Search

tom911 goes to Washington, D.C. for the 4th of July

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:59 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Don't know exact reason for change this year, but I heard something to do with amount of fireworks launched this year, far more fireworks were launched and had to change the location.
Here's what the Interior Department said:

In justifying Trump’s changes, Interior officials argued that moving the fireworks launching site from the north and south sides of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool — where it has been located for at least 18 years — to West Potomac Park will allow for more visitors.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.aa40ccc5dfb7
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Good pics of the fireworks!

We were in DC in 09 for the 4th July and enjoyed the great feeling in the city. I got a sneak preview of the Capitol Show the day before when they were rehearsing but stayed in our hotel to watch it properly and to see the spectacular fireworks although we did manage to see them from our hotel!
tom911 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:53 pm

Tom911 thanks for the memories. I grew up in the no. va. suburbs in the 50's We went to the parade and fireworks for many years.
tom911 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Thanks for sharing ^ I love walking around D.C and absorbing all of the history and architecture - I really need to get to the parade one year.
tom911 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Nice photos! Thanks for sharing.

Couple of things... Seems to be a lot of security! No BabyTrump photos!
tom911 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Wow, the fireworks were awesome, and you captured them from where, Rosslyn? Great job!

Can you be more specific about where you shot the fireworks from Rosslyn, with reference to the Rosslyn Metro Station? Thanks. (researching for next year, maybe, ha ha)

Thakn you Tom
tom911 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fromYXU
Seems to be a lot of security!
I walked about 5 blocks of the parade route until I ended up where I was. There was one block filled with military police or National Guard, and the other blocks all had police. Seemed like a lot more than when I've attended in years past.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Can you be more specific about where you shot the fireworks from Rosslyn, with reference to the Rosslyn Metro Station?
I was over in the park area just below the Netherlands Carillon. You'll pass the Marine Corps Memorial in the same park. It's an easy walk over and you'll see both locations on Google maps.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
I was over in the park area just below the Netherlands Carillon. You'll pass the Marine Corps Memorial in the same park. It's an easy walk over and you'll see both locations on Google maps.
Got it, thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for the pictures of your trip especially the fireworks. How did you get from Benicia to SMF?
tom911 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Thanks for the pictures of your trip especially the fireworks. How did you get from Benicia to SMF?
I parked in the daily lot at SMF at $12 a day. Could have parked in the gravel economy lot for $10 but I splurge and spend the $2 a day extra for the daily lot which is paved. Don't have to circle all around looking for an open space in the daily lot. Can't park that cheap on-property at SFO (think it's around $35 a day now, and if you park off property for $10-15 you have to add on shuttle schedules to get back to SFO). At SMF, pretty rare to wait more than 5-10 mins for a shuttle to any of their lots. I wish all my flights could be from there, though pretty much limited to some award travel east or Alaska paid tickets to SEA.

Should add that Benicia is within one hour's drive of SFO, OAK, SJC and SMF, so with paid tickets I go to the cheapest airport. SFO tends to win the competition there.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by sundrop
Amazing trip details Tom.

Question, is staying at that Hilton location make it easily accessible to DC using the metro. I would like to make a trip sometime and heard that it's cheaper to stay outside of DC and just take the metro in. Purpose of visit: never been to DC and want to visit all the sites especially the Smithsonian.
I've usually had good luck for holidays in the McLean VA area - there's a number of Hilton (Embassy very close) and Mariotts (Sheraton not far either) near the Spring Hill Road Metro and Greensboro Station metro. During some stays I've been at $89 at the Embassy Suites, but they charge $10 for parking now.

Great pics of the festivities Tom - thanks.
tom911 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by sundrop
Amazing trip details Tom.

Question, is staying at that Hilton location make it easily accessible to DC using the metro. I would like to make a trip sometime and heard that it's cheaper to stay outside of DC and just take the metro in. Purpose of visit: never been to DC and want to visit all the sites especially the Smithsonian.
Check out properties in Crystal City, Pentagon City, Roslyn, etc. Comparably inexpensive on weekends. and very quick Metro/taxi/car share rides into the heart of DC. A bit closer than Tysons Corner/McLean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.