Reload this Page >

Hurry up, itīs Brexit-time!

Old Sep 18, 19, 1:12 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some

Itīs time for a new report! This time itīs a 2 weeks trip to England with main focus on London before you need a visa or they get short of food.
First 1 planned to do in London 3 nights at Four Seasons at 10 Trinity Square and 5 nights at the Lanesborough. In the end it didnīt work out and I ended with 8 nights at FS Trinity Square. Of course I selected some restaurants, in the end it were "14 stars" in 8 Restaurants. Additionally I booked 3 night at Four Seasons Hampshire, a hotel I wanted to visit for a long time, 2 nights at Ellenborough Park Cheltenham and 1 night at the Manor House Castle Combe. For this 6 nights only 2 stars in 2 restaurants.
For London I bought a London Pass, which Costs 199 GBP for 10 days, with a (frequent) discount you get it for 170 GBP. Itīs not cheap but if you consider that for excample alone the Tower costs 28 GBP, Westminster Abbey 23 GBP, St. Pauls Cathedral 20 GBP and the Shard 32 GBP you see itīs a great offer. In the end I did attractions for 373 GBP. Perhaps I would not have done some but I still saved a lot.
mendezka likes this.

Last edited by offerendum; Sep 18, 19 at 3:32 pm
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:12 pm
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Flights DUS - LHR

For the flight to London I could mainly choose between wonna be Business by Eurowings and Fake-Business by British Airways. In the end it was Eurowings as they were 160 € "cheaper" and the product is only slightly worse.
Check-in was fast, of course no priority-tags for the bags. Security was relatively fast and we headed to the Lufthansa-lounge.
Offerings were pretty standard, nothing special.

The flight was uneventful with ok-legroom and the glorious a la carte menu.

It was the first time I arrived at LHR T2 and as feared the baggage handling is as worst as at T5. It lastet an eternity till our bags arrived, typical Heathrow-problem. At least our luggage wasnīt stored like this:
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:24 pm

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver - renewed on only two sectors and no other OW flying, is BA desperate?.
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Itīs time for a new report! This time itīs a 2 weeks trip to England with main focus on London bevor you need a visa or they get short of food.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't vote for the current mess who finds your post in very bad taste. There is nothing amusing or funny about the current situation unless you have a particularly sad and disordered person.
Old Sep 18, 19, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrpete View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't vote for the current mess who finds your post in very bad taste. There is nothing amusing or funny about the current situation unless you have a particularly sad and disordered person.
I donīt wonna start a discussion about Brexit and itīs not my intention to offend someone. As someone who even lived and worked a short time in England it breakes my heart to see the current situation. I was very glad when Scots decided to stay a few years ago but I think this will be the next stroke. My lax comment had 2 backgrounds. First I donīt think you will need a visa in the future even if I heared radio spots (from the goverment) which seemed to tell people they need "other documents" in the future. Also I donīt think GB will ran out of food. So it was ironical in this way as I think many people overact at them moment. Indded a plan a England-trip next year. Nevertheless Iīm convinced GB already pays the price for this decision and will loose much more in the future.
Nevertheless there was also a second aspect. Indeed I wouldnīt book a GB-trip in November at the moment as I think there are too many imponderables at the moment. So Brexit was indeed a reason to book this trip now, we decided after the extension in April.

Last but not least my trip got less expensive since I booked as the GBP felt from around 1,2 € to 1,1 € (now getting stronger) which saved me a 4 figure sum.

Btw: I met some locals who mad a lot of sarcastic and funny comments About it. Sometimes gallows Humor is the only way to survive.
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 9:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Plat Mariott Gold UA Gold NEXUS
I'm of the opinion these sorts of comments as you've made above really should be reserved for OMNI. The comment was clearly made in jest. Those on the outside agree with you - it's not funny genuinely (OK well Boris' haircut is kinda funny), but I agree with the OP - gallows humour for some is helpful. May I suggest moving this discussion to OMNI - should we be joking about this or not is a useful discussion there, not as part of the trip report forum. A moderator may well do so yet, but I thought I'd like to comment here.

I none the less wish you and your countrymen and women the best in sorting this out, notwithstanding our disagreement on this matter.

Anyway looking forward to reading more. I've only had a couple days here and there in London and would like to make a go of it properly one day.
Old Sep 19, 19, 9:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
For London I bought a London Pass, which Costs 199 GBP for 10 days, with a (frequent) discount you get it for 170 GBP. Itīs not cheap but if you consider that for excample alone the Tower costs 28 GBP, Westminster Abbey 23 GBP, St. Pauls Cathedral 20 GBP and the Shard 32 GBP you see itīs a great offer. In the end I did attractions for 373 GBP. Perhaps I would not have done some but I still saved a lot.

Good grief, I have not been to London for some time now, but those prices have certainly hiked by a fair percentage.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 10:24 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Accor gold, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by roadwarrier View Post

Good grief, I have not been to London for some time now, but those prices have certainly hiked by a fair percentage.
Old Sep 19, 19, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarrier View Post

I remember the prices were already Incredible high in 2001 when I visited the first time. I think St. Pauls were the first church were I Paid the entrance fee with a credit card.
Old Sep 19, 19, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Transfer

I pre-ordered a car via Sixt ride which I tried for the first time. After the bad experience in Rome I went the save way and booked a Business Van.
After Immigration we were met by our Driver, who was a very nice guy. The Mercedes V-class was well equiped and clean. On the way we had the usual traffic from Heathrow to the city. It got even worse when we reached Hyde Park, we got an idea what we would do a lot over the next day - sitting in a car.
When we passed this sign I asked myself if itīs really that much safer if women work overhead:

I was glad when we arrived at the hotel. Sixt ride worked well and I can recommend it.
Old Sep 20, 19, 6:48 pm

And in my case I didn't vote for the orange man but... Chillax dude, it was a light hearted comment from the OP.

To the OP: Enjoying your report, and your humor.
roberto99, NoY, zboub345 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 19, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Four Seasons at Ten Trinity Square - Check In

As I said before I booked 8 nights at FS Ten Trinity Square. Originally it should be 3 nights at FS and 5 at the Lanesborough but there were problems with availability and my GF hates to change hotels. Another pro was that FS Ten Trinity charges half the prices of other compareable hotels. In the end I booked an Executive room as my prefered room (Deluxe Suite) wasnīt available and the next higher category was regarding the Website similar sized to the room but nearly 3 times as expensive. Also the room was with 53 to 67 sqm bigger than many Junior Suites in town and many regular suites.
The building is a historic building and without question nice from outside.

What followed was the most wired check-in I ever had at a Four Seasons hotel (and I had some). At reception everything first went as usual. When they explained our FFPP benefits they explained us the next higher room category wouldnīt be available. But as we qualified for an upgrade they could offer us a Heritage Suite at a very special price of 450 GBP more per night. Personally I think such selling is not FS-like. First I more than once got multiple category upgrades at FS without asking for it. At FS Level I expect either they tell me "we have a beautiful Executive Room for you" or "unfortunately we are fully booked" (regarding their Website it was true) OR "we have a very nice upgrade to a Heritage Suite for you, please enjoy". To make it clea, I donīt complain I didnīt got the Heritage Suite. Thatīs absolutely fine as rules say one category and I knew in Advance this category wasnīt available. What I strongly disliked was the fact they tried to sell it at check-in to me.
Nevertheless I was curious and asked to see the suite. What I saw was not blowing me away. I canīt really say if it was a Heritage or perhaps even a Trinity Heritage Suite (but think it was the first). When we came in we mentioned the room was very dark with few natural light. The room was also on the Ground Floor and street Level what I donīt like. There was first a dining table but without any natural light, not an appealing place. The living room was relative small as was the bedroom. Bathroom was very nice (but very similar to the Executive room as we learned later).
I also asked to see the Executive room which I will describe later. Especially as I knew to be only short time periods in the room and if mostly for sleeping I decided to go with the Executive room.
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by offerendum; Sep 21, 19 at 8:19 am
Old Sep 21, 19, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Four Seasons at Ten Trinity Square - public spaces

The public spaces are without question nice. First you step into a long room. They had some art elephants which are a campaign (promoted by Charles and Camilla) for natural reserve.

The heart is the rotunda, also bar and breakfast-/ tearoom.

The staircase to the upper floors is also historic with a glass elevator in the middle.

On the second floor are the ballrooms.

Most famous is the UN-ballroom. I had a look during remodeling but didnīt took a picture. This is the ballroom foyer.

The way to the room:
Old Sep 21, 19, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Four Seasons at Ten Trinity Square - Executive Room

Our room had the number 222 and was regarding the Floor plan similar to some other rooms on the floor. It was dark. With dark I donīt only mean the creapy window, I also mean the wood.

The entrance with the cupboard on the entrance to the bathroom:

What I really liked that they removed the airline-tags from our bags. A rare service.
While the room was not small and had everything you really need I wasnīt impressed. With itīs darkness it never really felt good. In contrast was the bathroom which I really liked. It was bright with 1 sink at each side what I like.

What was exemplary was the sense for place.

Who is not a fan of the old London tea-brand Julius Meinl and when I think about Picadilli or Kensington Firenze comes to my mind.
But letīs go back to the window. Here some closer Looks and some impressions of the great view:

Bottom line: Sure, the Heritage Suite would have been nicer but only slightly. After my experience I canīt say Iīm a fan of the rooms.
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by offerendum; Sep 21, 19 at 4:10 pm
Old Sep 22, 19, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I’ll be interested in your view of the 4S Hampshire. I think it has gone way downhill from about ten years ago.
Old Sep 22, 19, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Sounds like a miserable trip.
Justin Case and RetiredATLATC like this.

Search this Thread