First in Business... Suites

Old Jan 26, 19, 12:48 pm
Original Poster
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold

Hello everyone

Taking a cue from Qatar’s Qsuite tagline, here I present to you my opinions on MH’s newly crowned, Business Suites First Class or otherwise Business Plus.

My journey started in Jakarta, where we checked-in into our MH flights, first on MH720 on the ex-AB A330-200s, to connect to MH123 to Sydney. I noticed that our bag tags showed GCCL as opposed to any higher priority whether by virtue of status or cabin class.

After a slight delay from the inbound flight, and after a quick turnaround, we went on board to find a relatively dated cabin on our plane, 9M-MTU. Safety instructions were manual, and crew were indifferent. OWEs were greeted by name once when service started, but not at any point after. Seats were narrow, what I felt was similar in width to Club World on BA. In terms of food, mains were pretty good, but salad and dessert was meh. Hot drinks were not served the entirety of the the flight due to turbulence. After an average flight, the plane docked at KLIA’s satellite terminal, after which I proceeded to head to the Golden Lounge. The agent, who was curiously featured in some sort of promotional material, was downright indifferent and didn’t bother to point to which lounge we were welcome to. We proceeded to walk right towards the Platinum Lounge, to which he mentioned, you can go to either lounge with a straight face. Once inside, staff were attentive and proactively offered drinks or snacks. Dining room was busy with elite heavy JL724 departing in a similar time, but service was friendly and polished. Champagne, a de Venoge Cordon Bleu NV was served and frequently topped up. Food quality was good, had the Sea Bass and the Chocolate tart, fish was fresh, and chocolate tart was decadent.

Later, proceeding to the gate, the gate was busy as always. An abrupt boarding announcement for passengers requiring special attention saw many DYKWIA Business Class passengers trying to get through to board, only to be stopped by the gate guardian. Once given the green light, an announcement is made inviting Business Class and Elite customers to board. Curiously, there was no mention of Business Suite. A steady stream of J passengers board the aircraft, after several minutes of which, we finally made it into the plane. The crew were distracted upon boarding and just pointed to the aisle of our seats, having not realise we were in “Business Suite” without taking us to our suites (as would be expected for an F product). They quickly realised we were in row 1, the purser apologised profusely as she showed us to our suites, saying that they haven’t gotten used to the new name. Quickly, we were offered drink options. The signature Wau Emas was offered both in Business Suite and Business Class. Champagne on offer was the familiar de Venoge Cordon Bleu NV, which is offered only on the ground due to tax purposes.

After the initial kerfuffle, service was absolutely brilliant. The seats though considerably narrower than the F seats offered by Cathay, Singapore, or Qantas, really isn’t that bad and was very comfortable. The added side storage was helpful, though I must concur, they could have customised the seat and made it wider in exchange for a narrower storage cabinet. I’d say the seat almost the same width as you’d find on BA’s older F seats.

Amenity kits were by Cerutti 1881, and was of great quality, and included a silver-gold coloured MH keychain as well as a small bottle of Cerutti Perfume.

Soon after takeoff, my Chef on Call order of Lobster Tails was quickly acknowledged. The meals were fully customisable, and they were quickly served. Dinner options were slightly more limited and relied on the any time menu, but having pre-ordered the Lobster, we were able to have that as the main, in addition to the Satay as an appetiser, and some fruits and ice cream for dessert. There were three Champagnes on offer, first a brilliant Joseph Perrier Cuvée Josephine 2008, then a Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blancs de Blancs 2007, and finally a non-vintage rosé, Bruno Paillaird Premiere Cuvée Rosé Extra Brut NV. Of the three, only the Joseph Perrier is exclusive to Business Suite.

Everything was great, and there were even second servings of satay! The lobster, though a slight bit chewy was good nevertheless. Throughout the meal, the crew frequently topped up drinks, and made sure the plates were cleared quickly.

Only after the dinner service was the pyjamas distributed. They were light and very comfortable, though I noticed that they are made with polyester, which can be very uncomfortable in warmer temperatures. It was good that the crew kept the temperatures low throughout the flight.

Soon after the meal, turn down service was promptly done, and the seats are draped with a thin seat cover. As a sleeping surface, it was very comfortable especially given how it was possible to adjust the hardness of the seats. I slept for around 4 hours, which is very decent for airplane sleep for me.

Curiously, the crew manually locked the F lavatories, throughout the duration of the flight, only to be unlocked when an F passenger approaches the galley for use. I was told that many J passengers often head into the F cabin to use the lavatories, and this was a deterrent. Sure enough, throughout the flight, there was one lady from J who insisted on using the F lavatories only to be politely told to return to J by the crew, so kudos to them.

Soon, at around 2.5 hours before landing, I requested breakfast, which was prepared promptly. Everything was quite good, though the Nasi Lemak was excellent. Otherwise, it is also possible to have freshly cooked eggs as an option as well, though I did not partook in that option. It was nice that Kaya Jam was also available as one of the accompanying options for the toast, which makes it a brilliantly Malaysian meal. I was happy with everything, except for the fact that the orange juice offered on board is still the horrid artificial-tasting orange drink they serve in Business and Economy.

To conclude, sure the seat were rather narrow, and Krug 2004 (or Dom Perignon P2 2000 for that sake) wasn’t served, but I felt that Malaysia’s Business Suites is a product worthy to bear being regarded as a solid first class product. The service was excellent and attentive. It is by no means, within the realms of Emirates, Singapore Airlines, or Cathay to name a few, but it is a convenient product, that flies on a few routes no longer served with F (KUL-SYD, KUL-NRT).
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Jan 26, 19, 2:33 pm

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR
funny about locked lavatories in F - clever idea unless FA is away from lavatory
good to know that gate lice are everywhere. Shame that C Suites weren’t called for boarding first!
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 26, 19, 3:14 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Good descriptions of services. Was hoping to see photos of these " suites" as I am thinking of doing ORD KUL NRT BOM. Have never flown MH. Currently MH can be flown BOM KUL and KUL NRT on their A380. Was hoping for photos.
Old Jan 26, 19, 7:52 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeRitz-Carlton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HMPS View Post
Good descriptions of services. Was hoping to see photos of these " suites" as I am thinking of doing ORD KUL NRT BOM. Have never flown MH. Currently MH can be flown BOM KUL and KUL NRT on their A380. Was hoping for photos.
Either way, the A380 has different seats compared to the A350, so one can expect a larger suite
Old Jan 26, 19, 7:59 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeRitz-Carlton Contributor Badge

Some pictures from the meal(s):

Dinner: To start: Malaysian Satay, was later topped up proactively by the crew.

Dinner Main : Lobster Tails with Asparagus and Mashed Potatoes, followed by Fresh Fruits

Dinner (& Breakfast) Fresh fruit plate (same was served to start breakfast later on)

Breakfast: Toast with Kaya Spread, followed by yogurt (sorry no picture)

Breakfast: The fabulous Nasi Lemak

Wine and Champagne list
AJO and Carfield like this.
Old Jan 27, 19, 8:58 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
hank you clubeurope.T
clubeurope likes this.

Search this Thread