Four days in Baku, an Azerbaijan adventure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four days in Baku, an Azerbaijan adventure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by atcodave
..... 10 nights in the Caribbean as of Friday, and no there will be no trip report, ....
BOO!
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JapesUK
BOO!
If your very lucky and my ageing mind can cope I’ll post a picture of my coffee, orange juice and fizz from the lounge….although with an 0630 check in, I think a Bloody Mary is more appropriate. After all it’s after 5pm somewhere in the world!
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:44 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
That looks like instructions for a Japanese toilet.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:50 pm

Into the first lounge and the beef madras is still on offer although they’ve toned the chilli down, too many complaints? .
It makes a nice dip for the nachos if you're in a snacking mood...
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
It makes a nice dip for the nachos if you're in a snacking mood...
Thats a genius call! Its a month until I’m next in T5, fingers crossed the madras is a permanent addition.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:03 pm

You'll have to do a report on Marrakesh. Lots to do there.
I can recommend a meal at the Royal Mansoor hotel. Not cheap but very good even by world standards and a nice way to get access to the fabulous hotel without the £2k/night price tag for the rooms.
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

You'll have to do a report on Marrakesh. Lots to do there.
I can recommend a meal at the Royal Mansoor hotel. Not cheap but very good even by world standards and a nice way to get access to the fabulous hotel without the £2k/night price tag for the rooms.
Thanks for that tip, you know I like good food. Marrakesh is a BA holiday and is all inclusive, this will be the first time ever for me staying all inclusive, unless you count club lounges I’m not actually planning to do anything, but you never know how bored I’ll get, or how quickly… I am pretty incapable of doing nothing for any length of time.

And in the same vein, I may end up doing trip reports of the boring trips, just to make them less boring for me One of the london day trips is a visit to BA waterside and the BA heritage centre, that might interest others. I can always invite ChatGPT!
Tocsin and DeathSlam like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:54 pm

Thanks for that tip, you know I like good food. Marrakesh is a BA holiday and is all inclusive, this will be the first time ever for me staying all inclusive, unless you count club lounges I’m not actually planning to do anything, but you never know how bored I’ll get, or how quickly… I am pretty incapable of doing nothing for any length of time.
The all inclusive places in Marrakesh all seem to be outside the city so you need to travel in. Hopefully you will get what you want from it. My last BAH was also an all inclusive and I managed to read 10+ books and lose a couple of layers of skin. It did the job, I feel a lot more relaxed than before, but it didn't seem like something that would interest the FT community.
My Marrakesh visit was not very relaxing at all, but the meal at that hotel was one of the highlights and I can still remember it. I walked there and the security guards at the entrance were obviously very unused to that form of entry. This was the place setting for the 7 course meal that followed

offerendum and JapesUK like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

The all inclusive places in Marrakesh all seem to be outside the city so you need to travel in. Hopefully you will get what you want from it. My last BAH was also an all inclusive and I managed to read 10+ books and lose a couple of layers of skin. It did the job, I feel a lot more relaxed than before, but it didn't seem like something that would interest the FT community.
My Marrakesh visit was not very relaxing at all, but the meal at that hotel was one of the highlights and I can still remember it. I walked there and the security guards at the entrance were obviously very unused to that form of entry. This was the place setting for the 7 course meal that followed
The hotel/resort is in the palmeraie and it was one of those pricing funnies that BA holidays do so well, the total holiday cost is less than the online room rate!

Exactly my feeling regarding a trip report, and my All inclusive experience will probably mirror yours. It is my birthday during the break so Royal Mansoor can be my birthday treat
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Enjoyable read as always, written in that classic JapesUK style!

The architecture in Baku looks fascinating, one for a future (preferably mistake-fare led) trip. Not sure about the craziness of the mud flats though…
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coathanger
Enjoyable read as always, written in that classic JapesUK style!

The architecture in Baku looks fascinating, one for a future (preferably mistake-fare led) trip. Not sure about the craziness of the mud flats though…
Thanks!

The mud flats were the highlight if the trip, its just completely bonkers. I’d recommend that tour to anyone (of sound heart)
Coathanger likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 6:50 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for the Trip Report.
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Great report, and glad you survived the fairly brutal travel day on the return!
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:01 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Great report once again, thank you
hugolover and JapesUK like this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Outstanding report JapesUK! Great pics and narrative as usual. Baku looks very interesting and your TR whet my appetite for our September visit. Hopefully we'll get the same taxi driver you had from the airport.
JapesUK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.