A Tourist In North Korea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Tourist In North Korea

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
"It was my first time seeing a leader of a country while visiting so it was a bit of a buzz"...yea, I always get a buzz too when I see a murdering dictator in person who imprisons and murders his own people and uses them for slave labor...lol.
estnet, synd, kevincrumbs and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Wow, what an amazing report with some of your best pics. You beautifully captured the excitement of the spectators and participants in the parade. And the stadium pics were surreal. Bravo!
MatthewLAX, HMPS and kcmd like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by choklit
One of the best trip reports I have EVER read! Thank you so much for this! I would love to visit North Korea, but I'm kind of hesitant, because I am retired U.S. military. I don't know if that would have any thing to do with it, though. I will have to contact the tour company you went with for more information. I'm guessing the best time to go is during the Mass Games? Also, is there a restriction on camera/lens sizes for a trip there? I have a Nikon D800 and would love to use it to capture the journey.

Once again, thank you, for a well detailed trip report!
Thank you, choklit. Unfortunately US passport holders are prohibited (unless exempted) by the US State Dept from visiting North Korea at the moment. The ban was recently extended last year but perhaps with the Trump-Kim détente it will eventually be eased:
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/19/p...ntl/index.html

If you had a non-US passport also it would be ok. There was two dual Canadian-US passport holders on my tour and they just left their US passports at the tour agency back in Beijing. Being a retired U.S. military probably wouldn't be an issue. The only US ex-military detained by North Korea was an ex-Korean war veteran who had apparently asked to meet up with other veterans while there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrill_Newman

There is no real restrictions with camera equipment. I had my Canon 5D4 which is similar spec to the Nikon D800. I think lenses >250mm are not technically allowed but have heard that they don't really enforce it.

Originally Posted by lamphs
Herein lies the problem. Much like a recent Seat 2A trip report, your posting this without notice has wrecked my plans for this morning. I should have been out by now running a few errands in preparation for a RTW starting Monday. I am now 90 minutes behind. But, as usual, your reports require a full read from start to finish!

I have two issues with going to DPRK - one being a US citizen and the other being a 'don't tell mum' country. After seeing a non-FT trip report a while back (two Europeans traveling, rightly or wrongly, by train, from Moscow to Pyongyang, I have been fascinated by the possibly of visiting DPRK. Maybe one day?

Thanks for posting!
Ha ha! Hopefully I haven't delayed you too much for your upcoming RTW, lamphs. One of the tour companies has actually just started offering Moscow-Pyongyang trips and would definitely be an epic journey: Moscow to Pyongyang By Train Tour Young Pioneer Tours

Originally Posted by wxman22
Looks like you ate more in one day than the average North Korean eats in a month.
So, what's your point? The minder let you see what they wanted to see.
You should be disgusted. I am.
Yes, malnutrition is definitely a significant issue for the country. I read that it is estimated that one-in-five North Korean children have stunted growth due to not getting enough to eat. I also saw an interesting article recently that said that North Korean defectors often only initially eat rice when they escape because it is such a luxury to them: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...oices-in-south

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I disagree with the entire premise of this trip report. While fascinating you were never a "tourist." You were a (knowing or unknowing) propaganda pawn and source of foreign currency for a despotic regime.
Yes, there is definitely an ethical dimension to visiting a country such as North Korea, especially as tourism is a small but significant source of revenue for the regime. The albeit limited cultural exchange perhaps helps to enlighten both sides a little however. It is encouraging too that the anti-western govt posters that used to be all over the country have now been replaced with ones promoting economic growth and advancing the country.

Originally Posted by Salisbury5
Best trip report I have ever read. And I have been reading them for well over a decade.
Thank you, Salisbury5. Really glad you enjoyed this, it took a while to write up but it is great to share it with with everyone.

Originally Posted by Lumpster
Also agree that this was a fascinating read - many thanks for posting.

I’m surprised by the reaction of some but, as ever, it’s impossible to please everyone.
Many thanks, Lumpster. Yes, North Korea can be quite a controversial country. It was good to get some first hand insight however, despite only seeing what they wanted us to see.

Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
Amazing TR, I've always been fascinated by DPRK, I'd love to go but I do feel that being a propaganda pawn and seeing things like the water factory not working because of the 'holidays' and bringing in money to a tyranny would go against my ethics.

However I know everyone is a hypocrite so I'm glad travellers like you do go. Your pictures show a lot more than nearly every documentary out there.
Thank you, Leaping_Deere. I was dubious about some of the things we were shown and told. The water factory is a popular stop on most tours however and is often operational though: https://thevelvetrocket.com/2014/07/...water-factory/

Originally Posted by fredc84
"It was my first time seeing a leader of a country while visiting so it was a bit of a buzz"...yea, I always get a buzz too when I see a murdering dictator in person who imprisons and murders his own people and uses them for slave labor...lol.
Yes, probably not the best choice of words, but for someone like myself who often visits unsavoury places, there is a certain excitement from seeing a descendant from the infamous Kim dynasty, e.g. similar to visiting the grave of Pablo Escobar during my trip to Colombia or seeing Lenin at Red Square.

Originally Posted by SFO777
Wow, what an amazing report with some of your best pics. You beautifully captured the excitement of the spectators and participants in the parade. And the stadium pics were surreal. Bravo!
Many thanks, SFO777. Yes, it was great to see the military parade and the genuine smiles and celebration. The Mass Games was such a visual spectacle too, utterly mindblowing!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
How much cash do you think people carried with them on your tour? Did the tour guide have suggestions? For the Dutchman buying Seat 1, did he know ahead of time that it would be 800EU or did he just have hundreds of EU on his person in anticipation of this? While on the metro or in crowded places, did you ever fear pickpockets like when your mobile was almost stolen in MEX?
as for the regime talk, I’m sure that some Tibetans or Uighurs wouldn’t be thrilled with all the TRs in China. Let’s not even get started with how some people might feel about TRs in the USA.
Without the aviation tour, would you still want to do another visit in DPRK, assuming that there are different tour options?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Awesome as always. In fact even better than your high standard. Well worth the wait.

It was fascinating to see how many unique places you visited compared to my five night marathon trip in 2017. I didn't get to see the Kim's resting spots, but after your review, I'm not sure I missed anything...

Not to hijack your thread but here are three photos worth sharing.

You mentioned not being allowed to take photos in the super market and war museum, but I took the risk. This one was the photo showing the 'American Pigs' in defeat.

I personally enjoyed the Dog Meat Soup and here is a close up of the meat itself. I got a gamy pulled meat taste as well.

This was my favorite from my five days and taken on my first morning. We had dramatically different views/weather. But the weather cleared up nicely and I got to see the blue sky/bustling Pyongyang later in the week.

Again, great stuff, Keep it up.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Wow, thank you for posting this trip report. I enjoyed the pictures. I found it fascinating.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:11 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Wow - thank you for a comprehensive trip report. It's probably the most comprehensive one on North Korea that I've ever seen.

I had a question about whether you asked or had to disclose whether photos would be used for Flyertalk or other blogs for the internet? I recalled a previous trip report where the poster had to clear it with the guide, who allegedly knew about this site. If It's not appropriate to share here, I'd love to hear by private message. It seems you had pretty much free run about photographs with the guide. The amount of photos that you took is probably more than the average tourist.

My other question was about the focal length of the lens you were allowed to bring in. It seems that has been answered as less than 250 mm?

Thank you again
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Alaska, United, American, Singapore
Hey Daniel,

I've always enjoyed your trip reports, but this definitely ranks up there with your best. When you take your photos do you ask the locals if it's alright? Any resistance from them?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Great report. Don't listen to the haters.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Absolutely fascinating! Thank you SO much! What an absolutely incredible experience. Bravo!!

How come no drone videos?! Wahahahahahha
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Definitely one of your best trip reports ever Daniel!
This goes above and beyond everything I have ever read/seen about this intriguing country...
Well done! ^
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by DanielW
Thank you, choklit. Unfortunately US passport holders are prohibited (unless exempted) by the US State Dept from visiting North Korea at the moment. The ban was recently extended last year but perhaps with the Trump-Kim détente it will eventually be eased:
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/19/p...ntl/index.html
I'm hoping that the restriction for Americans is lifted. Visiting North Korea is certainly on my bucket list. Hopefully President Trump's meetings with Kim will help change the situation. From what I understand, North Korea has no problem with Americans visiting.

I at least want to do a JSA visit from South Korea, where you can technically set foot inside North Korea. Were you not able to cross the border on your trip to the DMZ from North Korea?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by DanielW
I would love to head back for one of the aviation tours but I think those no longer run unfortunately
Those tours were run by another firm, Juche Travel (which is a joint DPRK/UK firm). Unfortunately, I think those tours were operated with the express blessing of the DPRK government, and with escalating international tensions, I don't think those tours will resume until the relax (also for security reasons).
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Incredible TR. Took me hours to view it. I laugh at the irony of arriving back in China and enjoying the "freedom". Thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for sharing another wonderful report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.