Reload this Page >

TRIP REPORT: The big Europe (via Africa) trip 2019- TL, QF, JQ, BA, IB, VY, LM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TRIP REPORT: The big Europe (via Africa) trip 2019- TL, QF, JQ, BA, IB, VY, LM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:44 pm

I flew on an Iberia Convair 440 around 1964 from Barcelona to Palma. Noticed the picture.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: QF TG
The black gloves on Air Nostrum crew are a throw back to it’s former entity Aviaco crew complaints that the ink off old boarding passes imarked their hands.
Guardia Civil are more serious police than the locals police. Imagine if Aus Federal Police had authority over state laws.
The luggage from Nth Africa flights have a seperate baggage claim to allow random searches of any type of smuggling sourced from Morocco despite a domestic flight.
A great trip report so well written.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by paulkaz
The black gloves on Air Nostrum crew are a throw back to it’s former entity Aviaco crew complaints that the ink off old boarding passes imarked their hands.
Guardia Civil are more serious police than the locals police. Imagine if Aus Federal Police had authority over state laws.
The luggage from Nth Africa flights have a seperate baggage claim to allow random searches of any type of smuggling sourced from Morocco despite a domestic flight.
I spotted them on the flybe Nordic ATR crews as well a couple of years ago- and they definitely looked like they could kill you with one finger but I know VA don’t have them, although that could just be because it doesn’t match the uniform...
Old Oct 5, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I've never subscribed to a thread before and this is my first! Really enjoying this TR.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

I must apologise at this stage, i’m off in the morning to die in an avalanche/be in a plane crash trek up to Annapurna so the pace will slow potentially to a stop over the next few days!!
offerendum, T8191, rapidex and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by nancypants
I must apologise at this stage, i’m off in the morning to die in an avalanche/be in a plane crash trek up to Annapurna so the pace will slow potentially to a stop over the next few days!!
Safe trekking! Awesome trip report and look forward to you finishing.
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Great TR, and I'm looking forward to more! (Catching up on FT after a month - working, unfortunately - in Cyprus)
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by paulkaz
Ceuta and Melilla are not part of the EU customs union anyways. Tobacco and alcohol among others are much cheaper than in mainland Spain and the controls are held to prevent importing those products into mainland EU for resale and profit, Same thing for the Canary islands.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: Meh
Great TR so far - thanks
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:12 am

Sounds wonderful. Nice trip.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 4:47 pm

Wonderful, I've enjoyed every word and you're inspiring me to explore more of the Iberian Peninsula once I move to Lisbon at the end of this month. Subscribed!
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Great trip and report so far. Looking forward to the rest of it (assuming you stop travelling for long enough!).
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:17 pm

Have enjoyed reading this TR - some very far flung and adventurous destinations. Africa has always been our favourite destinations, however.
Agree with you about pyjamas sizes on offer for F pax. Most of our airline pyjamas we collected are either M, L or XL. They never seem to stock S. On a recent BA flight I was stoked when they actually gave me an S size. I do like the latest BA F pyjamas for ladies.
About beef fillet on BA F, having so many complaints about how tough / well done they were, I told a purser I would not like to order it. He said he would make sure it was cooked right. And, it was very nice.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:15 am

Statue

Can someone please explain this statue to me?

Originally Posted by nancypants
8th July 2019

Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveleish
Can someone please explain this statue to me?

I don’t entirely understand it myself but my understanding is it’s yet another legitimate symbol that has been taken up by another group and acquired a different meaning- seems to be a fairly common thing for Holy Week across spain

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capirote
rhwbullhead and T8191 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.