Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic 787 across the Atlantic - my favourite European Airline!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: OneWorld

After years of flying the likes of British Airways, Lufthansa and Air France Long haul I finally managed to get on Virgin Atlantic. My flight today takes me from London Heathrow's Terminal 3 to Seattle. The VS105 service is operated by a 787-9 all year round.

Before the flight:
One of the best features in my opinion is that any Economy Passenger can reserve a seat while booking the flight, this however only applies to the last few rows in the rear of the aircraft. Additionally, I reserved my meals online. Virgin Atlantic have a range of options and are in my experience the best in Europe in this aspect. I have dietary requirements and hence cannot consume items which contain eggs but no issues with that on this flight.

Airport Experience:
Virgin Atlantic operates from Terminal 3 at London Heathrow. Regarding baggage drop: only Economy Classic and Delight fare holders can check their bags in, while the cheapest fares don't have this option. That is a shame, we don't to see the day where all Airlines charge for bags, seats etc on Transatlantic flights. Delta does it so perhaps, that's why we see it on Virgin Atlantic as well...

The Cabin: Virgin Atlantic really have created something different here, from the mood lighting to the boarding music. Personally, I love the choice of colours and design. The seats are super comfortable, while the headrests are adjustable. Before reaching the seat pillows, blankets and headphones can only be found. Regarding Headphones, they probably are the best in Economy Class and if I'm right, the same ones used by Qantas in Business? Don't quote me on that. Most importantly, the legroom is beyond average as well.

Catering: The first thing you can instantly notice is the menu card, which is handed out to all passengers and even in Economy Class. They are handed out by Singapore Airlines as well but aside from that I wasn't aware that anyone else did it. The first full meal was served immediately after departure, followed by Ice cream 3/4 hours into the flight and finally, a pre arrival snack. This contained yogurt, fruits and cookies, however I did notice that for other Economy passengers a wrap was served (I have dietary restrictions). The meals themselves were tasty and trust me, that is something I don't say very often in the air, especially in Economy.

Service: The crew did their job, no complaints but it was nothing over the top. Drinks were served were regularly, once in an hour or so.

Now to get the full experience, please do make sure to watch my Youtube Video. This you will find is in much more depth and hopefully explains things better

More about my channel: I'm 17 years and have already visited 45 countries. It's based on Flight Reports and my goal is to try out as many airlines as possible, hope you join the journey!
Loose Cannon likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:32 am

I finally got to flying Virgin after waiting for about 30 years to do so. I was so excited to fly on a Dreamliner but for my luck the equipment was changed to an Airbus 330! LOL. Yes it's great that one can book the seat at time of booking. The crew were fantastic. The food not bad. But the breakfast; a granola bar awful. You are only 17 and have already visited 45 countries. At your age I had only visited about 10. Hopefully you will have many more years left to do so. Will look at the video. Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Glad you enjoyed your trip.

I've never heard economy seats on a 787 described as 'super comfortable' before!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
thanks for posting the nice report!

What's the delta in price between Y and PE? That Prem economy looked nice.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I finally got to flying Virgin after waiting for about 30 years to do so. I was so excited to fly on a Dreamliner but for my luck the equipment was changed to an Airbus 330! LOL. Yes it's great that one can book the seat at time of booking. The crew were fantastic. The food not bad. But the breakfast; a granola bar awful. You are only 17 and have already visited 45 countries. At your age I had only visited about 10. Hopefully you will have many more years left to do so. Will look at the video. Thanks.
Haha, I’ve been looking to fly Virgin Atlantic over the last 5 years but yes, nothing matches being swapped to the ‘Dirty thirty’. Travelling really is fantastic, love all the adventures that come along with it. Thanks 👍
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrpete
Glad you enjoyed your trip.

I've never heard economy seats on a 787 described as 'super comfortable' before!
Thanks for the positive comment. Haha, probably didn’t use the best words there :P
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:22 pm

Thanks for sharing this report. I flew the a340 recently, so your views on the 787 are interesting.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 1:15 am

What changed post-pandemic?

"The first thing you can instantly notice is the menu card, which is handed out to all passengers and even in Economy Class".

I recently did LHR-SFX. My first Virgin Atlantic flight. Agree with almost everything OP said but puzzled about the food.

I was in Economy Delight. No menu card was ever seen. Instead staff called out the 2 choices in a loud mumble as they dished out down the aisle. I usually avoid meat unless it's cooked at home so I took the 'Macacheese'. Which turned out to be a gooey mess of flour and cheese. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed this 'comfort food', but was there really so little choice? 5 hours later... Toasted cheese sandwiches! Won't someone think of my cholesterol levels?

So on the return journey I went for the chicken curry which was delicious.

Should I travel VA again I'd like vegetable curry. Do I have to perform some online gyrations during the booking process to get that simple option?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.