A Christmas Escapade, Washington and my first first

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Christmas Escapade, Washington and my first first

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2023, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Its now a little after 3pm and afternoon tea has made an appearance

The chocolate cake comes highly recommended but honestly I dont think I could do it justice. It is, however, a fine excuse to have one last glass of this delicious champagne

Old Dec 23, 2023, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Yay, another JapesUK trip report, with lots of useful info

The DoubleTree NCL is a good option for the early morning flights - on occasion the cash price can go up, but the points seem to stay fixed at 20k. Fratello's definitely better than the bar for starters/ mains - never tried the desserts, and from what you report that's good The restaurant seems to be used quite a lot by local non-fliers (shock, horror!) and we've booked a table since being 'squeezed in' once.

Looking forward to the CCR reporting!
moondog and JapesUK like this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
A few more random pictures of the CCR

Old Dec 23, 2023, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Time to leave this haven of peace and head over or to the C gates. A quick swing past duty free and they have the same promotions as the week before last for the champagne and Baileys cart.

The transit was pretty empty so I jumped onto the train

Arriving at the C gates there were some great views into the airport and over to the C gates where boarding was already underway

Old Dec 23, 2023, 9:34 am
Original Poster

And so to my seat for the next eight hours. Immediate impressions, its incredibly comfortable!

Lots of nooks and crannies to explore and goodies to be investigated

And more of the dangerously delicious champagne

Hot towels distributed and much appreciated as the cabin is very warm.

And, just found out that it is the same crew on my return flight
Old Dec 23, 2023, 9:39 am
Original Poster

The menus for todays flight

Choice overload, time for some thinking
Old Dec 23, 2023, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Refuelling in progress so seatbelt light off for now. A much appreciated top up on the champagne and a little bowl of salted nuts to keep the wolf from the door.

Edit: now 35 minutes late, still on the stand. 2nd champagne top up provided and no sign of us moving any time soon.

Our rather amazing cabin crew member is now coming around asking what we would like to drink after take off two guesses as to my answer

Last edited by JapesUK; Dec 23, 2023 at 10:07 am
Old Dec 23, 2023, 10:32 am
Original Poster

At last we are off the stand and rolling to the runway fully an hour after the scheduled time and, honestly, who cares

Dinner orders have been taken and Ive cheekily asked for double starters if there are any free. Cabin has been cleared, safety checks completed, crew in their seats.

Approaching the runway, Next stop - Washington DC
Old Dec 23, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Nice trip report. Thank you.
JapesUK likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Excited to see your impressions of my city! Enjoy the trip, looking forward to reading along.
JapesUK likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

We eventually departed an hour later than scheduled and once the seatbelt signs were off dinner service commenced with champagne and canapes

The canapes were delicious and once they were cleared the table was laid for dinner

I cheekily asked for the salmon and the tataki starters. The salmon was nice, the tataki was very very good. I also had a tasting of all three white wines.

Next up was the turkey dinner and, as others have reported on flyertalk, this was dry, mostly due to the miserly amount of gravy that comes with the meal

Finished off the meal with the cheese and port, and a couple of rounds of coffee and JW XOrdinaire

Once the table was cleared I settled down to watch the latest transformer film along with a little snooze.

About 90 minutes to landing it was time for the light meal and I skipped the starter and went straight to the burger which was surprisingly moist and tasty.

With 30 minutes to landing they handed out a Christmas gift, this hand painted BA Christmas bauble along with a little box of prestat chocolates

And with that we were on approach to Dulles airport. A very enjoyable trip, excellent crew, and an incredibly comfortable seat. The time flew past, if you’ll excuse the pun.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Quickly off the plane and onto a bus to take us over to passport control. And here we queued, and waited, and waited…..

Despite the relatively short line it took over an hour and a half to clear as there were only two stations manned.

Finally made it land side roughly two hours after arrival and ordered an uber to take me over to the Crowne Plaza

The orange thing on the bed is the contents of an unexpected Amazon parcel that was waiting for me at reception…. a shopping trolley! Its a long story and one for another day.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 3:30 am

Great detailing. Just wondering why you ordered KSML on first leg if you arent a specifically kosher traveler?
JapesUK likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 3:37 am

Enjoyable report so far! I have a decent appetite, but no way could I drink/eat so much is such a short time period. Merry Christmas!
JapesUK likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfbg770
Great detailing. Just wondering why you ordered KSML on first leg if you arent a specifically kosher traveler?
I prefer it to the standard breakfast, especially the cinnamon roll. Ive tried most of the specials at most times of the day and now settled on some favorites. Normally Ill order Hindu or Muslim meals at any other time of day than breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.