Wiki Posts
Search

Taking CO with a broken leg

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2004, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Taking CO with a broken leg

I had broken my leg a few days before this trip so I called to request a wheelchair for assistance.

April 8th
Continental Airlines 1566 SEA-IAH
Departure: 12:25 am
Arrival: 6:25 am
Aircraft: 737-900
Seat: 1E
Meal: Snack

I was driven up to the curb by my sister and her fiance. My sister helped me with my luggage and crutches as I made my way inside to the ticket counter. The check-in was empty and I used a kiosk without a wait. I informed the agent I had requested a wheelchair, and she radioed for 1 to pick me up.

I waited at the check-in desk for a few moments, and then I was whisked away in a wheelchair to the security check point. I was able to walk the few steps through the metal detector, and set the machine off with my cast. After swabbing my cast, and getting wanded down, I was then taken into one of those go karts to my gate, B-11.

Boarding began a few minutes late at 11:55, and I was asked if I would need assistance going down the jetway, which I declined. I found seat 1E, and the FA was nice enough to stow my bag and take my crutches for me. I was asked if I wanted a drink and chose a coke. Then we were offered a cold shrimp plate for after take-off, which I accepted. First was full tonight, and coach was about 90%.

Our taxi was quick, and we were in the air on our way to IAH. We climed to 35,000 and I reclined my leather chair. I opened my tray table so the FA wouldnt have to wake me if I dozed off. Hot towel were handed out, but I declined. Our drinks were placed on our armrests, and sure enough I fell asleep.

I awoke a few minutes later to a cold plate. No linens had been given out and the plate consisted of 3 shrimp, cocktail sauce, two slices of salami, crackers, cheese, grapes, and a pecan delight. I only ate the shrimp and salami, and my tray was cleared away quickly after. I utilized the lumbar, and fell asleep.

The staff was very efficient, and since a quick drink service was given in coach, three FA's were serving F-class. If you ever break your leg and have to fly, dont choose 1E. I found that the wall was restricting my leg from being straight out, and had to move my leg into the aisle.

I awoke to our descent, and the FA came around with a OJ and water. I happily accepted a water, and tried to awake. We taxied into gate E3, and my wheelchair was waiting for me right outside the plane. Thankfully, E3 was my departure gate, so I wouldnt have to change planes. I was brought into the terminal where I sat and awaited boarding.

Continental Airlines 1248 IAH-FLL
Departure: 7:41 am
Arrival: 11:03
Aircraft: 737-900
Seat: 2B
Meal: Breakfast

The Boarding annoucement was made, and they began by boarding first class customers only. Instead of all elite access customers. Their was a new crew on this flight, and I was again offered assistance with my bag and crutches.

Seat 2B proved to be a good choice with my cast. The extra cut out provided just enough space for me to fully strech out my leg.

I was offered a beverage and chose a water. Coach was about 85% full, and first had 4 open seats. Flight time was announced at 1 hr and 47 min. We taxied out for departure behind an ERJ-145, and a 737-500.

After take-off the captain came on to inform us that a heavy tail wind would give us an earlier arrival time of 10:48. Breakfast orders were taken, and the choices were an egg and cheese crossiant, or special K ceral. I chose the sandwich with a water.

Hot towels were offered again, but I declined. No linens were handed out again. The tray was presented with an egg and cheese crossaint, canteloup, grapes, and a hot cinnamon roll. I started with the fruit which was ok, and took off the crossaint, and just ate the egg and cheese.

Their was only 1 FA serving meals, and she did a marvelous job. After my tray was cleared I reclined my seat and dozed off again.

I awoke to our landing in FLL, and we taxied into C-1. I felt I could make the trek from the gate to the parking lot, so I didnt ask for a wheelchair.

All in all, a good flight with CO. The staff was excellent in assisting me with my luggage etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.