Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Orange County to San Francisco in only 11 hours... by air... nonstop.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

Four days after returning from Australia, Mrs. SFO777 and I were off to San Francisco last week as she underwent knee surgery. Despite the cold, rain and dreary weather, we enjoyed our time, well maybe one of us more than the other. LOL. She’s back in Orange County recovering nicely. I had not intended to do a report but I figured that our ridiculously long ordeal getting from SNA to SFO was worth a few laughs. Plus I'm bored here in the Delta JFK Sky Club. We flew to the Bay Area last Sunday, a day with some pretty awful rainy and windy weather in the Bay Area. Our midday options were an Alaska E75 or mainline United 738. Everything would have fine if I’d chosen Alaska. But alas, I opted for the larger plane for more comfort. LOL. Big mistake.

With a 1:35p SNA departure, we headed out on the 20 minute drive to John Wayne at 12:15pm, despite knowing full well that United is lying about on time departure. We figured that we’d relax and have lunch since we had a 3 hour cushion for dinner with the kids and grandkids. The first of many United lies. On time departure at 1:35pm with the inbound plane arriving at 1:39pm. LOL.

Terminal C PreCheck was a breeze and we were in the concourse by 12:45pm.

We decided on Javi’s, the only sit down restaurant in this part of the airport. Food was mediocre although the margaritas were good.

As we finished our meal, the first of many updated lies from United. Despite our inbound scheduled to arrive at 2pm, our departure was now rescheduled for 4:00pm. Hey, that’s a nice round number, let’s use 4pm. Figuring that this wasn’t the end of it, I decided that today might be a good day to burn my last two Chase United Club passes.

The SNA United Club is located on the 2nd level near Gate 9. The Club is smallish but comfy… at least for a short stay.

We parked ourselves and passed the time as we watched multiple updates and departure times come and go. By mid afternoon, the place was packed with mostly pleasant fellow pax, except for the single POS mom and her two semi-annoying kids who were left on their own while mom tossed down red wines at the bar.

Thank you United, for dumping on John Wayne today.

At around 5:30pm after the lounge dragon fessed that she didn’t think we’d be leaving until at least 8pm and she had no idea whether the crew might time out, I decided to check other options. I found and booked the last two seats on a 7:05pm Southwest flight to Oakland. Fortunately, all that was left was Business Select, so we were able to get A10 and A11 which insured that we’d have reasonably good seating, or as good as it might get on Southwest.

Yeah, good call.

By 6pm, we’d had enough of the Club, the kids and mom and headed down to the concourse and the long walk to Southwest. "Stay close by for updates". LOL.

While the lack of Business Class seating is my biggest complaint about Southwest, they do seem to have the nicest and friendliest employees in the industry. Generally crappy Bay Area weather even slowed down things from Oakland as our inbound arrived 40 minutes late.

Still better than United. LOL.

LOL.

Orange County SNA to Oakland OAK
Southwest WN
7:05p-8:30p (sked)
8:05p-10:20p (actual)
January 6, 2019
Seats 1C and 1D

We took our place in the Southwest cattle call and after the never ending pre-boards, general boarding for the A group boarding call.

Amazingly, we were able to get cross aisle bulkhead seats.

Finally.

Free texting on Southwest means I can get updates on our old flight while watching Oceans 8... for just about 8th time. LOL

Now after 10pm and nearly 2 hours in flight, we are on final to OAK.

Well we still beat them by at least an hour.

I changed my Avis rental from SFO to OAK without a problem. But, I'd forgotten about the long, long, long shuttle bus to the Oakland Rental Car Center.

We got to our old Marina stomping grounds around 11:30pm, checked into The Cow Hollow Suites on Chestnut and then went for dinner... finally going to The Brazen Head, the only restaurant open this late on a Sunday.

Classic atmosphere with so-so food... but we were hungry.

Ah yes, back home in San Francisco. Mrs. SFO777 was not amused with the urinal in her loo. LOL

hugolover, SPBanker and nequine like this.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 16, 2019 at 6:26 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:09 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
On the bright side, the United Club in SNA appears miles ahead of the Alaska Lounge in LAX!

Enjoyable reading. . .
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I gotta give it to UA for consistency. No matter how delayed things were, you could always depend on your SNA luggage arriving at Carousel 6, in the unlikely event that you'd ever arrive.

Last edited by Eastbay1K; Jan 16, 2019 at 10:23 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Wow. Just wow.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Sorry! We all should have a sfo777 do when you’re back in sf - I’m sure it would be SRO but all of us FTers would have fun. Wow total ual shame.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Did the dragon ever give a reason for the 8 hour delay? Mx? No crew?

What a joke. Will you get a refund on your UA ticket or it's gone? I bet it took a while to walk down to the WN terminal. Could you do the walk while staying airside?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by enviroian
I bet it took a while to walk down to the WN terminal. Could you do the walk while staying airside?
It is just one long airside building. I don't know why they even differentiate the sections as "terminals." There aren't even piers from the building.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It is just one long airside building. I don't know why they even differentiate the sections as "terminals." There aren't even piers from the building.
For all the times I have flown out of there I never knew that. The entrances were separated outside by such a distance I just assumed they were two separate buildings.

Go figure.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I wonder if they think that saying 'We value your time' makes it any better? I wonder if they think anyone really believes that they value customers' time?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:32 pm

Great report. And at least you got there ... finally... even if it was with a different airline to the one you originally booked!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Wow, what a day! I'd probably have given up after 5 hours ... ha
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Wow at the delays on your original flight! That would be costing United a small fortune if it happened in the EU given the rules we have here - would customers receive any compensation for the delay in the US?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
No USA cash payments for delays esp if ATC, weather... not sure of MX. But it doesn’t matter because we don’t have yay Europe rule when in USA with delays.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Friggin UA......I do like the "cosy" UA club at SNA.

Did you declare a UA trip in vain????
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
On the bright side, the United Club in SNA appears miles ahead of the Alaska Lounge in LAX! Enjoyable reading. . .
Thank youworldtraveller73. Agree with you on that one.

I gotta give it to UA for consistency. No matter how delayed things were, you could always depend on your SNA luggage arriving at Carousel 6, in the unlikely event that you'd ever arrive.
LOL. Thanks Eastbay1K.

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Wow. Just wow.
Yeah, that was pretty much our take at the end of the day. Thanks wakesetter93.

Originally Posted by gaobest
Sorry! We all should have a sfo777 do when you’re back in sf - I’m sure it would be SRO but all of us FTers would have fun. Wow total ual shame.
Now that would be cool.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Did the dragon ever give a reason for the 8 hour delay? Mx? No crew? What a joke. Will you get a refund on your UA ticket or it's gone? I bet it took a while to walk down to the WN terminal. Could you do the walk while staying airside?
Thanks enviroian. The delay was SFO weather and ATC ordered slowdowns. As I understand it, each airline is asked to reduce arrivals by a certain percentage. UA prioritizes flights so that long hauls, flights with connections, GS, 1Ks etc.. get priority. Since SNA tends to be more point to point and less connections (why would anyone connect in SFO when you can drive to LAX), SNA routinely gets the shaft when there is bad SFO weather.

Indeed, one long ... terminal with three sections, A, B and C, all connected.

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I wonder if they think that saying 'We value your time' makes it any better? I wonder if they think anyone really believes that they value customers' time?
LOL, they value our time my arse.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Great report. And at least you got there ... finally... even if it was with a different airline to the one you originally booked!
Thanks SQTraveller.

Originally Posted by 757
Wow, what a day! I'd probably have given up after 5 hours ... ha
Under normal circumstances I would agree. Except we needed to be in SFO for Monday morning pre-op.

Originally Posted by nequine
Wow at the delays on your original flight! That would be costing United a small fortune if it happened in the EU given the rules we have here - would customers receive any compensation for the delay in the US?
Originally Posted by gaobest
No USA cash payments for delays esp if ATC, weather... not sure of MX. But it doesn’t matter because we don’t have yay Europe rule when in USA with delays.
Unfortunately, no such compensation rules. Only UA’s heartfelt apology. LOL.

Originally Posted by Billiken
Friggin UA......I do like the "cosy" UA club at SNA. Did you declare a UA trip in vain????
The amazing that was the UA proactively refunded our tickets even though we no showed. Got an email from Amex by the next morning advising us of the full refund.
Hoyaheel likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 18, 2019 at 1:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.