Flying High, Haggling Low: A BA holiday to Marrakesh

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying High, Haggling Low: A BA holiday to Marrakesh

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2024, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by MikeFly
Little off topic on your trip report. You mention giving a golden ticket. I just became a BA Gold and cannot figure out how to do that. I had an excellent crew from RAK to LHR and would like to compliment her efforts.
Hi, log in, then click the My Account link, then once on that page look on the my account menu, golden ticket is at the bottom of the Executive Club section

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...golden_tickets
Old May 11, 2024, 10:11 am

i am very interested in your experience at Menara airport
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
BA668
LHR-RAK
G-EUYI

Another new one for me, G-EUYI, a mere 13 Year old A320.

In the end it was quite long taxi this afternoon and finally off the ground at 12:50. The crew didn’t move until well after the seatbelt light was out and then it was a pretty slow service. Drinks trolley finally made it after around 50 minutes and the meal arrived after an hour and a quarter. Surprisingly there was one cottage pie left and it was OK, despite the pea overload.

The free wifi still has challenges, it kicked me out after about an hour and then that was it, no way to get back in, just an error that it had already been used for my account.

An averagely indifferent crew, there was constantly someone on the go up front although they were slow and disorganised . That said, when I wandered to the back to get a couple of JD the ladies there were comfortably ensconced in the last two rows having a good chinwag. Felt like the IFL didn’t really have a grip on the service or the other cabin crew.

Three episodes of the mentalist later and I had just put all my tech away when 10 minutes to landing was announced. I hopped across to 11F on the off chance that there would be some scenic opportunities on the way down, but, alas, no.
offerendum, lamphs, mmcg and 1 others like this.
Old May 11, 2024, 11:40 am
Original Poster

A very short taxi to the jet bridge and quickly through to passport control.

According to the chatty border agent we got lucky, it was deathly quiet and I was through to baggage reclaim in under five minutes, most of that spent chatting to the agent.

The bags were pretty quick and I was landside at 16:44

Old May 11, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
And I thought I travelled a lot.

Great start to what sounds like another fun trip.

Originally Posted by JapesUK
A little stroll later and back to the First lounge with a little over 2 hours to go. The duty free promotions have changed again, and today we have Roku gin and Remy Martin cognac.

Tried Roku Gin in Tokyo last week and really enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by JapesUK
With forty minutes to go I took the long march to gate A3 and arrived in time to see the complete pigs ear the agents were making of boarding. Lady at the tensa-maze was calling 1 and 2, automated announcement was for 0 and 1, no real checking going on, group 5 ahead of me, just a mess
That's the BA LHR experience I remember so fondly.
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Had booked a shared shuttle as part of the holiday and that was a major tactical
mistake! Fully fifty minutes waiting until another couple showed up who were going to a completely different hotel. A six seater minibus and I was the sole passenger for the vast majority of the trip

Marrakech is very much as I remember it, 90% building site

It was a really long trip out to the hotel, no popping into the city for a quick visit this week!

Finally arrived at the hotel at 18:20
offerendum, lamphs, mmcg and 4 others like this.

Last edited by JapesUK; May 11, 2024 at 11:58 am
Old May 11, 2024, 11:47 am

thanks for your menara pictures indeed you were lucky
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
And I thought I travelled a lot.

Great start to what sounds like another fun trip.

Tried Roku Gin in Tokyo last week and really enjoyed it.

That's the BA LHR experience I remember so fondly.
I think my years mileage might make one or two of your trips

The boarding at Heathrow was a complete farce, one of the worst I’ve seen this year.
Old May 11, 2024, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nkob
thanks for your menara pictures indeed you were lucky
I’ll have a proper mooch around the airport on departure. This afternoon I wanted to be on my way, some chance

Last edited by JapesUK; May 11, 2024 at 2:52 pm
Old May 11, 2024, 11:56 am
Original Poster

The curse of the European ‘double’

The room is basic but perfectly acceptable and even has a little balcony with a view of the garden

Bags dropped and the first order of business was a beer, actually, two beers, it’s about 29 centigrade which means that, as a British northerner, I’m melting!

I’ve no idea what the local beer is, it’s out of an unbranded tap, but it is
cold and wet and hits the spot!

That catches me up to date and now I am going to sit here in the sun and enjoy the second beer. Apparently dinner starts at 19:30 so I think tonight will be dinner and then bed, we will see.
DFW_CK, offerendum, SFO777 and 9 others like this.
Old May 11, 2024, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

OH DEAR! I should have packed my big boy pants!

Time to graze
Old May 11, 2024, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

And time to finish! I tried a spoon of almost everything and the flavours were good, albeit that the temperature could be better. Rapidly approaching 9pm which means I’ve been awake close to seventeen hours. A paid for Remy Martin to close the night and then time for bed.

So far, I like this place far more than I expected to, let’s see what tomorrow brings.
Old May 11, 2024, 4:22 pm

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
Oh cool! JapesUK is on the move again. 😁 Looking forward to following along with this one too. 😊
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 8:46 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
That food spread looks massive!

Sad about the mediocre flight to RAK though, but at least you got there and the weather sounds nice.

I would second SFO777’s positive comments about the Roku Gin - it is pretty good.
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

good morning from a relatively cool marrakech where it is not yet 7am, the sun is only just rising, and the only sound is the birdsong from the garden.

The plan of the day is: that there is no plan of the day!

Guessing that there would be no kettle in the room I packed this vital piece of equipment and so coffee is literally in the cup

The hotel timings for its bacchanalian feasts are outlined in the key card holder

And apparently there is a program of activities and entertainment I am sure to ignore

For now the plan is to finish my coffee, shower, and head to breakfast. After that I think an explore and tour of the hotel is in order

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.