Wiki Posts
Search

Alaskan Adventure - Air Canada, United, Alaskan in Y and J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2023, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Alaskan Adventure - Air Canada, United, Alaskan in Y and J

I was asked to head up to Fairbanks, Alaska for a few days for a work conference in preparation for a big activity early next year. This is my second trip to Alaska and I thought this time I would do a bit of a trip report.

I had never been to Fairbanks before and I have to say, it is an outstanding place. Now, I get that this is September and not December (I do have to go back then) but it was a really nice place to spend some time. I have tried to include both pictures and videos. If you have any questions just let me know.

Before you laugh at my routing, just understand that the system that my company uses to book flights is not a great one. The routing below was the cheapest and had the benefit of allowing me to use some of my E Upgrade points on Air Canada for the first portion of the flight.

The itenerary booked was as follows:

YEG - YVR - Air Canada in Economy
YVR - ANC - Air Canada in Economy
ANC - FAI - Alaska Airlines in Economy

FAI - ORD - United in Economy
ORD - DEN - United in Economy
DEN - YEG - United in Economy

Now thankfully by using a combination of paid upgrades and E Upgrade points I only ended up flying one of those legs in Economy (thankfully the shortest one). I will say that the cost to upgrade flights on United which move you into a higher fare class and thus give you more points is outstaning as of late. For just about $600 USD I was able to upgrade over 12 hours of flying across the US. More to follow on that in the report below.

My wife was kind enough to get up early and drive me to the airport. The drive down was completely uneventful. I was not checking a bag on the way down so I stopped at a kiosk to print out my boarding passes and then headed straight through security. Edmonton has recently changed over security screening in Edmonton and those with a NEXUS card no longer have to take any items out of their bags. This meant that I was through security in less than a minute and is a great change. Highly worth it to get a NEXUS card for travel now.

I headed up to the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge. My flight from Edmonton to Vancouver had cleared into business class via an E Upgrade 2 days before. The lounge was not that busy and I grabbed a seat with a view down onto the promenade. They had the standard breakfast offerings out. I opted for a small danish (or two) and a few coffees from the machine. While the lounge is not overly large there was ample seating for the people that were there.

Some light breakfast offerings in the Lounge:

The view from my seat in the lounge:

I had not left a ton of time so before long it was time to head down to the gate for boarding.

AC 237
Airbus A319
Edmonton to Vancouver
Planned: 0730 - 0809
Actual: 0728 - 0811
Business Class

As mentioned my E Upgrade had cleared a few days before the flight. In the end the flight ended up going out with 3 empty seats in Business class. There was a water waiting for me at my seat when I landed and as luck would have it the seat next to me wound up being empty for the short flight down to Vancouver.

Water at the seat:

Plenty of leg room at this seat:

Air Canada's legacy IFE, but all I used it for was the map:

The boarding door was closed on time and I had a chance to snap a few pics while still at the gate and during the very short taxi out to the runway.

Westjet 737 Max at the gate next to us. The new livery on Westjet is really nice:

An Air Canada Airbus A321 getting ready to head out to Toronto:

Air North 737:

A Flair Airlines 737 Max parked:

A Westjet Encore Q400 coming in to land just before our take off.

We lined up quickly for take off and then were on our way.

The crew quickly sprung into action and we were offered drinks and a breakfast.

I was really impressed with the meal for such a short flight. I think I have had the omelette like 100 times, but it was still good and filled me up.

Start of the Rockies:

Full on Rockies:

BC sure is a beautiful place, when it's not on fire:

We parked quickly and deboarding was super fast. All in all a great flight with an upgrade that didnt cost me anything.

Next up, Air Canada Boeing 737 Max to Anchorage.
Coathanger, lamphs, Vaclav and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

I had quite a long layover in Vancouver so made my way to the Maple Leaf lounge.

I was informed upon arrival that they now have a 3 hour max rule but as we were connecting there was no issues coming in. I had met a friend heading up to the same meetings and brought him into the lounge as my guest. We found a spot in the back and settled in for an almost 5 hour layover.

A nice view from the lounge. My wife and I have a night long layover in December and I wonder how much that Fairmont costs?

Some more airplane views:

Some soup and salad. I could have ate 3 plates of the pasta salad it was so good.

About an hour before the flight was due to leave my E Upgrade for the next flight cleared and I was assigned a window seat for the flight to Anchorage. I celebrated with a Rye and Diet coke before we headed down to the gate.

We arrived at the gate just as boarding started and I was the fourth person to get on the plane.

AC 1081
Boeing 737 Max 8
Vancouver to Anchorage
Planned: 1320 - 1541
Actual: 1322 - 1525
Business Class

Economy on this flight was completely full but business was still showing as two seats empty. This is not my first time flying business on the 737 Max but I am still impressed with how nice it feels. The new cabins on the 737 and A220 are certainly a jump above what is offered on the legacy product. I hope AC will start retrofitting their older A321s to match this new great product.

Lots of leg room for this 3 hour flight:

The IFE screen is nice and big and there is tonnes on offer to watch:

Another 737 Max next door to our gate. I have to admit when I heard that Air Canada had bought these I was not the biggest fan, but in the end I think they have turned out to be a good purchase. They are a pleasure to fly on.

Todays Menu options for the flight up north:

And the drink options:

The gate agent came on shortly before the cabin door closed to tell the FA that 3C was a no show (the seat next to mine) so for the second time today I did not have a seat mate. Cabin door was quickly closed and we pushed back for our flight to Anchorage.

A busy departures ramp from the US gates today:

A United 737 Max heading somewhere south:

A couple aircraft shortly heading back to Asia. I have never flown on either of these carriers. I used United the two times I went to Hong Kong and ANA to go to Japan. Though South Korea is most certainly on the list of places I would like to go.

Take off was quick and we angled out to the east before turning North over Vancouver. As I said before, BC sure is a nice place.

If it were not for the housing prices this is probably where we would chose to retire. But unless I win the lottery, even with the great salary I have right now Vancouver is not in the cards. I do not understand how people can afford to live here.

The Captain idicated that it was going to be a bit of a rough ride all the way up to Anchorage and he was not kidding. There was lots of bumps all the way but thankfully nothing too severe.

Shortly after take off warmed nuts were handed out.

And the first of a few sparkling wines

I went with the chicken option for lunch. It was a solid 6 out of 10. Not outstanding but not horrible either. The sauce had a bit of a kick to it and I actually enjoyed the olives in it. The chicken was just meh. Not sure it was the best quality but it was ok. I loved the pearl pasta underneath. That with the sauce was outstanding and in fact had it not had any chicken on it it probably would have been even better. The salad was the normal salad that Air Canada has had for ages, and the carrot cake was really good. I could have eaten 2 more of those for sure.

I spent the rest of the flight watching a Lord of the Rings movie and the flight passed by very quickly. Soon we were approaching Anchorage and had started our descent. It was a cloudy day as we approached Anchorage.

Lots of snow in the mountains already but thankfully none on the ground yet.

All in all not a bad flight. Having two seats to myself, some decent food, good drinks and a very nice IFE screen made this 3 hour flight very enjoyable. Next up, a long layover in Anchorage before the flight up north to Fairbanks.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

We had a nearly 4 hour scheduled layover Anchorage before the short hop up to Fairbanks. However we wandered over to the gate of an earlier departure to see if it would be possible to get onboard. We were told the flight was full but the wonderful gate agent put us on standby just in case.

The boarding agent announced final call so we thought that was that and started to pack up to go and grab some dinner instead bu then our names were called out. Turns out 2 people didn't show up for their flight so we got on. We were travelling with carry on only (roller bag and backpack each) so I was a bit worried about finding space when we got on board but there was a lots of overhead bin space left and once again I snagged a set of 2 seats all to myself.

AS 2406
Embraer ERJ 175
Anchorage to Fairbanks
Planned: 1645 - 1743
Actual: 1645 - 1740
Economy Class

The pic below is a bit blurry but the sheer number of Cargo aircraft in Ahchorage is amazing. While I was there at least 3 or 4 came and went.

A great shot of an Atlas Air Boeing 747 cargo going past us as the engines were starting up.

A decent amount of legroom on this flight.

The 737 we came in on heading back down to Vancouver. I think these flights stop shortly as the tourist season is coming to an end. This will make my next trip up here in December much more difficult. Also in this picture is a 737 without winglets. You dont see that very often anymore. This one is an Alaska 737-900.

My job involves working with C-130 aircraft a fair amount but I wasn't even aware that there was a civilian operator of the type. This one looks great painted all white.

Alaska is a beautiful place, but I haven't been there in the winter yet. Maybe my opinion might change slightly when the cold weather hits. They came around during the flight to offer coffee or water. Given that the flight time is only 35 minutes this is completely understandable.

Another shot a few minutes before touch down in Fairbanks

This was shortly after landing as we were taxing in. Look at all the aircraft they have parked there. An all white Avro RJ, a C46 and a few DC-4s. Later on in the trip I would head back to the airport to try and get a closer look at some of these old aircraft.

At least some of these still seem operational. If I could do it all over again, that is what I would do. They are absolutely gorgeous.

All in all not bad at all. This was my first time flying Alaska and it will not be the last. They are also doing a status match right now with Aeroplan so I think I will put in for that before I have to take a few flights with them in December.

Next up, my time in Fairbanks!
Old Sep 17, 2023, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

We were staying at the Hampton Inn by Hilton in Fairbanks. What can I say, it was clean and had a decent gym. I think of the hotels I saw in town it was one of the nicer ones.

The bear outfront is a nice touch

Forgot to take a picture of the room before I laid in the bed.

The work schedule on this trip was actually quite busy so other than going out to eat there was not a lot of exploring to be done.

I took pictures of the best places we ate.

First up was the Banks Alehouse. I went with a Local sour to start. It was pretty good.

This was the BBQ Brisket meal. I had low expectations as I have high standards for BBQ but this did not dissapoint. It was really good, very juicy and almost had a BBQ sauce glaze on it. It also came with Mac N Cheese and a mini french onion soup. It was an outstanding meal.

Next up was my favourite restaurant of the trip. East Ramp Wood Fire Pizza. Not only were the views outstanding but the pizza was out of this world good. This was the view from our table.

No fences or gates. You can walk out and among the aircraft to take pictures.

Some clearly had not moved in a while but several aircraft came and went as we were eating.

This was my pizza, cheese, mushrooms, pancetta onions and bacon. It was so good. I actually went back here my last night to eat again but it was a 2 hour wait for a table. Glad I got in once.

This was my friends pizza. It was the special of the day, the Alitalia.

Some more shots as we wandered out to the car.

We drove down to North Pole (maybe not the one you are thinking of) for some Thai food. Apparently they have the best Thai food in Alaska. It was outstanding. I had the Masamum curry and it was easily as good as the food I had in Thailand. The restaurant was Thai Cuisine and I definetly reccomend.

We went for a beer at the North Pole Alehouse. They have about 30 beers on tap and pool tables. We played pool and had a few beers before heading back up to Fairbanks. Definetly a good time.

Our last night in town we went to the Pump House. It was just good food. And the decor was amazing. Definetly the first Alaskan restaurant that we ate in that felt like I was eating in Alaska.

Lots of old furnishings and decorations around.

The bear was easily 9 feet tall.

I had the seafood pasta with Shrimp, clams and scallops. One friend had reindeer steak and they looked really good to. A must hit if you are in town.

And last (and maybe least) was a milkshake at Sonics. We do not have sonics in Canada so I stop when I get the chance.

All in all a good food experience in Fairbanks. There are still a few more that I will hit up in December when I am back in town.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 2:39 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Great report! Looks like Air Canada is putting together a nice product on the short haul.

Question at Vancouver: For the connection to a US-bound flight, is there a short-cut to US preclearance or do you have to go back outside and reenter like local passenger?
Old Sep 17, 2023, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

All good things must come to an end and before long it was time to head out to the airport for the trip home.

I left a bit early so I could tour around and see if it was possible to get a closer look at some of the older aircraft parked around. They have most of them hidden but I managed to take a few more pics. There are old aircraft everywhere around this airport. I think these all belonged to Everett Air Cargo.

Not even sure what this one is.

I dropped the rental 4Runner off with Hertz and went to the united counter to check my bag in as I had bought a bottle of rum from Costco for my wife. Checkin took about 10 minutes eventhough there were not many people in line. They just seemed kind of slow.

Now, before we get into the flights a bit of a story. The entire trip was booked in Economy (W Class). I am in the hunt to up my status with Air Canada so checked when the ticket was bought about paying to upgrade seats knowing that in addition to a much nicer ride this also equals many more points as your fare class changes. I checked and the prices were rediculous, like I mean nuts. Fairbanks to Chicago was $1200 USD for a 6 hour flight. I like extra points but not that much. Then about 3 days before departure all of the prices dropped drastically. In the end I paid to upgrade all 3 flights and in the end it cost me $625 USD for all three. The flights equal almost 12 hours in the air so at the end of the day in my books that is a good deal. Just shows, you need to check everyday if you want something as the prices fluctuated rapidly. And when the price does change, book it or lose it.

Security was a breeze with TSA precheck and I was through in less than a minute.

United 737 Max 9 arriving in from Chicago

UA 398
Boeing 737 Max 9
Fairbanks to Chicago
Planned: 2122 - 0617
Actual 2116 - 0616
Business Class

My first time on a United 737 Max. The IFE is outstanding. World class really. But the seat itself felt a bit firm to me.

A decent amount of legroom but it was not a huge amount by any means.

A pre departure beverage of sparkling wine or water was offered. I of course took the wine.

Boarding door closed and for the first time on this trip I had someone sitting next to me. A very nice main heading home to Maine with a 40 minute connection in Chicago. I hope he made it.

It was dark by the time we took off so chances for pictures were limited.

This was the best meal I had onboard a flight during this trip hands down. It was a BBQ chicken breast on rice. I could have eaten a whole other plate of it, it was that good. The fruit salad in a cup was a bit weird but the bun was delicious, although it did not come with any butter. I matched it with a class of perrier. It was also my first pie in the sky. It was really good.

I quickly fell asleep after that and managed to get in 3 or 4 hours of sleep. My seat mate said at one point he looked over and was jealous of my ability to sleep. I credit it to ear plugs and an eye mask. With those I can sleep almost anywhere.

We arrived into a still dard Chicago and I managed to snap a pic as we pulled up to the gate.

I had a roughly two hour connection time and made my way over to Terminal C and the newly redesigned United Club. As I was travelling international (Canada) during the trip the club was open to me with a business class ticket.

I visited the new club in Newark back in June on another trip and I really like them. The food selection is great and it is a very nice place to spend a few hours. I started with a bagel with egg and cheese, some sausage and a cappuccino.

Followed by some orange / cranberry juice and some fresh fruit.

I sat at a table that conveniently had a very nice view of my next ride to Denver departing out of Gate C16. At least it would not be a long walk when it was time to board.

UA 2700
Boeing 777-200
Chicago - Denver
Planned: 0845 - 1030
Actual 0844 - 1016

Boarding was thru group 1 and I think I was fifrth or sixth onboard. This flight was completely full. I think there were 20 people on the standby list and 90 on the upgrade list. Found my rearward facing seat (a first for me) in the third row for this 2.5 hour flight over to Denver.

This is my first time in this style of United Seat. I have been in a Polaris seat a few times to Asia on the 777-300ER but never on a 200 model. I know some people complain about them but I found the seat to be really comfortable. It was easy to spend time travelling around this way.

Nothing but space for my legs, and when the seat is reclined a bit it is really comfortable.

The 4 across in the center however did not seem all that appealing. I think I would avoid those if I could.

Pre departure beverages were offered again. Why not have another glass of wine right?

Chicago is a busy place. Nothing but aircraft moving around.

Once we were up in the air I turned on some Star Wars and went with a Mismosa. Why not right?

And here is where things get a bit sad. This was by far the worst meal I had during the trip. Ricotta stuffed crepe or something like that. It was just plain horrible. Even the pilot for United sitting next to me was shocked at how bad it was. It was the only meal offered. They should really get rid of this, it is garbage. I washed it down with a few more mimosas to make things seem better. That certainly helped.

Before long we were landing into a very sunny Denver.

All in all it was a decent flight that was really let down by the food quality. But in the end I only paid $160 for the upgrade and that got me into the lounge and 1500 miles instead of the 300 I was going to get which is one step closer to a higher status. Next up, the final flight up to Edmonton.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXPax
Great report! Looks like Air Canada is putting together a nice product on the short haul.

Question at Vancouver: For the connection to a US-bound flight, is there a short-cut to US preclearance or do you have to go back outside and reenter like local passenger?
There is a shortcut. I would say clearing US customs took me about 10 minutes or so. You do have to go thru security again, but there was no one in line. Then you talk to a lovely US Customs guy. The longer part is the walk there. Seems to go on forever.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

I only had a one hour connection time but I still wanted to check out the lounge real quick. There really was not much of a point. It was packed and very much under construction. I grabbed a quick glass of water and then headed down to the new B gates at the far end of the terminal. There are some great views along the way.

So many United planes

I found the little grab and go lounge along the way. What an outstanding idea this is. Air Canada has something similar in Toronto (Air Canada Cafe). I grabbed a salad, some drinks and another pie in the sky cookie and then kept heading ot my gate.

Nothing but ERJ parking

And lots of CRJ parking too!

My ride up to Edmonton recently arrived from Salt Lake City.

Boarding started exactly ontime and I was second onboard the aircraft.

UA 5440
Embraer ERJ-175
Denver - Edmonton
Planned: 1131 - 1430
Actual: 1129 - 1425

Lots of space on the left hand side single row of seats.

A nice aircraft but the small bins on the left are a bit of a pain.

Lunch was an option of a ham and cheese sandwich or a cheese tray. I went with the cheese and it was actually really good. I wasn't crazy hungry but it hit the spot. The grapes and salad were a nice touch and dipping the cheese in the dressing was yummy. I matched it with a bloody mary (well thats what I asked for but I just got Tomato juice). I then had a few whiskey and gingerales which helped the flight go by very quickly.

Coming in to a still smoky Edmonton

Once we landed and parked it was a fairly long walk from gate 84 to the customs hall. Customs was a breeze with nexus and after a 20 minute wait for my bags I was out to my wife waiitng outside to take us home. All in all not a bad trip. And the best part, not a single delayed flight across three different airlines spanning nearly 7500 miles of travel in the air.
Vaclav, SCChris, moondog and 9 others like this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Looks like a fun trip, and great photos from Alaska. The trees look like they were full on changing colors - so definitely a sign of the fall and upcoming winter months! It's always hard to think of that after such a nice warm summer. . Food on Air Canada looks quite good!
Old Sep 21, 2023, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 757
Looks like a fun trip, and great photos from Alaska. The trees look like they were full on changing colors - so definitely a sign of the fall and upcoming winter months! It's always hard to think of that after such a nice warm summer. . Food on Air Canada looks quite good!
Yeah fall was most certainly in the air while in Fairbanks.

The food on Air Canada was a solid middle of the road. Nothing was unedible but nothing was outstanding.

United was the direct opposite, one outstanding, one middle of the road and one big flop.

I am looking forward to seeing the difference when I go back in December.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:27 pm

Using the tail number, that plane appears to be a Fairchild C-119G Flying Boxcar manufactured in 1953. Originally military over 1,100 were built.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by viewfromthewindowseat
Using the tail number, that plane appears to be a Fairchild C-119G Flying Boxcar manufactured in 1953. Originally military over 1,100 were built.
There were so many old aircraft there. I could have spent hours wandering around taking pics. I just need someone to give me access to the gated areas. Time to make some friends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.