2020 Travels: Self-Drive Across Namibia + Ethiopian Airlines Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Travels: Self-Drive Across Namibia + Ethiopian Airlines Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold
AJ, can you tell me how the covid testing for your trip went? How many days before boarding the ET flight did you get the test and results? How did it go for getting the covid test needed before leaving WDH? Where did you have it done?

I am not sure about the timing of the covid test before arrival in Namibia, I know it is to be 72 hours, but is that based on arrival time to Namibia or departure of your flight. I have 20 hours travel time from Chicago to Windhoek and want to get the timing of my test correct so ET won't deny me boarding.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Originally Posted by susiesan
AJ, can you tell me how the covid testing for your trip went? How many days before boarding the ET flight did you get the test and results? How did it go for getting the covid test needed before leaving WDH? Where did you have it done?
I got my covid test about 55 hours before my departure from Stockholm; 65 hours before my departure from Addis; 70.5hr before my arrival in Namibia. It was very ambiguous as to whether the test needed to be done 72hr before departure or arrival. The tour operator I used actually advised me it was 72hr between when the results were received and arrival, but I wouldn't trust that. Best to follow up with your operator...also I believe they've changed the requirement to 7 days now.

I was not required to get another test in Namibia before my return, however was informed that www.pathcarenamibia.com offer them in Windhoek.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan 100K BA executive club, IC/platinum/RA
In a word...WOW!!! I really enjoyed your journey. Thank you.
Old May 9, 2021, 6:37 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks for the fantastic report and evocative photos. We drove from one end of Namibia to the other back in '98/'99 - and despite having visited 68 other countries since then I still rate it as probably in my top 5. Such a spectacular place. We found it exceptionally safe and friendly, however I'm sure COVID-related impoverishment is creating a lot of desperation and deprivation.

Thank you for sharing!
Old May 9, 2021, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by useless
In a word...WOW!!! I really enjoyed your journey. Thank you.
Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Thanks for the fantastic report and evocative photos. We drove from one end of Namibia to the other back in '98/'99 - and despite having visited 68 other countries since then I still rate it as probably in my top 5. Such a spectacular place. We found it exceptionally safe and friendly, however I'm sure COVID-related impoverishment is creating a lot of desperation and deprivation.

Thank you for sharing!
Thank you very much! Must have been quite the journey back then; I'm guessing it wasn't as easy to navigate around the country as it is now. Life is definitely not easy for a lot of Namibians at the moment...hopefully things will improve as tourism picks up again.
mad_atta likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 4:05 am

Thanks for amazing report, really enjoyed as other folks here. How amazing photos and detailed explanation..
I think since the internatonal flights are very selective for its passengers, maybe that's why the flight attendants seem carefree, b/c all the passengeres were required to get full vaccinated and positive test results... etc.
Old May 11, 2021, 6:47 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AJ747M
Must have been quite the journey back then; I'm guessing it wasn't as easy to navigate around the country as it is now. Life is definitely not easy for a lot of Namibians at the moment...hopefully things will improve as tourism picks up again.
Actually, it was amazingly easy. We were travelling in a 10+ year old VW Jetta, though for much of the time in convoy with friends in a Land Rover (which we joined them in for the drive into Sossussvlei, but we did game drives around Etosha in our little 2WD VW with no problems). As I recall the roads in Namibia were excellent, both the sealed highways and the endless super-wide gravel roads too. We sped everywhere with impunity. And with so very few roads it was almost impossible to get lost! I remember being so struck by the emptiness and the ethereal beauty of the place.

Unlike you, I really enjoyed Swakopmund, where we went duneboarding and ate pesudo-Germanic food and had a great time. Etosha was of course extraordinary for wildlife spotting, just awash with life. Other highlights were Fish River Canyon, the ghost town of Kolmanskop near Luderitz, and of course the Namib desert itself and all the lonely drives through it. I have some photos lurking somewhere, if I can find them I'll post a few
Old May 13, 2021, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Echika
Thanks for amazing report, really enjoyed as other folks here. How amazing photos and detailed explanation..
I think since the internatonal flights are very selective for its passengers, maybe that's why the flight attendants seem carefree, b/c all the passengeres were required to get full vaccinated and positive test results... etc.
Thank you! Yep, when I went on this trip I think practically everyone would have required a negative test before the flight.

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Actually, it was amazingly easy. We were travelling in a 10+ year old VW Jetta, though for much of the time in convoy with friends in a Land Rover (which we joined them in for the drive into Sossussvlei, but we did game drives around Etosha in our little 2WD VW with no problems). As I recall the roads in Namibia were excellent, both the sealed highways and the endless super-wide gravel roads too. We sped everywhere with impunity. And with so very few roads it was almost impossible to get lost! I remember being so struck by the emptiness and the ethereal beauty of the place.

Unlike you, I really enjoyed Swakopmund, where we went duneboarding and ate pesudo-Germanic food and had a great time. Etosha was of course extraordinary for wildlife spotting, just awash with life. Other highlights were Fish River Canyon, the ghost town of Kolmanskop near Luderitz, and of course the Namib desert itself and all the lonely drives through it. I have some photos lurking somewhere, if I can find them I'll post a few
Ha! Awesome. And in a little Jetta too! I think I would have enjoyed my stay at Swakopmund a bit more if I organized some adventure activities. Fish River Canyon and Kolmanskop will have to be on my next trip down there

Would be awesome to see some pictures if you get a hold of them.
mad_atta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.