Wiki Posts
Search

As F Mco-sea-anc-sea-dca

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2004, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Cool As F Mco-sea-anc-sea-dca

Hi folks,

It is time for Carfield’s trip on Alaska. Well, it will be among one of the last few AS trips that I will fly this year – just enough to qualify for MVP Gold 2005. Then I think I will bid farewell to Alaska, as the new programs no longer fit me! The outbound flights actually made me feel that I chose the right path to bid AS farewell – rough & hurried F/A and chaotic boarding. But the return flight made me feel sad that I had to say goodbye to Alaska soon – friendliest F/As (not to be mention funny and genuine), something that AA and other major US airlines don’t have – the Alaska spirit.

April 2, 2004
AS 9 MCO-SEA Lv0800 Arr1118 Boeing 737-900 N319AS
Well I stayed overnight at Courtyard by Marriott the evening before, which was fine. I took the 6:00am shuttle to MCO and found a rather quiet airport. I checked in with the AS desk, which was fine, and the gate agents were pondering about my carry-on, which were a good sign. After a few explanations, I was fine and headed to McDonald for my Egg McMuffin and then headed to the long, but well-managed security line. I was at the gate an hour prior to departure. I sat around and watched a few early birds takeoff. I was surprised to see Air Tran’s A320 taking off from MCO this morning – I guess efficient use of the planes.

Boarding began around 7:35pm at gate 5 for first class and MVP members. I noticed a new style of mini-bottled waters – still the blue “True” Alaska water bottles but with an Alaska plane on the label, which made it nice and a souvenir. Wall Street Journals were piled at the magazine racks and the F/As made no attempt to pass them, and to hang jackets. My neighbor actually asked me to fetch her a copy of WSJ. Boarding was rushed and everyone was hassled. Door was closed at 7:54pm and we wasted no time to push back. Following an Air Canada’s A321 C-GITU (or something like that), we took off from Runway 36L at 8:11am. Flying time was a quick five hours and twenty-two minutes with a cruising attitude of 35,000feet.

After leveling off, Dig E players were passed out and sold to Y class passengers. Well, no initial round of beverage in first – the F/As just took breakfast entrée order and then passed out beverage with the fruit plate and scone. The fruit plate consists of strawberry, orange segments, kiwi, and pineapples, which were fresh, and was accompanied by a cranberry scone and butter. For entrée selections, there was a choice of Scrambled eggs w/smoked salmon and a tomato sauce on top of muffin, accompanied by rosemary potatoes, and asparagus tips with hollandaise sauce, and Tillamook Cheddar Cheese Omelet w/ chicken sausages, potatoes, and tomatoes. I had the smoked salmon, which was fine, and I like the side asparagus tips. After a round of tea and coffee service, I promptly fell asleep till about an hour and half prior to arrival. There was a pre-arrival snack, which was a new dish for me – a cheese plate – two slices of cheddar cheese and a slice of Swiss, accompanied by grapes, 2 dried apricots, Carr’s crackers, a garlic ciabatta topped with Parmesan cheese, and a pack of mixed nuts. It was quite a nice filling snack at the end of a six hours flight. Descent soon began at 1:13pm EST, and hot towels were passed out after pilot signaled preparation for landing, and we landed on a sunny Seattle R/W34L at 10:33am PST. We parked at gate C3 a few minutes later. The flight had about an hour and half before heading down to San Diego.

I headed to the Board Room and stayed there for the next five hours, as I booked myself on the 3:30pm flight to Anchorage. I purposely did that, so I could enjoy a nice Alaska dinner on the way to ANC, and enjoyed complimentary wireless internet access at the airport lounge, instead of paying $9.95 at the airport hotel. I sat in the upper level facing the window and enjoyed plane-spotting for a bright sunny day at Seattle. Well I spotted a nice EVA Air’s new livery Boeing 747-400 Combi landing from Taipei, and a British Airways’ Boeing 747-400 with Union Flag landed from London LHR.

AS 93 SEA-ANC Lv1538 Arr1819 Boeing 737-400 N755AS
Well the flight arrived early from San Francisco International, and it was my first time experiencing the new TANGO procedure. I found it to be chaotic and hassled at best. They did not pre-board the handicapped passengers, which we had a quite number of them today. I felt really bad for those seniors and people who hurt their legs. They were rushed throughout boarding, and I felt that AS should have allowed them to pre-board at least. After first class and MVP passengers were called, everyone was asked to board. Some people really did not know what was going on, but anyway, the F/As were slightly better and jackets were hung immediately. Water bottles were at the seat consoles, and due to early arrival of the plane, we began boarding at 3:10pm, and door was closed at 3:54pm. Two unlucky non-rev passengers were bumped last minute. We pushed back from gate D7 at 3:37pm, and headed to Runway 34R for takeoff at 3:48pm. Flying time was three hours and two minutes, with a cruising attitude of 31,000ft. The view was wonderful for the first two hours, but the bulkhead seats were really bad – lack of legroom. 1A was okay with Boeing 737-700/900s and MD-80s, but for Boeing 737-400, I highly don’t recommend them.

Beverage was served first with old-fashioned peanuts up front, and followed by dinner service. For coach, there was a Mediterranean chicken sandwich served. For first class, we got the full meal service, which began with a tomato, cucumber, and radish salad on top of two iceberg lettuce leaves and yellow pepper ring, accompanied by a creamy cilantro dressing and a French roll. It was a typical salad and the portion was okay. For entrée choices, there was a choice of Pork Tenderloin with Asian noodles or Mediterranean chicken, which was basically a poached chicken breast topped with chunky tomato sauce, Asian fried rice with chopped vegetables, and snow pea pods. It was an okay dish, but not my favorite among all dishes served by Alaska Airlines. For dessert, there was a slice of pumpkin cheesecake with chocolate sauce. It was very choppy as we headed towards Anchorage, as there was freezing rain and light snow in Anchorage. We landed on a deserted Anchorage airport R/W6R at 5:50pm and despite of this, I noticed a sole Air China’s Boeing 747-400F and a China Airlines’ Boeing 747-400F – very interesting picture at the apron. We were parked at gate B6 a few minutes later and I noticed that the new concourse was almost ready for opening in June.

I waited a bit for the shuttle to the Courtyard by Mariott at Anchorage Airport. I was lucky as there was a van waiting outside for the pilots of my flight. Without bags, I arrived before the pilots, but soon they showed up. Called me crazy –- I really enjoyed the view of snow and those mountains. I stayed at the hotel for the rest of the evening.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Red face part II

April 3, 2004
AS 2 ANC-SEA Lv0800 Arr1219 Boeing 737-700 N624AS
Anchorage was extremely at these early morning hours, as many Asian cargo planes arrived early from USA Mainland and ready for their quick flights back to their respective Asian destinations. At the airport, Alaska Airlines was quite busy and it was the web bag setup. I just got a boarding pass and then headed to the board room. There was a premium line at Anchorage, which was nice. The Board Room was the same old, but I saw pictures of the new board room at the new concourse. That looks amazing. I had a bagel and some orange juice. Our aircraft was parked at gate B8, next to a United’s A320 N422UA heading to Denver. The loading looked fine, as the flight was almost full from the crowded gate area, and the long line at the United’s counters at ANC. Boarding began at 7:20am and there was ample time to complete the boarding. The F/As were much better this morning, and she even offered coffee for fellow first class passengers, in addition to water bottles. Door was closed at 8:02am, as we were waiting for some paperwork and the fuel truck arrived late. Due to the lack of tail wind, flying time was three hours and ten minutes with a cruising attitude of 37,000ft. We headed to Runway 32 shortly and took off at 8:17am.

There was an initial round of beverage and for breakfast, there was a one-tray affair in first class. It basically consists of two pancakes, a spicy sausage, and a slice of pineapple, orange, and pear. It completely lacked quantity and I was glad that I had a bagel early on, but I got use some Burger King. I was expecting a typical Alaska breakfast with fruit and scone, and then entrée. I guess that also became history on the Anchorage routes. The breakfast snack in coach was a bacon, egg, and cheese hot pocket. I felt asleep after the breakfast snack, and was awake around 11am and got a glass of coke from the F/A and some bags of peanuts. Decent soon began on a beautiful day at Seattle. We landed on Runway 34L at 12:27pm PST. We parked at gate D2 a few minutes later.

AS 2 SEA-DCA Lv1314 Arr2100 Boeing 737-700 N624AS
Due to our late arrival, we were not allowed to deplane. Well, I was the only one in first heading to DC, and there were about 20-30 passengers in Y that were continuing to DCA. It was high actions at the cabin. First the ANC F/As left when the new F/As arrived. There were four cleaning staffs entered the plane after first class cabin was vacated. They started to change the pillow case, and folding the blankets (no there were no fresh blankets), and collected trash. They moved their ways to the back, as the ramp guys came up with Dig E players and stored them at the closet behind first class. The new F/As said hello to me and stored their staff. Soon the ground agent came back to check our names and then boarding began at 12:54pm. 12 first class passengers and 105 Y passengers were on board today to DCA. There was an oversold situation and there was a passenger that needed to head to DC urgently and to be with her passing relative. Alaska offered a first class seat to IAD at the redeye flights and a free RT tickets to everywhere that Alaska and Horizon flies to. A kind gentleman in coach took the offer, and this lady was boarded immediately. Door was closed at 1:15pm and we headed to Runway 16L shortly. However due to debris discovered at Runway 16R, there was a delayed in our takeoff slots, as landings and takeoffs took place at one single runway. We took off from Runway 16R at 1:39pm. Flying time was a quick four hours and twenty-two minutes, with a cruising attitude of 37,000feet.

Our friendly F/A was really kind in first class and never stopped refilling beverage and serving meals. She even allowed passengers to eat their dinners at their time of choosing. She first started off with peanuts as our hors d’oeuvre as she cheerfully announced and beverage of our choice. She attempted to card me and I told her that I passed my 21 quite a while ago. After the beverage service, we had the infamous Alaska salad, which was a mesclun greens, accompanied by an orange segments, raw almonds, a slice of Brie, and sesame oriental dressing. There was a choice of multigrain, olive, and foccacia bread slices. The salad was pretty nice, and then there was a choice of entrees – Thai prawns with cilantro cream sauce, rice pilaf and baby bak choy, or Beef fillet with au poivre sauce, green beans almondine, potatoes, and carrots. I had the prawns, which were nice as usual. For dessert, there was the same old pumpkin cheesecake with chocolate sauce. For coach, there was a choice of beef straganoff or halibut. For the rest of the flight, I read Max Weber’s Economy and Society, and about an hour prior to arrival, the warmed bowl of mixed nuts were served, followed by more beverage.

Due to the thirty minutes rule, Dig E players were collected forty-five minutes prior to arrival, and seat belt sign turned off accordingly. After seat belt sign was turned on, hot towels were served and the pilot signaled preparation for landing at 5:49pmPST. We landed at Runway 19 at 9:01pmEST and parked at Gate 3. It was a very pleasant flight and gave the lead F/A one of those customers’ appreciation awards. She was really nice and I will definitely miss these Alaska days in the future.

Well, I flew US Shuttle back to La Guardia the next day. Nothing much to report! Well I got a full can of soda and a bag of pretzel snaps on the shuttle flight, which was good. I hope you enjoy the report!

Carfield
Old Apr 7, 2004, 6:10 am

As usual a stellar report. I will be back in trip writing mode in a couple of weeks as I do a LAX-NRT-BKK-NRT-LAX run. Hope my prose is as good as yours. Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:28 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Thumbs up

Thanks for the excellent descriptions, Carfield. One of these days when I'm over in the US, I'll head from SEA/GEG to ANC...definitely somewhere I want to visit with Mrs QF WP.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 5:39 am
Uli

Thank you for the report!
It shows well how the image of an airline can be dictated by their F/As ...
Old Apr 8, 2004, 5:47 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Nice report.

So, after saying fond farewell to AS, which lucky airline
is getting your business for the rest of the year?

Also, are you still collecting other airlines' menus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.