Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: Flying on the Delta A220 SEA PDX Main Cabin (Economy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2022, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist

Background
As part of a big picture goal to experience different airlines/ cabins and help a wider audience with navigating airline travel I decided to sample Delta’s (DL) A220 on a short hop between PDX - SEA. This trip report will also serve as a dry run (for both the video content, trip report) before I get into more exciting flights I’ve taken like HNL - CLT in flagship business. Any feedback is welcome!
I’m getting ahead of myself. Due to some life changes I couldn’t do something very extravagant like a trip to Europe so I settled on a Labor Day weekend run to Portland.

For a video version

Flight info
Airline: Delta Air Lines
Flight No: DL 2273
Seat Number: 16A
Cabin: Main Cabin (Economy)
Route: SEA to PDX
Plane: A220-300
Elite status: None on DL
Checked baggage: None
Duration: 26 Mins Flight time (source: Flightradar24)
Departure Scheduled: 11:30 pm
Departure Actual: 12:15 (push back from the gate)
Arrival scheduled: 12:17 am
Arrival actual: 12:59 am
All times in Pacific time zone

Booking
As you would expect from a big established US airline the booking process was simple and easy.

Day of Travel
Thankfully the commute to the airport was easy because the flight was late enough in the day when less cars are on the road. I had been keeping my eye out on this flight and realized it would be delayed. Sure enough it was.

Before Boarding:

I went to the Delta sky club lounge to get some food since everything would be closed by the time I landed in Portland.
Delta skyclub was empty

Boarding

Boarding began a bit delayed due to the inbound arriving late from Phoenix airport.

Flight
We pushed back as this prime air plane arrived

Seattle airport didn’t have much traffic at this time so we were on our way into the air

Seat
The A220 is laid out in a 2-3 configuration. The seat and width were very comfortable. I had was seated on the left hand side. After riding 737s it was nice to be in that configuration.
Delta also has personal TVs on board they were on for the flight.

Service
Due to the short duration of the flight there was no service and wifi was disabled. The A220 usually comes equipped with WIFI.

Sightseeing
Since it was dark outside there wasn’t much to see and before long we were on initial descent into Portland.

Arrival
We arrived at the gate about 40 mins behind schedule. However since Portland, (PDX) is a small airport we had a very quick taxi to the gate from the runway.

Conclusion:
I evaluate flights differently than other trip reporters/bloggers. I tend to focus on the pros and cons for each flight instead of a numerical scale.

Pros:
  • Above average DL staff (I tend to find DL staff to be less authentic for a lack of a better word than other airlines)
  • Nice modern cabin really liked it
  • Above average seat width 20.6' First class /18.6' Main / Comfort Plus 18.6'
  • personal TVS only a few airlines have them in the US

Cons:
  • No wifi due to the short flight
  • no service in main cabin due to short flight
  • The 40 min delay no reason was given

Would I fly Delta on this route again?
Depending on the flight schedule and price, yes.
However if Alaska’s Q400 would be in service I find they have the best flights as they used to do a full service. The Q400s will be retired in 2023.
Thank you for reading or watching! I will be posting more trip reports in the future. My next report will be over Breeze Airways. Will try to release it next week
lamphs, kenko92 and offerendum like this.

Last edited by Nerdkatravel; Nov 6, 2022 at 12:20 pm Reason: Seat width pitch correction
Old Nov 6, 2022, 5:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Enjoyed the detailed write up.

I’m not sure what makes any airline’s staff, or any customer facing position, “authentic” as there’s a substantial degree of acting necessary speaking from personal experience when I was in such a role eons ago. But I tend to find Delta’s employees to be the most helpful and friendly compared to other U.S. airlines, authenticity aside.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dat4life
Enjoyed the detailed write up.

I’m not sure what makes any airline’s staff, or any customer facing position, “authentic” as there’s a substantial degree of acting necessary speaking from personal experience when I was in such a role eons ago. But I tend to find Delta’s employees to be the most helpful and friendly compared to other U.S. airlines, authenticity aside.
thank you!
Fair point
What I mean authentic is some of delta staff acts robotic or not wanting to be there. I hope that makes sense!
Glad to see you enjoyed the TR! Many more to come!
dat4life likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.