Inspriging to see!
Thanks for sharing!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by henhen
Awesome review and what an experience.
The photos turned out amazing.
Might I ask what kinda of frame/lens you used? Any special settings to get the colors so vibrant?
Most of my dslr photos from trips turn out rather dull, not popping with color despite the subject being colorful
Thanks! I shoot with a Canon 6D Mk II with the kit 24-105 f4 and my wide angle 16-35 f4. I post-process everything in Lightroom with mostly minor touchups, nothing crazy. Camera settings: I shoot everything in raw with no in-camera kind of processing, I leave that for Lightroom.

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Now I want to visit Iraq for spring break. How to convince the wife?
Tell her you're in Phoenix?

Originally Posted by SFO777
Wow. What an adventure and what an amazing trip. Some very nice scenery and the food looks really good. Thanks ChiefNWA.
Thanks! You can't go wrong with a kebab and some tea!

Originally Posted by lds89
Absolutely incredible pictures and trip. Love all the kebabs, and looks like some really beautiful scenery - Erbil also looks very pretty and not at all what I would've expected in that part of the world.
The scenery is indeed very beautiful, something I never really expected in Iraq until I started researching the trip.

Originally Posted by kcmd
Awesome TR and great to give folks a look at a region of world that is unfortunately jaded through mainstream media.
Thank you! Kurdistan is certainly in a better position than the rest of the country in terms of security, but the western media rarely portrays the two as separate.

Originally Posted by Madone59
ChiefNWA this trip report is absolutely inspiring. There is no other word for it. The photography and journey are fantastic. Thank you for taking the time to post and share.
Thank you, glad to contribute as always!

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
What a fantastic read, truly beautiful photos.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by flylonghaul
Thanks for posting!
Fantastic report and photos.
I would very much like to see Kurdistan at some point in the next few years.
Thank you! I firmly believe that if Kurdistan was independent and void of the Iraq name, it would be a much larger tourist destination than it is now. The natural beauty and friendliness of the people make it very appealing.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zip10001
Fantastic trip report. You’ve got balls to visit Iraq under the current political instability of the region.
Lol thanks. The situation was a tad better in October when I was in Iraq. I'd probably second guess the trip if I were going right now but that doesn't mean that feeling wouldn't change in the coming weeks as the situation hopefully improves.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
wow. absolutely amazing pictures, thanks for sharing.
Thanks, anytime.

Originally Posted by 757
As usual, an amazing report and photos. Looks like an incredible trip! My best friend lives there, and it's great to see so many photos of the place where he and his wife live!
Thanks, glad to share!

Originally Posted by mtofell
Wow... great pictures and information. It's very enlightening to see a firsthand report rather than something filtered through news media or similar. Thanks for sharing!!
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to accomplish with this trip report.

Originally Posted by choklit
This report brought back a lot of memories. Especially the aerial views, as we used to fly all over Iraq in the C-130. I remember the first time we went to Sulaymaniyah. It felt like we were in Germany or somewhere like that, due to the snow. I know the media paints that area of the world in a different light, but there really is some beauty over there.

Once again, a fantastic trip report!
Thanks! Rekan does a lot of hiking and had a ton of pictures of hiking up the mountains in the snow there and the views looked quite incredible.

Originally Posted by eneq
EDIT: I failed at reading comprehension.

Awesome stuff, man!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
Thank you for posting. I've been curious about traveling to Kurdistan though that would freak out my family. Your pictures make it look like a destination well worth visiting.
I've got a trick for you, especially if your family and friends are a bit geographically challenged; tell them you're going to Kurdistan. They won't blink an eye lol.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Wonderful pictures and reporting!
Thank you!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by threecap
Thanks for the recap and photos - looks like a beautiful place and a great trip.
Thanks, it is indeed.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Fascinating Report^
Thank you!

Originally Posted by LondonElite
What a fantastic TR! I'm surprised by the vibrant colour of the countryside and the appearance of normality in the area. Your photography is outstanding.
Thanks! Erbil certainly felt like a normal and secure city.

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Absolutely incredible!!
Your timing was so spot on with the latest issues in the region, but then again, that is the joy of travelling. One cannot predict from one day to the next what is going to happen. Looking forward to the next instalment of your adventures.
Thanks, you're right about that. I was pretty close to pulling out when Trump announced the Syria withdrawal (3 days before I departed) because I was worried the conflict would spill into Iraqi Kurdistan. Anything can happen, you just gotta monitor the situation as it unfolds

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Shame no-one can visit anymore due to whats happening atm.
Shame indeed. There's nothing stopping people, but I'd probably give it some time for things to settle down a bit.

Originally Posted by JustGo
WOW!
Thanks.
Wow indeed, it was a great trip! Thanks

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Quite an amazing adventure to the land that is not on my bucket list. Certainly get a new impression of Erbil from your report. Thank you. Safe travel.
Thanks! It's not somewhere I had on my bucket list for the longest time, but sometimes it's the places you'd least expect that outshine your expectations.

Originally Posted by lamphs
Fantastic report! I've toyed with a trip to this part of the world. Your report certainly convinces me that I should more strongly consider it.
Thanks, I certainly would, though maybe give it a few weeks for tensions to hopefully die down.

Originally Posted by T8191
Somewhere I would never consider going in a million years, for numerous reasons.

However, this excellent TR has given me an insight that differs so much from what one might call “Public perception”, and for that I’m very grateful. I need to up the game with my TRs, clearly!!
Thanks. I dealt with the "public perception" with friends and family when I was planning it. Needless to say, they were quite shocked when they didn't see mounds of rubble and ISIS flags all over the place (minus the one in the museum of course) in the pictures. That's the result of the media coverage of the region we have in the US.

Originally Posted by 1P
As others have said, amazing, fascinating, extraordinary TR, Chief ! You are certainly not lacking in courage. I kept wondering what happened at all the mosques that you "couldn't get into". Were you violently ejected? How did you handle communicating in Kurdish? Or does everyone speak English too?
Thanks, but Kurdistan is a little 'beginner' I feel. I started getting some quotes on guides/drivers for some more 'courageous' locations for this year. < If anyone reading this has any contacts in Kabul, PM me! >
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flybranchen
Absolutely fascinating. Thank you very much for documenting this trip here!
Thanks, glad you enjoyed.

Originally Posted by view
Thank you for sharing this adventure.
Of course!

Originally Posted by gdam22
Made my day to read this report. Thanks for posting!
Glad to have made your day!

Originally Posted by P.B.
Fantastic report and really changed my perspective
thanks for posting
Happy to help!

Originally Posted by akhibhag
Impressive trip report. Makes me want to go!
That's how it all started with me...

Originally Posted by our_kid
Thank you for a great TR - I’ve heard good things about Erbil and you’ve really brought it to life
I had as well, it certainly met and exceeded expectations.

Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour
Thanks for compiling this report. I had no idea that area of the country was so beautiful, it looks amazing.
I never knew for the longest time either. Sometimes it's the places you'd least expect!

Originally Posted by dat4life
Awesome report! I think you might have planted a little seed in my mind for a little side jaunt during a work trio to the region later this year.
If you go, post some pictures

Originally Posted by DanielW
A great visit to the Iraqi Kurdistan, ChiefNWA.

A bummer to hear you need a visa now to visit Mosul.

Sad to hear the IDP camps are now full again after the US abandoned the Kurds to the Turks in Northern Syria. Must have been unsettling to hear the Turkish drones above too.
Originally Posted by Jalen500
Fantastic
Thanks, DanielW! It is indeed sad that the camps are once again full, hopefully Iraq and Kurdistan can free itself of all the conflict one day.
It was a tad unsettling especially when Rekan said they bomb the area all of the time targetting the PKK hiding in the mountains... As we were in a tent in the mountains...
I believe US citizens have always needed a visa for Mosul as it's not part of Iraqi Kurdistan, but I could be wrong. Rekan said he could easily have gotten me in if I had more time, though I'm not sure of how that would've gone over.

Originally Posted by vn33
Inspriging to see!
Thanks for sharing!
Of course!
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: QFF, Velocity.
Amazing. Thank you.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:47 pm

Incredible pics, sounds like an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing!
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Tell her you're in Phoenix?

Well she's pretty excited to visit the new Centurion lounge in PHX, so that could work.

I wonder how good the cocktails taste at BGW?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jakeau
Amazing. Thank you.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Berrisfo
Incredible pics, sounds like an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing!
Indeed it was. Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.