mesaba jet. After that we climbed to FL350 and then contacted Cleveland Center on 119.32. We had some light turbulence and few minutes later, we contacted Chicago Center. We descended to FL260 and we increased our speed to 320kts. We were then told to descend to FL250. We crossed FL300 for FL250. Some 3000 feet later, we had some moderate turbulence which I thought was enough to turn on the seatbelt sign on. After we got to FL250, we were told to descend to 16,000 and cross the Haley (SP?) intersection at 12,000 feet. We reduced our speed to 250kts and descended to 11,000 feet. We contacted Chicago Approach and we found out that we’d be landing on 27L. We flew over the Gary, IN airport and the southern part of Lake Michigan. We descended to 7,000 feet where I got horrible ear pain pressure and yes I did all of that stuff to help relieve the pain. Never worked until we got on the ground. We passed Midway and the City of Chicago, Navy Pier, The Sears Tower and most of Chicago’s goodies. O’Hare came into sight. We then made a spectacular late turn to 250 and saw a great view of Chicago. We slowed to 180 kts and intercepted the localizer. 180 @Will (A familiar word heard on ORD ATC.) The gear came down at 3.17 and we passed the town of Norridge. The Altimeter at O’Hare was 2995 and the winds were 300@11. We landed at 3.20 and exited 27L at T and taxied to B4 via A10, A, A8. We arrived at B4 at 3.22. We deplaned, went to the bathroom where I saw my brother Peter watching the seat covers go round. After that, we went to Baggage Claim 11 and got all of our bags. We then called a cab and sat in some traffic on 190 and got home at 4.22.

Pictures are here:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...ad.main/45935/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.