Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Budapest long weekend

A Budapest long weekend

Old Sep 23, 2023, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
The views from the river have been outstanding and if you, dear reader, are ever in Budapest I recommend it as a pleasant way to pass and hour

M
Old Sep 23, 2023, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
After a sedate ten minute stroll Iím back at the intercontinental for a nightcap. Chatting to the doorman on entry he tells me that occupancy is constantly above 97% so the hotel never really sleeps.

unfortunately all of the food service has finished so it is a coin toss on room service or an early night and a big breakfast Ö time will tell. And on that note it is time to enjoy a nightcap and head for the suite. Next stopÖ breakfast!
Vaclav, offerendum, lamphs and 4 others like this.

Last edited by JapesUK; Sep 23, 2023 at 3:25 pm
Old Sep 24, 2023, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Last night the munchies won and i ordered a club sandwich which arrived a bit beige on beige, but was tastier than it looked.

I am happy to report that the bed is incredibly comfortable. A solid eight hours sleep has set me up for the day. The shower in the room is nothing special, a hand held extension from the bath taps, but the water pressure is immense, clearly pumped, and at full open will wake you up nicely! Its a shame thereís not a waterfall shower because with that water pressure it would be amazing.

The weather this morning is not looking great, clearly it has been raining recently and it is dull and overcast

still a fabulous view from the room, rain or not

The forecast for the rest of the day is more of the same so I may be getting a little damp, we shall see.

My first tour is not until 10:30 so Iíve a couple of hours to spare, time for breakfast and a little explore of the hotel
Vaclav, lamphs and Harper50505 like this.

Last edited by JapesUK; Sep 24, 2023 at 12:50 am
Old Sep 24, 2023, 12:48 am
Original Poster

The lounge offers a very substantial breakfast spread and eggs of your choice available to order

I like these little A frame flip over cards celebrating all things Hungarian that are scattered around

Vaclav, offerendum, lamphs and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Pancakes and bacon devoured before pictured

Some pictures of the lounge whilst it is quiet

Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:30 am
Original Poster

And here we go, my transport for the next three hours

offerendum, lamphs, Toula and 1 others like this.

Last edited by JapesUK; Sep 24, 2023 at 3:36 am
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Or not 😆

Tour is delayed until 2:30 due to the rain and so it is time for a bit of follow your nose navigation and rain shower dodging

Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:33 am
Original Poster

A quick pit stop back at the hotel, as my wandering led me almost to the front door. A little time to dry out before heading along the river past the chain bridge

Iíve quickly realised that you need to keep your eyes open, there is art absolutely everywhere and not always obvious, such as this tiny bronze poodle on the wall close to the hotel, and this little painted stone that has been left on top of another bronze

Old Sep 24, 2023, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Unsurprisingly pretty empty streets. Hardly scratched the surface today, definitely a city I will return to next year.

Old Sep 24, 2023, 8:23 am
Original Poster

The joy of a Segway tour is the amount of distance you cover, the disadvantage being itís fleeting, but does set you up for what to return to later

Handsome chap

Parliament

Russian liberation monument

Shoes

offerendum, lamphs, Toula and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Far too much chattering means the Segway tour has run straight back to back with the ruin bar tour, so itís beer oíclock
lamphs likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:47 am
Original Poster

complete fail to photo the first beers, I was obviously thirsty! Now into the Ďfig barí and a very nice dark beer

Old Sep 24, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
Great photo report. I've always had Budapest on my list to visit someday but your report has encouraged me to make it happen sooner rather than later.
JapesUK likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toula
Great photo report. I've always had Budapest on my list to visit someday but your report has encouraged me to make it happen sooner rather than later.
It is a stunning city and I will definitely return next year for a longer visit
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

After a small beer and a Unicum it was time to head back to the hotel for food. There are loads of great looking restaurants on the way back but I have some food and beverage credit and itís a shame to waste it, plus the Lebanese restaurant is very highly rated.
offerendum, lamphs and Harper50505 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.