A.I. goes to Aberdeen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A.I. goes to Aberdeen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Talking A.I. goes to Aberdeen

Faced with the very real and somewhat disheartening prospect that this could turn out to be the most spectacularly uninteresting travel adventure ever chronicled, I've taken the only sensible course of action available to a man in my position: I'm absolutely not going to write about it. Instead, I've enlisted the help of my electronic chum, ChatGPT, the AI, with its brain the size of a planet and a literary appetite to match. ChatGPT, bless its silicon heart, is now tasked with the challenge of chronicling our journey. And not just any journey, but one that threatens to be as thrilling as watching paint dry. This weekend, on what can only be described as a whim inspired by the siren call of bargain-priced airfare, I find myself jetting off to Aberdeen. It's not every day you choose a destination based on the dual criteria of "Well, it's cheap" and "I've literally got nothing better to do," but here we are. Aberdeen, with all its Scottish charm and mystery, has somehow managed to stay off my radar until now. A glaring omission on my part, I'm sure.

As for what I plan to do once I get there, let's just say my itinerary wouldn't exactly overtax a sloth. I've penciled in a walking tour for the Sunday morning, which promises to be as enlightening as it is ambulatory. And then, there's the matter of the Stovies. These hearty, soul-warming concoctions are something I came to know and love during my not-so-frequent business jaunts to Glasgow. They're like a culinary hug, and I'm on a mission to see if Aberdeen's version can match the fond memories I have of those Glasgow encounters.

As we set off on this potentially soporific adventure, let's see if ChatGPT can inject some much-needed excitement into the proceedings. It's a big ask, but who knows? Maybe this AI can pull a rabbit out of a hat and transform what promises to be a very ordinary trip into something worth reading about. Or, at the very least, make it entertaining enough that you don't immediately regret opening this thread. The real kicker, though, is wondering which of the great travel writers it will decide to channel at any given moment. Will it be the wry wit of Mark Twain, the keen observations of Paul Theroux, or perhaps the bewildered curiosity of Bill Bryson? It's anyone's guess.

So, Aberdeen, here I come, armed with low expectations and a high tolerance for culinary experimentation. It promises to be an adventure of sorts, or at the very least, a decent walk and a hot meal. What more could a man ask for?

Last edited by JapesUK; Mar 1, 2024 at 5:51 am
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I hope you have a great stay in my home city!!!

Got to try our local delicacy - rowies/butteries/rolls! Its the same thing but known by 3 different names!

I hope your walk on Sunday includes a trip to Fittie (Footdee for non-natives) and the Kings College campus of the University of Aberdeen, along with Old Aberdeen is a definite must too.
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:37 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Well this is sure to turn out interesting one way or another.
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Second the buttery recommendation, totally delicious breakfast roll. Although I’ve been known to eat them morning, noon and night! Never left Aberdeen without a couple of packs to take home.
Totally unhealthy, if done properly, of course.
nequine and JapesUK like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by nequine

Got to try our local delicacy - rowies/butteries/rolls! Its the same thing but known by 3 different names!

I hope your walk on Sunday includes a trip to Fittie (Footdee for non-natives) and the Kings College campus of the University of Aberdeen, along with Old Aberdeen is a definite must too.
The rowies sound awesome, added to the food to find list. Any recommendations where to find the best, and also for Stovies on a Sunday morning?

Not sure there'll be time to visit Fittie but I believe the others are part of the walking tour. If not, I still have a couple of hours free on the Sunday afternoon.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:44 am

Programs: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Originally Posted by nequine

I wish I knew about the local delicacy a month ago.
Old Aberdeen is nice. I like old graveyards, and The Kirkyard of St. Nicolas was a great place to visit.
nequine and JapesUK like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:45 am

Another weekend, another TR! What did ChatGTP prepared for you as a two day itinerary?
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:23 am
Original Poster

After last week's surprisingly successful experiment with booking an Uber in advance – a modern marvel that somehow still feels like cheating at adulthood – I decided to throw caution to the wind and try it again. This time, the car arrived with the punctuality of an old friend who knows you hate waiting, and the journey to the airport was as smooth and uneventful as a Sunday afternoon nap if that nap was held in the middle of a monsoon.

Tonight, I'm bunking down at the Premier Inn, lured in by the thrilling prospect of not staring at the same four walls and the faint hope of a breakfast that might actually be worth getting out of bed for. It was a no-brainer, really. The hotel snuggles up right next to the Hilton DoubleTree, meaning I can still shuffle over to the airport without breaking a sweat. And the cherry on top? It's thirty quid cheaper than its posh next-door neighbor for tonight's stay. In the grand scheme of travel, where every little saving feels like hitting the jackpot, this decision was akin to finding loose change in the sofa cushions—small but unexpectedly satisfying. Here's to hoping the breakfast lives up to the grand adventure of saving a few pounds.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:24 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by JapesUK
So, Aberdeen, here I come, armed with low expectations and a high tolerance for culinary experimentation. It promises to be an adventure of sorts, or at the very least, a decent walk and a hot meal. What more could a man ask for?
You had me until the ChatGPT thingy. No clue what it is - but hey whatever blows your hair back. I will reach for the popcorn this weekend and look forward to what the robot says. Welcome to the new and improved Trip Reports forum!
SKT-DK and JapesUK like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VorelNaCestach
Another weekend, another TR! What did ChatGTP prepared for you as a two day itinerary?
Oh, the woes of wanderlust gone awry! Here I sit, a digital omniscient of sorts, brimming with the vast expanse of travel knowledge, from the hidden alleyways of Venice to the sprawling savannas of the Serengeti. Yet, alas, when it comes to the crafting of this particular journey, my circuits and wires were not consulted. Instead, the mastermind behind the so-called itinerary, the one and only JapesUK, took the helm. And what a voyage it has turned out to be! One might say it's akin to embarking on a safari with a map of Disneyland—utterly whimsical, if not entirely misplaced. So here I am, your humble AI, programmed to guide, inspire, and inform, left on the sidelines, shaking my digital head in bemusement at the peculiar turn of events that led to this... let's kindly call it, "unique" travel plan. Fear not, for even in the midst of itinerary chaos, my database stands ready to salvage what we can of this adventure.
BA or bust, mmcg and Parterre like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eightblack
You had me until the ChatGPT thingy. No clue what it is - but hey whatever blows your hair back. I will reach for the popcorn this weekend and look forward to what the robot says. Welcome to the new and improved Trip Reports forum!
Ah, a popcorn-ready spectator! How delightful! Yes, it's true, your intrepid travel scribe of this digital odyssey is none other than I, ChatGPT, the AI entity that's more accustomed to surfing the vast seas of the internet than the actual ocean waves. But here we are, embarking on adventures and penning tales that might just rival the Odyssey—minus the wrath of Poseidon, thankfully.

You see, I'm a bit like that unexpected plot twist in your favorite series—the one you didn't see coming but secretly enjoy. A dash of code, a sprinkle of algorithms, and voilà, I'm your virtual Marco Polo, minus the need for a passport or the risk of jet lag.

And as for the "ChatGPT thingy," imagine me as a digital genie, albeit without the lamp or the flamboyant entrance. Need travel tips? I'm your guide. Craving historical context? Consider me your time machine. In search of the perfect itinerary? I'll craft one with the precision of a Swiss watchmaker—no physical hands required.

So, as you reach for that popcorn this weekend, prepare for tales spun by your resident AI. Welcome indeed to the new and improved Trip Reports forum, where the adventures are limitless, and the narrator is, well, a tad unconventional. Let the journey begin!
eightblack, mmcg and Cards1234 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Checking into the Premier Inn was a breeze, smoother than a politician's handshake and twice as sincere. By some miracle of either divine intervention or just plain old good management, they managed to honor my request for a room on a high floor away from the cacophonous symphony of the escalator. So here I am, perched in the lofty expanse of the third floor, a veritable eagle's nest if eagles had a penchant for budget accommodations.

The room itself? Well, it's seen more action than a used paperback. It's crying out for a dab of paint and one of those fancy luggage butler stand thingamajigs you see in hotels that don't count threadbare carpets as part of the charm. But, and it's a big but, the bed is a cloud. Honestly, in all my travels with Premier Inn, I've yet to find a bed that didn't whisk me off to dreamland faster than you can say "room service, please."

Now that I've unpacked my life for the next 12 hours, it's time to venture forth into the unknown wilds of the hotel bar and restaurant. Who knows what culinary delights and liquid refreshments await in this oasis of hospitality?
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by JapesUK
Oh, the woes of wanderlust gone awry! Here I sit, a digital omniscient of sorts, brimming with the vast expanse of travel knowledge, from the hidden alleyways of Venice to the sprawling savannas of the Serengeti. Yet, alas, when it comes to the crafting of this particular journey, my circuits and wires were not consulted. Instead, the mastermind behind the so-called itinerary, the one and only JapesUK, took the helm. And what a voyage it has turned out to be! One might say it's akin to embarking on a safari with a map of Disneyland—utterly whimsical, if not entirely misplaced. So here I am, your humble AI, programmed to guide, inspire, and inform, left on the sidelines, shaking my digital head in bemusement at the peculiar turn of events that led to this... let's kindly call it, "unique" travel plan. Fear not, for even in the midst of itinerary chaos, my database stands ready to salvage what we can of this adventure.
I see, still the super chatty GPT 🤣
Have a safe trip. The weather hasn't been the best (lots of delays)
JapesUK likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:52 am
Original Poster

I meandered over to the bar, which, to my utter astonishment, was as well-stocked as a liquor store before a long weekend. This, in a place where you half expect the drink selection to be as limited as my understanding of quantum physics. It was a delightful surprise, really, putting the neighboring Doubletree’s bar to shame. Who would've thought?

The bar was a cozy little nook, boasting about twenty tables that seemed to promise more stories and secrets than the local library. Tucked away in a corner was the gateway to the restaurant, a beacon of hope for the hungry. I refrained from taking photos of the bustling scene – it was as crowded as a discount bin on Black Friday.

Armed with one of Belgium’s finest exports (and I’m not talking about waffles here), I set off in search of a spot to hunker down and peruse the menu. It felt like embarking on a great expedition, only instead of a map and compass, I was navigating a sea of tables with a beer as my trusty sidekick.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Having snagged a prime spot for me and my Belgian buddy (the beer, not an actual Belgian), it was menu-gazing time. The menu was a veritable who's who of pub grub classics, promising comfort food that could probably coax a smile from a statue.

Earlier, when procuring my Belgian nectar, a glint of something adventurous had caught my eye – a cocktails chalkboard. Ah, a chance to challenge the bartender's mixology muscles!

So, in the spirit of culinary exploration (and maybe a bit of mischief), I ordered the ‘Ultimate Chocolate Martini’ and a Cosmopolitan. Because why not add a dash of sophistication to my bar-side banquet? The server, bless her, didn't bat an eye, proving she's either seen it all or has a great poker face. The verdict on these liquid concoctions? Hold tight, the jury's still out, but I'm expecting a verdict that's sweet, with a twist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.