ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Selling Postcards at Airline Collectible Conventions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Selling Postcards at Airline Collectible Conventions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: trash airline program here
Thank you for another excellent report Seat2A. I was able to enjoy it over a Goose Island IPA(I share your opinion on most IPA's having that skunky weed taste and smell, but this one is a little more subtle in my opinion) and a tasty blonde beer(seasonal, didnt catch the name) on my UA SFO-DTW flight. Cheers!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyForFun
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to post another outstanding trip report. I read every single word and am able to create realistic images in my mind due to your extraordinary details and marvelous descriptions. I almost feel like I am accompanying you on your adventure.
You're gonna give me a big head with such charitable comments, FlyForFun Honestly though, your comments are very much appreciated especially as they reflect what I strive to accomplish with all of my trip reports - that being to take you along for the journey. Glad you could join me! ^

Originally Posted by stu1985
Great report as usual Seat2A - thanks for taking the time to put it together. Looks like you were pretty successful with the BA flights you had which is very nice to see given that BA get a lot of slack (as you alluded to)!
Thanks, Stu! I don't doubt that some of BA's most strident critics here have had the occasional bad flight, but some of these naysayers would seem to be suggesting that BA is practically incapable of a quality service. From what I can see, many of them have long since lost the excitement about premium class travel and at this point seem to go out of their way to look for little things to criticize. I suppose one's view on the quality of a First Class international flight might be dependent upon one's past experience to draw on as a point or points of reference. Compared to some FTers here, I'm probably considered a neophyte (In terms of International intercontinental First Class I have only 121 flights totaling 574,800 miles aboard 17 airlines) but I'm nonetheless happy to report that in this instance at least, both of my flights with BA were quite enjoyable.

Originally Posted by 757
As always, an excellent read about your travels. BA F really looks to be a great product; it seems to definitely have improved from a few years ago. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks, 757! While BA doesn't offer all the little whistles and bells of a true 5 star airline, most of my flights with them in First have been very nice. I'd rate BA's First Class as a solid 4 star product.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 9, 2019 at 10:42 am
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by lamphs
Many thanks for the detailed report, especially the effort you place on wording in order to make me think that I am shadowing you on the flights!
Thanks for coming along for the ride, lamphs ^

Originally Posted by Gripevo
Thank you for another excellent report Seat2A. I was able to enjoy it over a Goose Island IPA(I share your opinion on most IPA's having that skunky weed taste and smell, but this one is a little more subtle in my opinion) and a tasty blonde beer(seasonal, didnt catch the name) on my UA SFO-DTW flight. Cheers!
Thanks for reading, Gripevo! I'll keep an eye out for that Goose Island IPA. I had a Goose Island ale of some type on a visit to Harry Caray's Restaurant a couple years ago and remember it as being very nice. Although I'm not a big IPA drinker, one that I really like a lot is Bodhizafa IPA. It's brewed by Seattle's Georgetown Brewing Co. and is served in Alaska Airlines' C Concourse Lounge at SeaTac as well as at the American Express Centurion Club on Concourse B.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 13, 2019 at 12:13 am
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I would rate this trip report as ... not bad ... not bad!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
Well, from one old goat to another, thanks for another fine report. A real joy!

These “kids” today have no clue as to how it was. My first flight was as a seven year old. TWA Constellation, IDL - ORY. (That’s Idlewild - now JFK - Paris (Orly). Spoiled rotten? Hell yes, but it set the standard for me and I’ll never let it go. Time marches on, those amenities will never return but it’s sure nice to remember them.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:43 pm

Thanks Seat 2a another great trip report. I have said this before but will say it again. I much prefer your written tr reports to photo trs.

That said, you mentioned working on your 2017 tr to Australia. Mrs. JMJ 9905 and I are planning a return to trip to down under in 2021. So get writing!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I would love to visit this museum. It and the one at Duxford are at the top of my list. ^
Ive done Duxford and its excellent, also consider the RAF London museum at Hendon, both are north of London and would make a good combined trip.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: QF Platinum, Velocity Platinum
Thank you for yet another wonderful trip report Seat2A, it was a delight to read. Thank you also for the memories, I loved the first photo of the Air New Zealand DC8 First Class service. My first international flight in 1972 was on a TE DC8 Sydney - Christchurch. It was very exciting for a 9 year old and an extra bonus, I was allowed to hand out sweets prior to landing! Warmest regards from Sydney.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:43 pm

Seat 2a another great trip report. Don't ever wonder about an audience for your written trip reports. I too am an old timer and remember the "Good Old Days". My first international F was on American from DFw to Gatwick. in the mid 80's. They served cavier, coquil saint joug (sp), and had a chef's special. It was truly amazing. There are many good things about international f today including the lie flat beds. But, for me, the graciousness and civility is long gone.
I look forward to your tr on your 2017 trip to australia. We are planning on returning there in 2021.

Last edited by jmj9905; Jun 14, 2019 at 7:34 pm
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:39 am
pjs

Always a pleasure to read. I don't eat olives either, but my wife is the beneficiary of this every time we travel together. By the way, I believe the CCR boardroom chairs are from the actual Concorde.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Priority Club (Platinum)
Nice report as always. Having gone through an extensive interview in TLV, I've what that's like for security to be interested in your travels.

I took British Airways business class LHR-ORD last year, it was "meh.." but sound like it was a nice flight for you - of course one class better. My seat on the A380 was one of those that faced backwards - other than probably superior protection in the event of a crash, I didn't appreciate the rearward seat. Of course, other than paying a significant amount (to me, but it was also the point of it), I couldn't select my seat head of time. In business class! It was an award ticket but still...

Last edited by iaflyer; Jun 14, 2019 at 12:32 pm
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:45 pm

It's a small world - I managed to pick up this report whilst making my own meandering way to AMS, and drove past the hotel which hosts the Aviation Fair you built the trip around! Sadly my extended routing was not in such luxury, nor by choice.... the inbound plane (which should have been KLM's first 737 service to BRS) went tech and returned to base, so a routine hop turned into several hours of queuing, four more in a taxi to central London, then alternative routing on BA for an eventual arrival some eight hours behind schedule. Although your pictures didn't make it into my phone's cache, all the words did, and it's a testament to your report style that that does not hinder the enjoyment of them whilst in the wifi-less confines of a shorthaul flight.

I'd be interested in a FlyerTalk meetup at a fair like this - I've gathered together a few mementos across the years, although mostly restricted to moments from my flying history or aviation employment to prevent the collector / hoarder instincts getting too far out of check. I would definitely echo JAXBA's recommendation of the BA Heritage Centre at Waterside, not just for its collections but the endlessly knowledgeable staff. In the meantime, as part of the BA 100 celebrations their photographic archives have been opened up and put online - creating the Centenary Archive Collection. It's a bit confusingly organised, but is an absolute treasure trove of unseen and / or vintage material that you might enjoy browsing.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor
I would rate this trip report as ... not bad ... not bad!
Thank you... Thank you! ^

Originally Posted by ss278
Well, from one old goat to another, thanks for another fine report. A real joy! These “kids” today have no clue as to how it was. My first flight was as a seven year old. TWA Constellation, IDL - ORY. (That’s Idlewild - now JFK - Paris (Orly). Spoiled rotten? Hell yes, but it set the standard for me and I’ll never let it go. Time marches on, those amenities will never return but it’s sure nice to remember them.
Thanks, ss278 ^ No doubt the perceptions of quality inflight service are probably markedly different for people born after 1980. I logged my 1000th flight in 1981 in First Class aboard a Western DC-10 between San Francisco and Honolulu. We still had Islander Punch served from the steaming volcano and each course was served seatside from the trolley. It was truly special , especially compared to what passes for "First Class" on Hawaii flights these days. That said, as commonplace and homogenized as flying has since become - especially here in the U.S. - it's not surprising that so many take a more pragmatic view towards it these days.

Originally Posted by jmj9905
Thanks Seat 2A another great trip report. I have said this before but will say it again. I much prefer your written trip reports to photo TRs. That said, you mentioned working on your 2017 TR to Australia. Mrs. JMJ 9905 and I are planning a return to trip to down under in 2021. So get writing!
Thank you, jmj9905 ^ I hope that 2017 report will still be relevant to Qantas' service by the time I finally get it published. I flew a lot of Qantas domestic business class on that trip with lots of pictures of the inflight meals and Qantas' excellent airport lounges. It'll be slow going what with all the other irons I have in the fire, but hopefully I'll have it out by year's end.

Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
I've done Duxford and it's excellent. Also consider the RAF London Museum at Hendon. Both are north of London and would make a good combined trip.
Top flight advice there, Alan ^ I'll keep it in mind when I finally get around to returning to London.

Thanks for all of your responses thus far to this trip report. I'll have more responses to your responses upon return from work later today. For now, I'm off to drive the Denali Park Road to Toklat.

adampenrith and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:02 pm

Thanks seat 2A will look forward to that tr on Australia.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Awesome trip report. I suspect many of us have a collectors mentality. I, for one, loved seeing and hearing about your collection.
Cheers,
T

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.