Reload this Page >

A Tourist In North Korea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Tourist In North Korea

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:16 pm

What an incredible trip report. I learned so much about a country that I am afraid I might never see in my lifetime!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channonc
Thanks Daniel for another amazing trip report. Thank you for sharing it. I've read several other accounts from other visitors to N. Korea, several that mention minders following them to the bathroom or two sided mirrors in hotel bathrooms-- stuff like that. I didn't get the sense that you experienced any of that.
I would love to visit N. Korea someday, and now just await for travel restrictions to loosen for us.
Thank you, channonc. Yes, I was expecting the trip to be abit more 'Potemkin'-like but we didn't really experience any of that. Hopefully after the second Trump-Kim meeting in Da Nang the US will relax the travel restrictions.
Originally Posted by jac162
What an incredible trip report. I learned so much about a country that I am afraid I might never see in my lifetime!
Thanks, jac162. Yes, it was great to get a brief glimpse 'behind the curtain'.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Many thanks for investing the time and effort into making this fascinating Trip Report. Also thanks for the pictures of a land I expect I will never visit. I got a question for you. When you entered North Korea did anyone ask you if you were bringing any Bibles or religious literature into the country?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:13 pm

I recommend that you read A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea by Masaji Ishikawa. I downloaded and read it on my kindle. Very interesting read.

I suspect that the people that are cheering and smiling are doing so because 1) they believe the crap about North Korea and their leaders or 2) they are scared to death to not be cheering along (fear of being turned in for not being patriotic).
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Many thanks for investing the time and effort into making this fascinating Trip Report. Also thanks for the pictures of a land I expect I will never visit. I got a question for you. When you entered North Korea did anyone ask you if you were bringing any Bibles or religious literature into the country?
Thank you, Loose Cannon. Bibles and religious literature were all banned. They looked at your books at customs. I only had my Koryo guidebook with me though.
Originally Posted by farbster
I recommend that you read A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea by Masaji Ishikawa. I downloaded and read it on my kindle. Very interesting read.
I suspect that the people that are cheering and smiling are doing so because 1) they believe the crap about North Korea and their leaders or 2) they are scared to death to not be cheering along (fear of being turned in for not being patriotic).
Looks like he had quite a tough life to put it mildly. There is also still quite a few Koreans in Japan who support the DPRK. This video gives a good insight into them:

The people living in the capital live a relatively good life (by DPRK standards) and are the most loyal to the regime. The conscripts in the parade are also their sons, daughters, brothers and sisters etc. so there was at least some genuine excitement and adulation for the soldiers.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I wonder why there are not South Korean schools in Japan?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:27 am

Very similar to what I saw last week there. Going with a smaller group can be better as one can be slightly more flexible .. We managed to see a Buddhist temple and talk to the monk for nearly an hour .. a highlight of the tour. There was zero interest in searching cameras, pictures, etc. on entering or departing from the airport.
​​​
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cage Rattler
Very similar to what I saw last week there. Going with a smaller group can be better as one can be slightly more flexible .. We managed to see a Buddhist temple and talk to the monk for nearly an hour .. a highlight of the tour. There was zero interest in searching cameras, pictures, etc. on entering or departing from the airport.
​​​
The Buddhist temple must have been interesting, apparently there are a few churches about too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bongsu_Church
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Another great report. Thanks Daniel for sharing.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Another great report. Thanks Daniel for sharing.
Thank you, bwiadca.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report! Fascinating.

I wonder what that Mauritania Airlines 737 was doing there? Long way from home.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Amazing report and photographs as usual, Daniel. I went on a tour to the DPRK in January and also had Ms. Chang as the main guide, she was really nice!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
Great report! Fascinating.
I wonder what that Mauritania Airlines 737 was doing there? Long way from home.
Thank you, RoxyMountain. I am guessing the 737 was there for some of the African VVIP's attending the independence day celebrations.
Originally Posted by tuchop
Amazing report and photographs as usual, Daniel. I went on a tour to the DPRK in January and also had Ms. Chang as the main guide, she was really nice!
Many thanks, tuchop. Great to hear you had Ms. Chang showing you around the country. I hope you got to hear her wonderful singing too.
tuchop likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:16 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Holy Cow Daniel-san, what a simply stupendous report. Amazing in fact. I read the whole thing. Having my consultant hat on for a moment, I'd hate to think of the non-billable hours the whole thing took you to complete! North Korea is definitely NOT on my bucket list - I'm happy to simply live vicariously through you.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by eightblack
Holy Cow Daniel-san, what a simply stupendous report. Amazing in fact. I read the whole thing. Having my consultant hat on for a moment, I'd hate to think of the non-billable hours the whole thing took you to complete! North Korea is definitely NOT on my bucket list - I'm happy to simply live vicariously through you.
Long time no see. Welcome back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.