Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SKYBOSS and other adventures in Thailand and Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2023, 9:44 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by ewh9
We had a 6 pm reservation for Hibana by Koki, a one Michelin star teppanyaki restaurant. Koki is located in the basement of the Capella Hanoi. The concept contains Hibana, a separate restaurant, Izakaya, and a bar, Akio.

I believe that Hibana does two seatings per evening, at 6 and 8:30 pm. I made our reservation the day before. There are about twenty seats around the teppan, but only one other party of two joined us. So, we had our own server and chef.

After we were seated, the chef proudly displayed the filet of beef that we would be consuming later that evening, as well as a certificate attesting to its provenance. The steak cooked for much of the meal, moving from low to high heat before being finished on the charcoal grill.

The meal was incredible--creatively designed and precisely executed, and the chef's craft was on full display. I don't like seafood, but my horizons were expanded by several of the courses. The steak was the best that I have ever had.

I liked the menu cards that were changed with each course. The dessert was served in an adjoining lounge area (presumably so that diners don't linger around the grill). It was a truly memorable meal. My only critique is that the wine selection was pretty boring.

The cost was 5.5 million VND per person for the normal tasting menu, or about $220. This is obviously extremely expensive for Vietnam, but many of the ingredients were imported from Japan. I thought it was well worth the cost.

After we finished dessert, we stopped by the bar. This was an outstanding experience. We were the only guests at the bar. My first drink was made with melon infused whiskey. The bartender then recommended the second drink, which was gin-based and accompanied by a wasabi crema. Between those drinks, he gave us an absinthe palate cleanser. He also gave us a pour of a Sampan dark rum, which was not for sale. When I expressed my admiration for that rum, he made me the smoothest daiquiri I have ever had using a Sampan white rum.

After dinner, we stopped by "Beer Street." I saw beer advertised for as little as 10,000 VND (about 25 cents). Advocates for the various beer companies, dressed head to toe in brand apparel, roam the bars and attempt to persuade new customers to choose their product. We ordered two 30,000 VND Hanoi beers, more for the experience than that we wanted to drink them. I sipped on mine for about 20 minutes while we observed the street, and then we were ready to return to the hotel.

Famous street to eat on.
I was outside a cafe...100's of people eating up/down the street outside the many cafes then POLICE is a jeep started to drive down street. Viet restaurant workers forced everyone into cafe grabbing beer, food, screaming POLICE.

Police slowly drove down street did nothing then teh 100"s of people eating outside sat down drinking beer and eating.

Hilarious. It's illegal to drink US soldiers were held there. Very harsh prison interior.k alcohol outside the restaurants.

Excellent pictures and good trip report, thanks.
I need to got SEA- HAN or SGN......maybe Feb 24'' and have 400k AA miles.
So seeking more ideas.

Hope you go to see the French Prison in Hanoi..amazing where French held North Vietnamese then during US invasion of Vietnam t
Harper50505 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by euromannn
Famous street to eat on.
I was outside a cafe...100's of people eating up/down the street outside the many cafes then POLICE is a jeep started to drive down street.

Excellent pictures and good trip report, thanks.
I need to got SEA- HAN or SGN......maybe Feb 24'' and have 400k AA miles.
So seeking more ideas.
t
Thanks. Thankfully, we did not have any police encounters. We got these tickets last December, so almost 9 months in advance. I didn't see any availability on JAL or Cathay at the time and wanted to lock something in, so I was happy to pay the additional 40k miles each way. I hope you are able to find award availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.