2023 Travel Year in Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2023, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador

The end of the year is rapidly approaching and that means it is time for the 2023 Travel Year in Review!

After business travel rebounding for me in 2022, a change in jobs led my 2023 travel to be all for leisure. I'll end the year with 40 flights (39 flown and one left to go) which is less than half of the 87 flown last year. Hopefully I'll see some rebound in the first half of 2024, but with WS93 Jr. arriving at the end of May my year is going to look a lot different regardless.

Looking forward to seeing everyone’s 2023 stats as we head into 2024!

New Countries (2): Belgium, Liechtenstein
New Airports (6): BRU, FCO, MTJ, ZRH, STL, IAD
New Airlines (2): ITA Airways, KLM
New Planes (1): B767-400

Shortest Flight: AUS-IAH, 140 miles
Longest Flight: AUS-AMS, 5,089 Miles

Total Airports: 22
Total Flights: 40
Total Miles: 39,489 Miles

Domestic Map

International Map

2023 Highlights

Skiing in Breckenridge (February 2023)

Turning 30 in Tuscany (July 2023)

Weekend in Telluride (July 2023)

Germany and Switzerland (September 2023)

LSU vs. Arkansas in Baton Rouge (September 2023)

Weekend in Washington DC (December 2023)
Vaclav, SCChris, lamphs and 10 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 6:02 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Thanks for doing this, Wakesetter93!

Wrapped up this year's flying just last week. My travel this year was about 85% leisure, 15% work, and almost entirely domestic (US). Ended up flying more segments this year than ever before, surpassing my previous high of 42 segments set just last year. Some of this was purely circuitous routing, but a segment is a segment, right? One thing I'm particularly pleased about was that I was able to keep my AA upgrade percentage quite high at 72.2% (26 out of 36 eligible segments), even as they double down on first class monetization. Though only around half of my flights were on peak-travel days, this figure nevertheless serves as a nice reminder that elite status is still (somewhat) worth it.

Looking ahead to 2024, this coming year will be very different as far as my travel patterns. I'll be spending the vast majority of the first half of the year in Europe, so a lot of short-haul flying on Iberia and BA is in my future. One perk of this is that I will be able to achieve BA Silver Status for domestic lounge access, allowing me to drop the Citi Exec Card before my annual fee shoots up to $595 (plus the $175 for three AUs).

At any rate, it was a good year of flying, and I look forward to seeing how everyone's 2023 shaped up!

New Countries (0): N/A
New Airports (7) : ABQ, ONT, PDX, AUS, FLL, SNA, DCA
New Airlines (2): British Airways, United Airlines (believe it or not)
New Planes (0): N/A

Shortest Flight: AUS-DFW, 190 miles
Longest Flight: ORD-LHR, 3,953 miles

Total Airports: 21
Total Flights: 51
Total Miles: 51,867 miles

wakesetter93, JapesUK and s777bg like this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Thanks for doing this, Wakesetter93!
It's my favorite thread of the year! I usually try and get it up around 12/15 but I'm still traveling and in the middle of a big road trip to visit the families this holiday season so it was slightly delayed.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:22 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
This year was quite a year for the books. Thanks for starting this thread Wakesetter93 (though we were chatting in real time through a bit of this so you know the "story" haha).

New Airports (48): ABQ, AGS, AMA, BKG, BPT, BRD, BRL, BRO, CHO, CHS, CID, EAU, ECP, ELP, EUG, FAY, FWA, GEG, GLH, HIB, HRL, HVN, HYS, ILG, INL, JBR, LAN, LCH, LNK, LWB, OWB, PAH, PGA, PIA, PIE, PNS, PSC, PVU, SDF, SHD, SLN, SOW, STS, TBN, TVC, TVF, VCT, VRB
New Airlines (4): Avelo Airlines, Breeze Airways, Northern/New Pacific Airlines, Red Way (Op by GlobalX)
New Planes (3-4): ATR-42, A321neo, Technam P2012, Uber SUV (I say this as Cape Air put me in an Uber in lieu of a flight 3 times, but I got FF credit)

Shortest Flight: EAU-MSP, 85 miles, Sun Country B737-800
Longest Flight: JFK-LAX, 2,472 miles, JetBlue Mint A321
Flights That Got Me Involved in a Nebraska State Audit Investigation: 1

Total Airports: 98
Total Flights: 274 (3 pending 12/31)
Total Miles: 128,452 Miles

Next year already has Hawaii (my 50th and final state) on the books on Hawaiian's inaugural 787 from the mainland, and the UA Island Hopper booked to GUM from there.

An assortment of this year's flying highlights...

"Dinner" in First Class on New Pacific Airlines inaugural BNA-ONT

UA A321neo inaugural IAH-ORD (and I took the "original" inaugural 2 weeks later to PHX)

Ride out to Show Low, Arizona

Southern produces very nice destination pictures/art all over its system.

Inaugural Avelo Airlines flight from ILG (Wilmington, DE)

Inaugural Breeze Airways flight from Vero Beach, FL (to BDL... VRB hasn't had airline service other than some spotty third tier CRJ stuff in decades)

Arriving to CHS on Spirit's first flight

"Smoking or non?" made me do a double take

Thief River Falls, MN

LNK-MCO, Red Way Airlines inaugural flight

Jonesboro, AR

UA Inflight Training

CEO of Contour Airlines making remarks and then serving champagne and other beverages on his airline's inaugural flight from Owensboro, KY (to ORD)

The brand new terminal in Paducah, a long time coming

Branson, MO

BOS

First Brightline train from Orlando to Miami

MSL, a regular haunt for my charity work in Northern Alabama
Vaclav, offerendum, lamphs and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXPax
This year was quite a year for the books. Thanks for starting this thread Wakesetter93 (though we were chatting in real time through a bit of this so you know the "story" haha).
we did have the chance to chat a ton this year and I always enjoy seeing your travels on Instagram. Seeing it all here in one post makes me realize just how insane it all was!

Only think I don’t know the story on is how you got pulled into a state audit investigation
Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:42 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
we did have the chance to chat a ton this year and I always enjoy seeing your travels on Instagram. Seeing it all here in one post makes me realize just how insane it all was!

Only think I don’t know the story on is how you got pulled into a state audit investigation
And likewise! Commiserating on way too early flights.

So Red Way Airlines, which ran from June 8th until just about the end of August when it abruptly shut down, was somewhat funded by some covid relief money given to the City of Lincoln (that's a broad brush missing a lot of finer points, but this is the Bob Ross treatment). When they started ticket sales, they never charged cards. I, and others, kept contacting them asking when they would actually take our money. Only took a month. When they shut down, and had to give refunds to those tickets sold but not flown, they didn't have enough money to do so. The problem is that on this type of charter arrangement the ticket money is required to be held in escrow until the passenger flies. Oops. Well, I flew and I for some reason in August got a full refund (3 months after my flight). Others I know were in the same boat. Would explain where the money went... I loved the question (this is all public record, or will be... the 85 page audit report came out in the last two weeks) on can I be sure that I did actually fly on them. "Well, I have a photo of me and the Mayor of Lincoln standing on the airplane in Orlando. How's that?"
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by JAXPax

New Airports (48): ABQ, AGS, AMA, BKG, BPT, BRD, BRL, BRO, CHO, CHS, CID, EAU, ECP, ELP, EUG, FAY, FWA, GEG, GLH, HIB, HRL, HVN, HYS, ILG, INL, JBR, LAN, LCH, LNK, LWB, OWB, PAH, PGA, PIA, PIE, PNS, PSC, PVU, SDF, SHD, SLN, SOW, STS, TBN, TVC, TVF, VCT, VRB
New Airlines (4): Avelo Airlines, Breeze Airways, Northern/New Pacific Airlines, Red Way (Op by GlobalX)
New Planes (3-4): ATR-42, A321neo, Technam P2012, Uber SUV (I say this as Cape Air put me in an Uber in lieu of a flight 3 times, but I got FF credit)

Shortest Flight: EAU-MSP, 85 miles, Sun Country B737-800
Longest Flight: JFK-LAX, 2,472 miles, JetBlue Mint A321
Flights That Got Me Involved in a Nebraska State Audit Investigation: 1

Total Airports: 98
Total Flights: 274 (3 pending 12/31)
Total Miles: 128,452 Miles

Next year already has Hawaii (my 50th and final state) on the books on Hawaiian's inaugural 787 from the mainland, and the UA Island Hopper booked to GUM from there.
What a year! 48 new airports...that is something. Funny to see ILG here. That airport 15 minutes from me, and I'd absolutely kill for AA service out of there (although it would never happen).
Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Somehow, I logged less miles than 2020. I guess it's a byproduct of my new position and other life changes.

New Countries (0 technically): Bermuda (Sort of?)
New Airports (3): LFT, MLU, EDI
New Airlines (0): None
New Planes (0): None

Shortest Flight: DUB-EDI, 210 miles
Longest Flight: IAD-DUB, 3,404 Miles

Total Airports: 20
Total Flights: 57
Total Miles: 33,366 Miles
lamphs, wakesetter93 and JapesUK like this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
What a year! 48 new airports...that is something. Funny to see ILG here. That airport 15 minutes from me, and I'd absolutely kill for AA service out of there (although it would never happen).
I wouldn't give someone a cupcake to get AA service started.
benjahman likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Another busy year of work travel mainly hopping around Europe, with excursions to the middle east and India - although not quite at the level of covid rebound year 2022. Highlight no doubt my first long haul business class experience - lowlight the brutal 2 am departure out of DEL back to LHR - in economy.

Also a quite productive year for new airports and airlines.

# segments: 115 (+1 still pending)
Distance: 121625 km (75590 miles)
New airports (10):: SIN, KUL, SGN, HYD, JED, GOA, LIS, KSC, LNZ, JOE
New airlines (6): VN, SQ, TP, 6E, SV, AZ (in ITA reincarnation)

A few choice photos:

Cold crisp north in Joensuu, Finland (March).

Contrast between old and new in Singapore (May)

A gorgeous Danube sunset in Bratislava (September)

Accidentally on the first ever commercial flight of this lovely retro liveried 787 (September)

Above the clouds in Warsaw (October)

Stockholm really is pretty from the sky (November)
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold

41 flights
95,000 BIS miles
new countries: Egypt, Mauritius
new airlines: Egypt Air, Air Mauritius
new airpors: CAI, LXR, MRU

missed flight: 1
JapesUK likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:46 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

My stats for 2023 - felt like I flew much more, but actually much less compared to pre-Covid years.

Total flights: 90 (+2 in a weeks time)
New Airports: JED, CUN, SFJ, GOH, INV (end of the year)
New Airlines: Saudia, AirGreenland (hightlight of the year)

Off to the next travel year, 2024! So far it is looking quite packed for 1st half.

Cheers!
dkeng and JapesUK like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:01 am

Programs: Some more than others
After one business trip from 3/15/2020 to 12/31/2022 that aspect picked up a bit. Otherwise domestic leisure travel and four cruises (two were back-to-back). Next year seems to promise more business travel and two trips booked (Egypt and the top of Norway), we'll see if work and world events gets in the way. Hopefully more football too visiting some of our new Big Ten rivals.

New Countries (6): Brazil, Turkey, Oman, UAE, India, Sri Lanka
New Airports (6): ORF, AEP, IGR, IGU, GRU, MAO, SDU, GIG, IST
New Airlines (2): Aerolineas Argentina, Turkish
New Planes (1): A350-900

Shortest Flight: IAD-ORF, 157 miles
Longest Flight: SIN-LAX, 8,770 Miles

Total Airports: 27
Total Flights: 51
Total Miles: 73,269 Miles

Days at Sea: 43
Approximate Miles Traveled: 13,000

Domestic

International

Iguazu Falls, Brazil

Through the Suez Canal (ft. USS Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Hotel View in Singapore

Sunset in Muscat, Oman

Ditching Tank at DL Training Center

Last edited by SCChris; Dec 21, 2023 at 9:36 am
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Only started logging flight in March when I returned to being flown around for fun. everything is leisure, business only takes me up and down the UK train lines . Lots of eastern Europe in 2023, more western/southern Europe next year.

Far too many highlights across the year but the one place I will definitely be returning to in the summer is Wroclow for a proper multi-day dwarf hunt!

offerendum, dkeng, s777bg and 1 others like this.

Last edited by JapesUK; Dec 21, 2023 at 9:50 am
Old Dec 21, 2023, 12:18 pm

New Countries (3): Morocco, Qatar, Cambodia
New Airports (5): CMN, DOH, REP, GEG, FUK (hehehe)
New Airlines (4): Turkish, Royal Air Maroc, Qatar, Bangkok Air
New Planes (2): ATR 72, 737 Max 9

Shortest Flight: BKK-REP, 207 miles
Longest Flight: DOH-SEA, 7,406 Miles

Total Airports: 16
Total Flights: 23
Total Miles: 57,319
Total Hours: 126.5

Biggest surprise TK IST-CMN had one of their Aeroflot A350s. Awesome hard product.

February: Skiing the Atlas Mountains, my 7th continent. Snow was perfect and much better than anticipated.

Local porter up to point with sufficient snow to put skis on.

Favorite meal on flight: QR chicken katsu burger

April: Angkor Wat

Fuji in October, we were the only people out hiking.

December: Rented a Porsche Cayman S for a day at VIR (Virginia International Raceway). First time driving a car at full speed on track since 2012. So much fun.

Last edited by skitraveler; Dec 23, 2023 at 1:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.