A Budapest long weekend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Budapest long weekend

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
I’ve gone for what is far too much food, three meze plus a main course but having had nothing but a langosh in the last 10 hours we will see.

offerendum and lamphs like this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
A ‘little’ amuse bouche of zaatar bread!

And this excellent Chardonnay

offerendum, lamphs and Harper50505 like this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

We have the spicy potatoes, hummus with meat, and kibbeh, plus some pita bread

This could be a challenge even before the mains arrive!
offerendum and Harper50505 like this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

And the schwarma

all of the dishes were very good. The spicy potatoes were very spicy and made a great foil for the grilled beef. The Kibbeh would be the one dish that disappointed slightly, and only because it needed a sauce. It was perfectly cooked and spiced but fell apart and you ended up chasing ground beef around the plate where a sauce would have tied it all together.

Very reasonably priced, with a beer and two glasses of wine the total bill came in well short of £50.

It now 11pm and just finishing off another glass of the excellent Chardonnay before heading to bed. A lazy start tomorrow as I don’t need to leave the hotel until close to noon
offerendum, lamphs, Toula and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

A dark and moody photo to close the day because for some reason the phone has decided that this is bright enough and no flash required. In any event, a Remy Martin XO and an americano will see the night out nicely
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:27 am
Original Poster

A reasonable but not great nights sleep due to a very noisy air conditioner. Fiddle with the controls as I might I could not get it to shut down. Around 2am I got up to see if there was an idiots guide to the seemingly simple but ineffective controls, and then I noticed a second controller in the bedroom almost completely hidden by the TV! Silence ensued but return to sleep took a while.

This morning is once again gray and overcast but there are occasional breaks in the cloud so maybe a little sun is on the way for my final few hours

The breakfast offering in the lounge is identical to that at the weekend so it is time to settle in with a coffee and watch the world go by.
offerendum, lamphs and Harper50505 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:55 am
Original Poster

This morning there will just be enough time for a little retail therapy before my airport transfer. There was a very interesting chocolate shop that was closed when I passed by yesterday, and I also want to have a longer wander up past the chain bridge.
lamphs and Harper50505 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Chocolate acquired, bags packed, just time for a quick coffee before my airport pickup. Next stop, Budapest airport.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Quickly through the airport, security was empty, passport control likewise, and up into the lounge all in under 15 minutes.

Departure board is currently showing the flight as on time but I’m getting all sorts of doom and gloom updates from flightly and TripIt so expecting that to change
lamphs likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Very nice observation deck up at the lounge level

I must admit that my heart sank a little bit when I saw that it was a plaza premium lounge but I’ve been very pleasantly surprised

offerendum, lamphs, Toula and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Oh well, more lounge time 😆

lamphs and Harper50505 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Spent the last couple of hours in the lounge chatting to a lovely Spanish lady about anything and everything.

15:20 local time, we’re all onboard and the plane is buttoned up but now are having to remain on stand for 10 minutes. Starting to get a little nervous about meeting my next flight given that I need to transit to T5 so may have to get my hustle on.

Seat 1F, clear skies, hoping for some good photos as we clear Budapest.
moondog, lamphs and Harper50505 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 8:15 am

Thank you - I've really enjoyed reading this excellent report. I think it's time for another visit to Budapest, the last time we went, we flew with Malev!
JapesUK likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 10:17 am
Original Poster

And we’ve landed, roughly 40 minutes late. At a remote stand with the buses waiting for us! BA taketh, BA giveth back, my LHR-NCL flight is also delayed 40 minutes so now no need to hustle to get to T5.

Cabin crew were great this flight, and service was faultless. Still trying all the various special meals, I had opted for the Muslim meal and it’s the best meal I have had in CE so far. The curry had just the right amount of heat… I’ll be ordering that one again

Old Sep 25, 2023, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Harper50505
Thank you - I've really enjoyed reading this excellent report. I think it's time for another visit to Budapest, the last time we went, we flew with Malev!
Thanks! Really enjoying doing them. Definitely should have Budapest on the list, absolutely amazing city!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.