Reload this Page >

Good Things Come in 3s - Emirates, Qatar, and Singapore First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Things Come in 3s - Emirates, Qatar, and Singapore First Class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Great report so far! I agree that QR's F product is a meagre step up from their fabulous J... but the bathrooms do look mighty fancy (plus the Krug, of course).

Now I'm curious to see what comes next... surely if you're planning laps of the Nurburgring you'd have chosen something sportier than an E-class wagon?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:47 pm

I can't wait for the St. Regis Rome review!
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Jgp777
Very nice review! Thank you for sharing!
I took my child when he was 4 months on QR F A380 from BKK-DOH. He was fine through the whole flight, except while on descent, he began crying. There was another passenger who made a huge fuss of the situation. Luckily the crew told us not to worry because we were landing and our child was sleeping throughout, plus kids are allowed on F on QR.

For me apart from the seat and maybe service, the whole F experience is very underwhelming. The menu looks exactly the same as in J on a daytime flight. The only difference is probably the Krug. Additionally the amenity kit looks pretty similar to J. Earlier they gave the older version of the Brics amenity kit which was much larger for first class and with a few more extra products.
Thank you, Jgp777I agree with your assessment of QR F. Compared to EK F or the EY Apartment, it is extremely lackluster

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Great report so far! I agree that QR's F product is a meagre step up from their fabulous J... but the bathrooms do look mighty fancy (plus the Krug, of course).

Now I'm curious to see what comes next... surely if you're planning laps of the Nurburgring you'd have chosen something sportier than an E-class wagon?
mad_atta, if I hadn't run into an image limit for the post, the Nurburgring would've been in the previous installment. But since I went over, I had to cut it and shuffle it into the next update

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I can't wait for the St. Regis Rome review!
iluvdoco, that should be up next as well! The lobby after the renovation looks amazing!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:57 pm

The Qatar flight looked really good
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:59 am

I was not so impressed by Qatar Business. the food was mediocre. I preferred Ethihad on the A 380.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jgp777
Very nice review! Thank you for sharing!
I took my child when he was 4 months on QR F A380 from BKK-DOH. He was fine through the whole flight, except while on descent, he began crying. There was another passenger who made a huge fuss of the situation. Luckily the crew told us not to worry because we were landing and our child was sleeping throughout, plus kids are allowed on F on QR.
I can imagine it being totally disorientating for them when the pressure changes. And if people have paid (either through cash or redemption) I don't see the problem with having kids in F.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Meh
Great TR so far!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Once we finished breakfast, it was time to head to the track car rental agency. This lovely RS6 was parked outside the hotel...at least the new one is coming to the US!

Rent4Ring is just 2-3 minutes and one roundabout away from the hotel. We checked in with someone at the counter who went over the paperwork and general rules before a group safety briefing

Inside wall, signed by those who don't crash (or at least that's how it used to be)

Volk wheel

The track itself was just a few minutes further away, and boy was there a lot of eye candy

After doing a few laps without crashing or being crashed into, we breathed a sigh of relief and signed our names on the wall, with our impromptu hashtag for the trip

And one last picture before we checked out of the hotel and drove back to FRA for the afternoon flight to Rome

We arrived back at FRA and returned our rentals before heading into T1 for check-in. I'm not sure what training or instructions the LH agents were given, but they tried to tell me I could not use a kiosk to check-in because we were a family. The wait would have been much longer had I not decided to pursue my own destiny. We turned our attention towards the bag drop, but even with packing some of our items into our friends' bags, we were almost over the weight limit. Luckily, they waved us off after we got it close enough to 50lbs
With no lounge access, we hung out by the gate for some plane spotting

Got hungry in between

We pre-boarded when the time came, but there was a large group of students who also opted to do so. Not very much to show or say when sitting in the back, other than the minuscule legroom

A flimsy tray table folded down for my bag of chips, which turned out rather good

The rest of the flight was uneventful, and I was more than happy to touchdown in Rome to stretch my legs after an hour and a half of sitting next to the engines. We walked to the train station and took the direct line to Rome Termini

Walking towards the Palazzo Naiadi, where my friends were staying

From there, it was only a 5 minute walk with luggage (2-3 without) to the St. Regis. As we walked into the lobby, we were directed right to check-in. The dining area was directly forward from the entrance, and looks stunning after the recent renovations.

I burned the last of my SNAs that cleared us into a very nice room
Vaulted hallway ceilings

Room entrance. There is a half bath immediately to the left

Living area

Bedroom

Small area behind the bed

Bathroom with bidet and rain shower. When we asked for some bath salts, they came and delivered it in a small yellow Acqua di Parma box

Closet

Decent internet speed

It was already evening so we wasted no time heading out to explore and find a place to eat

Arriving at Caesar's Palace...I mean Trevi Fountain

We stumbled towards an eatery just a stone's throw away

Cold beer

Bruschetta

And pizza

Pasta for the little one

Gelato for dessert

We returned to the hotel afterwards to get some rest since we had a tour of the Vatican scheduled for early in the morning. Upon returning to the St. Regis, there was a nice surprise waiting on the bed...a stuffed animal wolf that represents a Roman legend

Next up: Vatican tour and more
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
The Qatar flight looked really good
As others have mentioned, it was very comfortable and definitely a treat, but nothing compared to EK or EY first class in my opinion

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I was not so impressed by Qatar Business. the food was mediocre. I preferred Ethihad on the A 380.
For me, QR J had better food than the EY J flights I've done

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I can imagine it being totally disorientating for them when the pressure changes. And if people have paid (either through cash or redemption) I don't see the problem with having kids in F.
Very true. We always make sure he's either asleep, has a binkie, or is eating something as we ascend/descend.

Originally Posted by stevie
Great TR so far!
Thank you, stevie
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by chongl
We returned to the hotel afterwards to get some rest since we had a tour of the Vatican scheduled for early in the morning. Upon returning to the St. Regis, there was a nice surprise waiting on the bed...a stuffed animal wolf that represents a Roman legend

Next up: Vatican tour and more
Food looked great.
I'm pretty sure this is neither what Romulus nor Remus was raised by
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:16 pm

What Marriott elite perks did you receive, if any, besides the SNA upgrade and stuffed animal?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

The next morning we called the butler service to get some coffee and tea delivered. It even came with some snacks

With our early tour, we wouldn't have time for the hotel breakfast, so that will have to wait until the following day. We were in such a rush to get out the door that we didn't even take a sip of our drinks. Our friends graciously met us at our hotel and we hopped into a cab towards the meeting point

It was a small outdoor cafe that wasn't too far from the entrance....when it isn't raining. Good thing it was only a slight drizzle. We had prebooked our tour, so we skipped much of the long lines, but obviously still had the security area to clear. Due to some issues during booking, we were upgraded to the tour with breakfast, not that it mattered much to us.

Breakfast was outside, but covered

Basic options with some bread and pastries at the other stations

Once we were done, the tour continued. Since there's no way I can remember the significance of each picture, I'll just let them do the talking on their own. Long story short, lots of statues, tapestries, and paintings everywhere

A view of the city

The god of turbos...that's what the urn/jar he's holding looks like, at least

Perseus

Onto some masterfully detailed ceilings

Simply stunning

Everybody likes bacon!

And then we were ushered into a room where we were shushed by the guards and told to move along...The Sistine Chapel. Contrary to what is said, photography isn't banned for ordinary tourists, but the damage that flash can do in the hands of inexperienced snappers led them to apply it as an across the board rule. So since I don't have a flash on my A7RIII, I discretely pointed my ultra-wide angle upwards, and got the shot

From there, we hung out against the wall where there was seating for about 10 minutes before we regrouped and head outside, towards St. Peter's Basilica

Strollers aren't allowed inside, so we made a quick stop to check it into the dedicated area that also has the cloak room. Once inside, I could not get over the staggering beauty and detail that spans every inch of what we saw

And back outside in St. Peter's Square

Not quite as opulent from the outside

offerendum, not2017 and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Ducking into a shop for some gelato!

On a cone

Continuing on our merry way

Castel Sant'Angelo

Supreme Court

Basilica in the background

Piazza Navona

The ruins under street level

Modern day plaza

A door

Arriving at the Pantheon

Inside

Looking up at the dome

Fountains

Time for some coffee granita

Lunch time. We found a random restaurant nearby and ordered from the set menu for lunch

Beer

Pasta

A mistake

Dessert

From there, it was time for more gelato

Arriving at Giolitti

My buddy got some canolis to go for consumption later in the evening while we chowed down on our gelato

Heading towards the Spanish Steps

Still able to sit without being fined

About 20 minutes of people watching later, we head back towards the hotel for some rest...passing some aqueduct ruins

Another fountain

In the evening, our friends came over to watch the champagne sabering, and to eat some canolis

Not a large selection at the bar, but we had a few drinks

Next up: breakfast at the St. Regis and the Colosseum
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
What Marriott elite perks did you receive, if any, besides the SNA upgrade and stuffed animal?
Free breakfast which is standard for elites of a certain tier. There is coffee and tea that can be requested and delivered. The butlers can pack/unpack among a few other services. There is a daily refill of water, although I always asked for some more bottles which they gladly brought up to us.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 5:12 am

Superb trip report and great pictures, thoroughly enjoyed every minute. In the past have similarly splurged some miles to bring my young children on J, but having to be hyper alert in the lounge or on the plane doesn’t really fit with the J experience for me so happy to fly economy with them until they’re old enough to enjoy/appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.