TRIP REPORT: The big Europe (via Africa) trip 2019- TL, QF, JQ, BA, IB, VY, LM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TRIP REPORT: The big Europe (via Africa) trip 2019- TL, QF, JQ, BA, IB, VY, LM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Problem solved!

where are you now, Mrs. Pants?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by T8191
Problem solved!

where are you now, Mrs. Pants?
I am in Pokhara having (I .... you not) fallen off the side of a mountain and broken my ankle

week in Bali to recover and catch up on trip reporting coming up 😉
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants
I am in Pokhara having (I .... you not) fallen off the side of a mountain and broken my ankle

week in Bali to recover and catch up on trip reporting coming up ��
OMG! Get well soon, Lady ... we need this TR

You tempted fate with your comment a week or so ago ...

I must apologise at this stage, i’m off in the morning to die in an avalanche/be in a plane crash trek up to Annapurna so the pace will slow potentially to a stop over the next few days!!
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:40 am
Original Poster

OMG! Get well soon, Lady ... we need this TR

You tempted fate with your comment a week or so ago ...
I shouldn’t hold out much hope for my next Cessna flight with 3rd tier NT GA operator then 😉😉😉
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels

week in Bali to recover and catch up on trip reporting coming up 😉
Noooooo!!!!!

Good grief, as we would say in local South African parlance: "Nee Fok Marelize".

Hope that you recover well, and take care of that ankle. I did mine in years ago, and it still causes havoc with me every now and then.

Look forward to your next episode.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:41 am

I don’t entirely understand it myself but my understanding is it’s yet another legitimate symbol that has been taken up by another group and acquired a different meaning- seems to be a fairly common thing for Holy Week across spain

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capirote
Thank you. I learnt something new today

Great trip report so far, and sorry to hear about your broken ankle!

From one Aussie to another, safe travels back home.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:52 am
Original Poster

9th-11th July
Bilbao

Had a minor panic at Malaga due to the lateness of Vueling. I was booked to stay at Basque Boutique (BasqueBoutique | Hotel en Bilbao, País Vasco | Basque Boutique), which is something of a virtual hotel with no front desk etc. Of course I had not read my emails properly and had discovered that you are supposed to email them at least 48 hours before for access codes, which of course I had not done, and that they stop answering emails and phone calls at 8pm. Happily they replied to my panic stricken email promptly so I was all set

Minor disadvantage that the taxi had to drop me off about a block away as the old town streets are pedestrianised but I suppose you can't have it all

I had the double room immediately to the left of the sometime reception desk:

Online reviews complained about noise levels from the street outside. I'll concede there was a bit but nothing that kept me awake. This was however a midweek stay and it's possible that weekends may be worse?

There was a private bathroom with shower. I was unsure what to make of this signage:

There was a common area with coffee making facilities but no tea and nothing along those lines in the room

I headed out for a wander around the old town:

Eventually settling for dinner at one of the pintxos bars in the Plaza Barria

I wasn't really sure what to choose and was feeling strangely antisocial so asked the waiter to bring me a selection, which worked well
They had Kalimotxo on the menu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalimotxo), but even after asking about 5 times he adamantly refused to bring me any as apparently it's "disgusting", so I ended up with txakoli (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Txakoli) instead and now will need to go and buy red plonk and coke in order to sample the Basque cultural icon

For desert, he still didn't want to bring me the Kalimotxo, and wasn't especially keen to serve me Carolina cake either (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_(pastry)) but eventually relented on that point. I ended up drinking something called "Orujo de hierbas" instead which was pretty rank

Mildly sozzled, I made my way back to the hotel via a corner shop with the intention of buying some red wine and coke, but the only had the red wine in larger quantities than I would like so I abandoned that plan

The next morning it was time for a pleasant stroll along the river to the Guggenheim

Tell me this shouldn't be BilboBusgins??

I had originally planned to take in the Guggenheim but since my interest is primarily the architecture of the building rather than the art itself, I balked at paying an exorbitant amount for admission and instead had breakfast there

In the afternoon I took in a couple of Basque cultural centres, which mainly left me more confused than I was before
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azkuna_Zentroa
https://www.euskal-museoa.eus/es/informazioa/non_gaude

Phillipe Starck designed Azkuna Zentroa cultural centre

Euskal Museoa

Wandering back I made my way to the Artxanda funicular, because it's not really a European holiday if there isn't a funicular railway involved

View from the Mirador

At this stage I realised, as is so often the case in my life, that I had ....ed up. I was intending to visit Grua Carola and also the Vizcaya bridge, but had failed to spot that, while the bridge runs all night, the touristic viewing deck closes at 8pm. I also didn't really want to be walking through an industrial part of town by myself at night so hot footed it via tram and then train post haste

Grua Carola

Vizcaya transporter bridge

The metro ride back gave an opportunity to check out Norman Foster's designs for the subway entrances

And a final chance to see the magnificent Guggenheim at sunset/dusk

11th July 2019
BA2685
BIO-LGW
1055-1150
11F

It was a fairly early start for me to beat the traffic and spend a bit of time checking out the airport, which architecture buffs amongst you will know is another Santiago Calatrava designed piece

Note strike protest banners in background

The Bilbao airport strikes were scheduled for 7th, 14th and 15th of July so once again I missed out- just!

As always I forgot to pay much attention to the lounge, although the view of the building from it was rather good

Boarding was unusual- down some stairs, through immigration (with priority boarding groups invited to push in front of the general line- nice!!) and onto buses
Furthermore it appears I flew G-MIDO and lived to tell the tale

This was my first time flying BA ET since BOB so very little comment on the service to be made. I had an empty seat next to me and an exit row so not a lot to complain about. We also landed on time!

I had snorted to myself when the lady at Bilbao check in put the priority tag on my bag and of course this time was no exception- my bag was one of the last onto the carousel
The queue for Avis pick ups was also a total zoo, with a very "computer says no" lady who was doing nothing but only prepared to make an effort if i was Avis preferred (I'm not)
But eventually I was on my way and onto the M23 (side note: how is there not a civil war in the UK at the moment??)- I was astonished how bad the traffic was, given it was mid week and outside rush hour, the trip to Hampshire took about 4 hours!!

However the river Itchen was as always lovely

A pleasant few days were spent spotting planes at my brother's house in West London and catching up with various friends

some lost Canadians
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Wow thanks for this latest post - yet another place in Europe I need to add to my list. Bilbao looks amazing!
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Wow thanks for this latest post - yet another place in Europe I need to add to my list. Bilbao looks amazing!
Yes I went for the Guggenheim and was a little sad I didn’t have enough time to take in some more of Basque Country. The crossing things off the bucket list is a little difficult when you end up adding a bunch of places back on 😉
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:08 am
Original Poster

16th July 2019
For reasons too boring to really get into, today commenced with a drive to Heathrow terminal 3 to drop off a suitcase, the tube back into Angel for lunch with brother and future Mrs-brother, return trip to Heathrow, drive to Gatters to drop off the car, train ride to Deptford for dinner with a mate and then return to Gatwick for overnight stay
I did spot some cute Concorde artwork in the underground that I had not seen before

Due to an early flight the next morning I was booked into the Bloc hotel at Gatwick South terminal. Given I'd be arriving after dark and departing early as well I didn't bother for anything more than a windowless double
I had a hell of a time finding it, probably not helped by being tired and having spent most of the day either on London transport or the M25. However the ladies on reception were utterly delightful
The room best described as functional but the bed was certainly comfortable. I did like the ease of climate and lighting control and ultimately had a decent night's sleep

17th July 2019
BA2956
LGW-GLA
0715-0845
Airbus A319 seat 10A

I am not a morning person and despite having slept reasonably well, having to be up at 5am is not a recipe for nancy to be in a good mood
I wandered off to Club check in with the intention to hot foot it through the process and get a coffee PDQ
Those who know gatwick well will perhaps understand the not that great differentiation between first and club check in
Anyway, there I was minding my own business when a highly stressed woman started advancing her way through the queue. Her flight was ages away but there was some story about a disabled husband and needing to get a boarding pass reprinted or some such. Aware I was not that long on time I politely declined to allow her in front of me as I was pushing it as was and her flight was a couple of hours after mine. She was not impressed by this and there was lots of tutting and when a desk became available at first check in she was quite adamant I should be elbowing my way over there in spite of the rather lengthy first class queue (I think she thought it was my first time in a queue or possibly my first in an airport). I restrained myself but honestly lady, calm the .... down!!

Happily we were both soon on our way. I never saw her in the lounge so I'm not even sure what on earth was going on but nowt so queer as folk i suppose

I took this photo which demonstrates the marvellous plane spotting opportunities of the LGW Galleries lounge, and I suppose now is rather a historic image

Boarding was unremarkable and we pushed back slightly early, leading to an arrival 15 minutes ahead of schedule

I think this is on approach to GLA but equally it could be LGW- if someone could let me know and I'll relabel it as appropriate!!

17th July 2019
LM451
GLA-BRR
1015-1130
Loganair DHC-6 Twin Otter
Seat 2A

The Loganair flight was on a separate ticket but baggage collection and recheck went off without a hitch

I had remembered to leave a reasonable gap between flights which gave me a bit of time to wander the GLA terminal. There's not a huge amount I miss about the UK but Tunnock's caramel wafers is one of them so I was very happy with the many reminders of their existence in the terminal, as well as the freebies

There was also an opportunity to look at some rare and exotic planes, including our ride to Barra

Loving the Saltire livery

Presumably one of the ex-BMI regional jets awaiting re-livery?

Noted...

A plane that does not wish to be associated with FlyBe

1015 came and went and most of us waiting either got a text message or an email advising the flight was delayed for a short period of time. At this point a catering trolley full of Tunnocks caramel wafers appeared- I feel this should be formally added to EU261, passenger's own body weight of caramel wafers as duty of care. Would increase customer happiness remarkably i'm sure

Anyway. The next text/email was one to say the flight was cancelled due to a combination of low cloud and the fact the tide was coming in and the runway was now underwater (a unique set of circumstances if ever there was one). There was a little bit of consternation as a very English man travelling with 2 children evidently didn't have an email or phone number registered with the airline and insisted on taking up the first minutes of us all trying to be rebooked wanting to know why he wasn't notified

Apparently it was the supervisor's first day on the job and she was struggling a little bit with the barrage of questions. We ended up getting meal vouchers which were surprisingly difficult to spend and being asked to come back in an hour, by which time 2 things would have happened: the afternoon flight would also have been cancelled, and she would have a plan

Valid in all shops and restaurants, except for literally every shop landside

As predicted

17th July 2019
LM451
GLA-BRR
1015-1130
Loganair DHC-6 Twin Otter
Seat 2A
nequine likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Ah yes, the dreaded M23, narrow lanes from the Gatwick junction to the M25. Its seems to have been going on for years and is showing no signs of completing any time soon.
I encountered it a couple of weeks ago driving to Heathrow.

I am loving your report, ive never been to Spain, but am putting that right next year. Your pictures have made me realise what I have been missing.

Keep the report going, Seat2A has competition!
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:40 am
Original Poster

17th July
LM409
GLA-BEB
1600-1655
Loganair SAAB 340B
Seat 8C

After returning from "lunch", the plan was formed that we would fly to Benbecula, take a bus to the Sound of Barra ferry onwards to Barra
The locals on the plane were quite used to this although not that thrilled about it
Some of the tourists were a bit put out by it all
I decided to treat it as a wonderful adventure

It didn't dawn on me until later that I had forgotten to ask for a window, but I didn't really feel like it was worth bothering the check in ladies yet again so just went along with it

Of course this left almost 3 hours until departure and I was rapidly running out of planes to spot

Sweet chariot

Shortly after boarding the Captain came out into the cabin to make an announcement- I was prepared for this to be bad news but there didn't seem to be any- on time and with minimal turbulence. Notably, it was an all female team and the Captain appeared to be some kind of Northern European, possibly Danish or Norwegian but definitely not Scottish. She seemed nice and the flight was comfortable so what more could you want?

(EDIT: possibly could have been Estonian based on the NyxAir tie up- although G-LGNF is 100% loganair- is it possible there's some kind of crewing arrangement going on?!)

The in flight service consisted of yet another Tunnock's caramel wafer (can I call this whole Australia thing off and just move to the Scottish highlands?!)

As an aside, these are clearly old planes, but compared to say, REX, I was quite impressed by how they'd obviously made an effort to keep the interior updated and looking fresh. Is it unreasonable to assume this also translates to maintenance of the other components?

Had to make do with the long lens for views on approach

On arrival, again clearly I wasn't sure what to expect but was impressed to find things like clearly marked airport ops cars and seemingly a reasonable size terminal building with a tower. Highly exciting for the Australian

We were met at baggage claim by the Loganair lady who took us out to a waiting minibus

And thus commenced an unexpected and fairly high speed bus tour of Benbecula and the Uists

And before too long we were at Eriskay waiting for CalMac to do their business

The bus made a rather satisfying crunching sound when it was driven off
And just like that, we were on our way

Arriving in Barra I hitched a ride to Castlebay with one of the locals. And there it was, only about 8 hours behind schedule! Hurrah!!

Last edited by nancypants; Oct 23, 2019 at 2:53 am Reason: additional detail about loganair crewing
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More ‘bonza’ from this reader! ^

We’ve just booked our first LGW Bloc night-stop, but we splashed out on a room with window to avoid claustrophobia! The ‘climb-over’ involved with those beds against the wall will make BA CW quite luxurious in comparison!
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Great TR!!!
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

More ‘bonza’ from this reader! ^

We’ve just booked our first LGW Bloc night-stop, but we splashed out on a room with window to avoid claustrophobia! The ‘climb-over’ involved with those beds against the wall will make BA CW quite luxurious in comparison!
Hopefully you’ll find the signage and directions a bit easier than I did!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.