Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurry up, itīs Brexit-time!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Did you watch them change the Horse Guard? They give the horse an almighty whack! I am amazed that some Animal Rights people haven't chained themselves to something in protest!
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Did you watch them change the Horse Guard? They give the horse an almighty whack! I am amazed that some Animal Rights people haven't chained themselves to something in protest!
No, I never watched this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

London: Banqueting House

Banqueting House is a special sight for me in Lodon as I wasnīt able to visit it during 5 visits still I finally saw it during my 6th visit in London. Now I was able to see it again.
Banqueting house is famous for its cover paintings by Rubens and the last remaining part of part of Whitehall Palace.

This picture I took during my last visit:
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

London: Protestors

Itīs pretty clear we were in London during a critical time and Brexit was present all the time. Especially in Westminster we saw many protestors, mostly pro EU:

Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

London: Churchill War Rooms

Our last sightseeing stop for these day were the Churchill War Rooms. They are one of the most popular attractions in London, personally I think they are interesting but no must-see.
From outside:

Inside many parts of the bunker are still in its original state, you can see many parts and imagine how the cabinet lived and worked in it.

22 GBP per person are a high price, with London Pass itīs free.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dinner: Core by Claire Smith London

For this evening I had booked a table at Core by Claire Smith. Claire Smith was in the past chef at Gorden Ramsey at Hospital Road were she was awarded with 3 Michelin stars- I visited in 2012 and really enjoyed my meal.So I was really excited to try her own restaurant Core which received 2 Michelin stars.
The restaurant is located at Notting Hill. We entered the restaurant and were first seated at the bar till our table was ready. As the restaurant was mostly empty this time not really logical. This bar seating seems to be a new trend which I donīt like.
The first restaurant room is split in 2 parts. One is a big table which acts as chefs table. Behind a glass wall is the open kitchen.

The second room is the main dining room which is furnished mainly in white colors. The table were very nicely decorated.

Our meal started with beautiful looking small bites which also tasted very good.

Butter

We decided to take the Core Classic menu (125 GBP) and contained no meat this evening.
Isle of Mull scallop tartare
sea vegetable Consommé

'Cheese and onion'
alliums, aged cheddar and onion broth

‘Potato and roe’
dulse beurre blanc, herring and trout roe

Roasted monkfish
Morecambe bay shrimps, Swiss chard, brown butter

I canīt remember what the following 2 courses were excactly.

‘Core apple’

Pear and verbena
poire Williams sorbet

Petit fours

The meal was really really god, in my eyes the best I had in London this time. Without saying too much About my upcoming meals at Gordon Ramsey and Alain Ducasse I canīt understand the 2 star rating here while the 2 formentioned hold 3 stars. The food at Core was in my eyes simply better. I can absolutely recommend Core, itīs a very good restaurant.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

London: Libertys

Libertys is one of the famous London warehouses and perhaps the most interesting building. The offerings are mostly exclusive, not everything was my taste

Highlight was the Christmas Market in September

Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Oh god- Christmas in September... loving this report Offerendum. As a Londoner I'm glad you didn't think Notting Hill was too far out to visit a second time
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mentor of monty
Oh god- Christmas in September... loving this report Offerendum. As a Londoner I'm glad you didn't think Notting Hill was too far out to visit a second time
Thanks! Definitively not too far
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Lunch: Yauatcha Soho

This day we had our only lunch in London as it was a special day. Beside Indian restaurants I wanted to try at least on Michelin starred Asian restaurant. As it was located near to the Palace Theatre (some may know what we did this day) we decided to try Yauatcha Soho. It had one star this time, in the 2020 guide it was relegated to a plate.
The restaurant is modern, the tables are placed near to each other. At least at Lunchtime it was Incredible noisy, some may say an authentic Asian atmosphere.

They have a lunch menu which is very good value but we choosed a selection a la carte.

Dessert was some sweet soup.

We liked out Lunch and I canīt really understand why the star was deleted. Food wise at was at least on one level with other starred restaurants I tried in the past. But itīs not the only decision I canīt understand in the 2020 London guide…...
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

London: Harry Potter and the cursed child

This day I was finally ready to see both parts of Harry Potter and the cursed child at Palace Theatre. Tickets are not cheap. There are different categories, for both parts a premium ticket Costs 199 GBP per Person. Of course there are even tickets for 30 GBP but it seems the whole theatre is more or less premium seating…...
From outside:

As the world is a very very dangerous place there were of course strict security checks. This meant there was a line nearly around the theatre and as there is a long break between part 1 and 2 you have this pleasure 2 times.

For security reasons of course

I donīt know what others think but I hate such things and it takes me every joy.
Inside the theatre is pretty nice.

So this is the view from a premium seat!

As you pay 99,50 GBP per part they have give away prices for theit binoculars.

The stage during a break

The play is quite interesting if you are a real fan, but even as a big fan I didnīt found it too great. I really wanted to see it bur in the end it was not my most enjoyable day in London. Also I think this theatres are a big ripp off as everything is expensive and they try to make you believe you get such a great and luxurious experience.
The figure from inside:

One last view:
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dinner: Veeraswamy London

Between part 1 and 2 of Harry Potter we decided to eat at Veeraswamy, the UKīs oldest Indian restaurant, open since 1926. It holds 1 Michelin star and I was excited to compare it to Quilon.
The restaurant is located on the mezzanine floor of Victory House at Regent Street. The flag is from the restaurant.

The restaurant is furnished classical.

They also have a nice private dining room.

They offer a pre-thearte menu which is relative cheap with 35 GBP. We took it as it offered dishes we wanted to try anyway.
First course: Lentil soup (unadapted on the menu since 1926):

I took Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) in an onion and tomato sauce as main course, the bread I ordered additional.

GF ordered Seabass fillets marinated with royal cumin and mint, wrapped in banana leaf and baked.

We liked the Paneer more as the fish was a little bit bland without real sauce.
Dessert were ice.

The cooking was classical and fine. Personally I liked my meal at Quilon more, as I found the food more "fancy". Nevertheless itīs a good restaurant.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

London: St. Pauls Cathedral

St. Pauls Cathedral is one of the 2 big churches in London.

The church is huge as were the crowd of visitors.

There are many grave monuments inside the church.

There is also the crypt, also with many monuments.

The entrance fee is 20 GBP (online in advane 17 GBP), here London Pass strikes again.
Silver Fox and nequine like this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

London: Millenium Bridge

From St. Pauls we went to Tate Modern through the Millenium Bridge. The pedestrians bridge was openden in 2000 after plans of Norman Foster. Since this time itīs a London Landmark and had some roles in movies like Harry Potter. From the bridge you enjoy some nice views over the River Thames.

Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

London: Tate Modern

Tate Modern is one of the museums I nearly always visit when Iīm in London. Itīs not really the art itself, but I like the building and especially the (relative) new rooftop terrace.

I Always ask myself what the people say who baught this glass-flats….

The art is modern, sometimes wired.

There was also some art I asked myself why the hell I donīt produce and sell art myself.

The heart of the museum. I think the excavator is doing some work but at Tate Modern you never know and it could also be an artwork.

nequine, LinLant and bitterproffit like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.