A.I. goes to Aberdeen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A.I. goes to Aberdeen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
It seems my initial impression of the hot food being cooked to order was a tad optimistic. Instead, the dishes seem to pre-exist in a state of limbo in the kitchen, biding their time until summoned. The gap between placing an order and the arrival of my breakfast was a mere minute—a timeline that would challenge even the most efficient of chefs.

Opting for a breakfast ensemble similar to yesterday's, I found Crowne Plaza's rendition to be marginally superior to that of the Premier Inn. The sausage boasted a more robust flavor, and the hash brown appeared fresher. However, the eggs, which I had specifically requested over easy, were anything but, veering into the territory of culinary defiance.

Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:29 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
ChatGPT or not, that breakfast looks decidedly average. No amount of AI could fix that...
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by eightblack
ChatGPT or not, that breakfast looks decidedly average. No amount of AI could fix that...
Agreed, the whole thing was disappointing, I’ve had far better in other Crowne Plaza establishments. At a price tag of £12 it’s no bargain, especially as I already had the continental part included in the unexpected club upgrade.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Armed with an abundance of time before my walking tour commenced, I heeded VorelNaCestach and hopped on the 727 bus towards the city. During the brief five-minute amble to the bus stop, I encountered a duo of exquisitely adorned dolphin sculptures, adding a splash of artistry to the morning.

True to the timetable, the bus arrived punctually, whisking me into the city for the modest sum of four pounds. The bus was a beacon of cleanliness and modernity, equipped with both visual and audible stop notifications, ensuring that I'd have no valid excuse for overshooting my intended stop.

Old Mar 3, 2024, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Arriving at the tour meeting point a generous thirty minutes ahead of schedule, I embarked on a quest for the elixir of life, morning coffee. Like a beacon of hope in the vast northern wilderness, the sight of Greggs emerged—a true bastion of civilization. Armed now with a steaming cup of coffee and a Scotch pie, I'm well-prepared to face the morning's adventures on foot.

Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Poor show for the Crowne Plaza (nice to see it from the inside after dropping folk off there many a time to avoid paying the airport pick up/drop off fee!) by not having any rowies there beside the croissants!

The dolphins in your pic above were part of the dolphin challenge we had in 2014 that raised a lot of money for charity.
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by JapesUK
Arriving at the tour meeting point a generous thirty minutes ahead of schedule, I embarked on a quest for the elixir of life, morning coffee. Like a beacon of hope in the vast northern wilderness, the sight of Greggs emerged—a true bastion of civilization. Armed now with a steaming cup of coffee and a Scotch pie, I'm well-prepared to face the morning's adventures on foot.
Good strategy with the coffee and Scotch Pie. Acquire buttery assets later, armed with recommendations from your tour guide
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Today's exploratory mission was led by Scot Free Tours, with our sherpa through time being Taylor, a young American student. Surprisingly, the "walking" tour was light on the walking—we clocked in at maybe 4,000 steps over two hours. However, what the journey lacked in physical exertion, Taylor more than compensated for with storytelling prowess. The bulk of our adventure was spent unraveling tales of the myriad characters who've danced through Aberdeen's storied past. Despite the biting cold, Taylor's knack for engagement kept us all captivated for the duration. I can wholeheartedly endorse this tour for anyone looking to be entertained and educated without risking too much wear on their walking shoes.

Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Taylor's seconded Alexandra’s endorsement, and I embarked on a fifteen-minute pilgrimage to Thain's, the promised land of Stovies.

Triumph was mine as I secured a pot of their finest, turning the trek back into an odyssey fueled by the anticipation of a savory feast.

I must confess, the stovies met their end with a speed that bordered on indecent, disappearing just as my intuitive navigation skills—guided more by hope than precision—deposited me at the welcoming doors of All Bar One. A sight glimpsed in passing from the bus window had morphed into destiny, guiding me to a haven of warmth and much-needed amenities. Fate, it seemed, had a plan, and it involved a satisfying conclusion to my Stovies quest, right on the threshold of AB1.

A well earned Nip after the chilling mornings stroll
Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:56 am

Programs: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Originally Posted by JapesUK
The breakfast buffet, while checking off the basic prerequisites of a standard continental offering, left much to the imagination—surprisingly sparse, it fell short of expectations.

On a brighter note, the hot food, prepared on request, did proudly feature haggis among its selections, a nod to local culinary traditions.
I see that the culinary offerings haven't improved. Instead of culinary delights it was a culinary disappointment.
Looking forward to seeing the photos from your walking tour, especially from Footdee
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VorelNaCestach
Looking forward to seeing the photos from your walking tour,….
That is them above It is fair to say that there is definite scope for a return visit should calendars and BA pricing align… this time in the summer!
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Navigating my return to the Crowne Plaza, I hitched a ride on the trusty 7272 bus, a chariot of convenience in the vast wilderness of public transport. With my luggage in tow, I embarked on the now-familiar trek through the tunnels and made my way over to the airport. It was a journey of retraced steps and silent farewells to the temporary home that had been the Crowne Plaza, all the while marveling at the efficiency of a well-timed bus route.

Checking in was deserted and so I dared to hope the rest of the airport experience might follow suit. Alas, such hopes were dashed upon reaching security.

The scene was one of modern efficiency at odds with itself: four shiny new scanners stood at the ready, yet three were inexplicably out of commission, creating a bottleneck that would have made even the most patient of souls sigh in resignation. This unforeseen pinch point on the land side of operations, coupled with a throughput speed that could only be described as glacial, afforded me the unexpected opportunity for a leisurely five-minute chat with the security lady. It was a conversation born not out of choice but circumstance, a silver lining to the cloud of delay that hung over the security checkpoint.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:58 am

Programs: AA
Another great JapesUK weekend adventure to follow along!
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:17 am
Original Poster

After navigating the gauntlet of security checks, I found myself a mere stone's throw away from the sanctuary of the BA lounge within the departures hall. The lounge presented no startling revelations, sticking closely to the script of the standard BA business lounge experience, albeit with a slightly pared-down selection. However, a small twist awaited in the form of a couple of whisky varieties that seemed to be additions to the roster, or at least, I hadn't encountered them in my previous lounge visits.

Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:20 am
Original Poster

I must confess, the bulk of my tenure in the lounge was devoted not to sampling whiskies or perusing the buffet but to reclaiming the sleep that had eluded me the previous night. It was only upon emerging from my slumber that I discovered our inbound flight was running a tardy thirty minutes. Yet, as if my awakening was a cue for its arrival, no sooner had I processed this delay than the aircraft made its grand entrance, gracefully touching down.
roadwarriorafrica and mmcg like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.