Reload this Page >

6 year anniversary trip - Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong - CX F/J, AC J/Y, MH Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 year anniversary trip - Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong - CX F/J, AC J/Y, MH Y

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Making me miss the hawker stands in Singapore!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
Originally Posted by injian
Where we ran into the Infinity gauntlet that Thanos apparently lost and was under constant guard by the Singapore authorities. I sent a pic of this to my friends and family back home and the overwhelming response was to steal it. Like, don’t people know about corporal punishment in Singapore – no thanks.

I know what to have for dinner.

Loving this TR so far! Especially from a fellow YYZ'er (my Home Airport)!

Who needs to worry about Corporal Punishment when you are wearing the gauntlet! You will decide punishment!

My I ask if you have a Filipino background? I'm curious as to why you would eat Jollibee when there is so much more to eat in Singapore. Again, I may be spoiled cause I'm based in HKG and I can get Jollibee anytime... I guess your reason could be the same reason why people are lining up for hours at the Scarborough location!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
#beachmode #partdeux

Every day after breakfast, we would hit the beach for a few hours. Since the sun rose from the east and the beach was facing west, the mornings and early afternoons were the best time to be by the water and not get terribly sunburnt. Also, the water would be a high tide by 10am and get into low tide by 5pm and you will see pics on this in a minute. The beach is also shared by the Datai resort but it was under construction at the time we were there and was scheduled to be open for business by the beginning of June.

There were various paths along the stretch of the ground floor providing access to the beach.

The entire beach was covered by a canopy of trees. The ground staff would come every morning to cleanup leaves from the beach and give it that picture perfect look.

The house reef was near the tiny island you see here. Not easy to swim there but there was a variety of equipment available to use to get there (snorkel, canoes, paddle boats etc) from the equipment shop and everything was free to use with the exception of the hobbycat.

Staff members were positioned throughout points on the beach. Whenever a guest used the beach chairs, they would come up with towels, lay it out over the chair and provide glasses of water.

Around noon, a staff member would come around with a menu and check if we wanted anything to drink or eat.

Some shots around 5pm.

Low tide reveals everything underneath.

One of the restaurants on the property. We would have dinner here one night and it was a Malaysian/Indian theme. More on this to come in a bit.

The beach bar over to the left and Jala restaurant off to the right. Again, we had dinner one night at Jala and it was seafood night.

Note to self (and future guests) – don’t walk on the beach at 5pm with the sun beating down on you like Thor’s hammer. Also, the seaweed and moss smells in the heat.

This is where the Datai property started and I could make out the beach villas.

Beat a hasty retreat back the loving embrace of our room with the cold AC to get ready for dinner at 7:30pm.

Can’t beat that sunset view.

As mentioned above, we headed to Jala for our first dinner night and it was located next to the beach bar. We were the 2nd couple to walk in and were seated closest to the beach.

The waiter presented us with a menu but also informed us that we could select from the fresh catch bar where price was charged by the gram.

We started off with a shared app – Signature Jalaksa. The deep fried items plus noodles and garnishes were placed in the bowl when it was delivered. The soup was then poured at our table into the bowl. Tasty but quantity would be slightly more.

From another angle.

We both ordered the slow cooked sea bass. The fish itself was tasty but the presentation was just too much fluff and no substance. The risotto was flavourful but was not a fan of it being al dente.

We were totally unimpressed with the food and level of service. We were the 2nd pair to be seated at the restaurant and yet our mains were delivered after 4 other guests (who came later on) started their mains. Given that it’s a restaurant on the beach, I expected the food to be more rustic rather than trying to pass off as an upscale restaurant.

The next night, we went to Tepian Laut.

There was an ice cream cart outside the entrance and Mrs.I wanted to skip right to this course! LOL.

We were seated almost upfront.

We also had a good view of the outdoor kitchen where wonderful BBQ smells (and smoke) emanated from.

After looking through the big book of wonderful Indian/Malaysian dishes, we settled on a tasting hodge podge of the following:

Gulai Ayam (Malaysian Chicken Curry)

Tandoori chicken. Luckily, this was dark meat and was so good. It brought back memories of Sind Punjab tandoori chicken in Dubai. All you Dubai folk know what I’m talking about.

Tandoori Veggies (mix of cauliflower, broccoli and peppers)

Roti Canai

This night was definitely better than the seafood night. Everything was tasty and downright simple.

On our last day, we just explored the resort.

Fishies!

The Japanese restaurant that was closed during our stay.

Down by the pool area.

The area used to host the Happy Hour for SPG Gold/Platinum members. This was hosted by Vijay and other members of the wait staff. They were highly engaging to talk to and listen to their passion for working for the Andaman. Some of them have been working there for 20+ years.

Yummy mojitos.

Our 3 nights at the Andaman was absolutely fantastic. Despite the small issue with one of the dinner nights and the reservation screwup, everything exceeded our expectations from the location to the staff to the food. It also helped that we came during the “low” season and you never saw a lot of people in one particular area. While we decided to just lounge on the beach for our stay, keep in mind that there are activities to do on the resort and on the island.

Our flight was at 11am on the 4th day and we checked out at 9am. The resort provided us with their own van to take us back to the airport and charged us the same as a regular taxi whereas the regular rate would have been 150 MYR. With no traffic, we reached the airport in 30 minutes. Check-in and security was a breeze and we were extruded into the mass waiting area.

Our flight and the connecting flight were delayed 20 minutes but didn’t have an effect on us.

Two hour transit in KL.

MH’s shiny new A350.

Back in the SG.

Next up – 5 days in Singapore exploring and binge eating.

Next post up on the blog.

Last edited by injian; Jun 5, 2018 at 9:12 am
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by somemale
Loving this TR so far! Especially from a fellow YYZ'er (my Home Airport)!

Who needs to worry about Corporal Punishment when you are wearing the gauntlet! You will decide punishment!

My I ask if you have a Filipino background? I'm curious as to why you would eat Jollibee when there is so much more to eat in Singapore. Again, I may be spoiled cause I'm based in HKG and I can get Jollibee anytime... I guess your reason could be the same reason why people are lining up for hours at the Scarborough location!
Thanks somemale. Not flipino background but I do have a Spanish last name which is common in the Philippines. It was a running joke between me and my filipino colleagues that it would be faster for me to fly to Singapore to have jollibee versus waiting 4 hours at the Scarborough location and sure enough, it was!

Originally Posted by chongl
Making me miss the hawker stands in Singapore!
More hawker stand pics inbound!

Originally Posted by offerendum
Cool! I would say it´s hard to resist and not to feed them
There were two types of monkeys on the resort - the black ones that were non-aggressive and grey ones which were super aggressive to the point of coming onto the balconies and checking if any doors were open. If they were open, it was pandemonium in the room based on the rep's experience.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

#gluttony #partdeux #outandabootinsingapore

Took a taxi over to the Sheraton Towers and completed all the check-in formalities.

There was a small gift of cake when we entered our room.

We decided to hit up Arab Street and have murtabak for dinner at Singapore Zam Zam.

Looks like the right place.

The Sultan Mosque in all its glory.

Ordered a small chicken and mutton murtabak plus a small order of chicken 65 and drinks. The chicken murtabak was the hands down winner.

After dinner, we walked off the meat+carb sweats to Little India. Figured it might be buzzing with activity as Arab Street was dead and it was only 8pm!

Wanderlust – a boutiquey SPG hotel.

Got to Serangoon road and it was dead as well.

We decided to hit up Little India during the day the next day.

Hello beauties.

Headed into the Tekka Centre for breakfast.

Randomly selected stall for brekkie.

Puri baaji + Vadas

Mrs.I’s all time brekkie favourite – Masala Dosa.

Explored the inner depths of the wet market.

The clothes stores on the 2nd floor.

Back out of the main road for fresh air.

Resident of Tan Teng Niah – the last surviving Chinese villa in Little India.

With Mrs.I making an attempt at a worthy Instagram shot. #torontobluejays

Barely an hour had passed since breakfast and my stomach decided that it was time for 2nd breakfast.

Rather than heading back to the Tekka Centre, we decided to head over to Chinatown to check out the hoopla behind Hawker Chan and his famous 1 Michelin star soy sauce chicken rice.

You know this spot.

Where we found a line up to the place we were looking for.

With a 30 minute line up …

We ordered the soy sauce chicken rice, soy sauce chicken noodles and char siew rice. The only decent item was the chicken rice. The char siew was sweet and was a little better after dousing it in hot sauce. Honest feedback - I dont understand the hype but it is what it is.

MRT-ed it back to Little India where we continued our journey along Serangoon road.

Mural.

We eventually walked up to the famous Mustafa Centre where products of my childhood were on sale.

OMG memories.

Mrs.I wanted to buy so many things but I managed to dissuade her and came out of that place with my wallet still in one piece. Made our way back to the hotel where we would rest up before going out for dinner to celebrate our anniversary.

That night, we dined at Level33. I made a reservation before leaving on our trip and managed to get a spot on the patio.

We waited for the elevator that took us directly up to the restaurant.

Beer vats as you entered. This restaurant was also a brewery specializing in craft beers.

The server walked us to our table on the patio with a wonderful view of MBS.

Our friendly waiter started us with a few drinks and a food menu.

A blond for me and a white for her.

While we were waiting for our drinks, the 8pm MBS light show kicked off. We could also see the Supertree grove light show.

Started off with some apps of sizzling shrimp and sizzling beef cubes.

For our mains, we shared the gnocchi, sea bass and sweet potato fries. Our server did warn us that the gnocchi was very rich and true enough, it became a little difficult to eat it all towards the end. The sea bass was soft and you really can’t go wrong with the fries.

For dessert, we went with the beer ice cream and almond mousse. We had a different server take our order and was not helpful in making recommendations. While the beer ice cream was made with stout, it had berries in it which gave an odd taste and the mousse was on point. When our server came back with the bill, he asked how everything was and after telling him about the ice cream, he agreed that it was not the greatest and proactively took it off the bill. Awesome service.

Here are some shots of the restaurant to end this portion of the TR.

Next post up on the blog.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by injian
The FA working J noticed my BP on the centre console and welcomed me … “Mr.I, welcome aboard, we have been expecting you … Please let me know if you need anything. Also, you are most welcome to visit the flight deck.”
Was this prearranged or something? And how did your mother-in-law get you an upgrade?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:48 am
Original Poster

#chickenricewars #gloomanddoomatsentosa #catchingthelightshow

It was a late start our day and we kicked it off with brunch at the Maxwell food centre. It was going to be a show down between two chicken rice stalls plus a Hainanese curry rice thrown into the mix just for fun.

We arrived at 11:15am and started with Tian Tian chicken rice. There were 5 people ahead of us but it moved quickly. By 12:30pm, the lineup was at least 25 people deep. The chicken was slightly mushy, the rice was firm yet flavourful and the chilli sauce had a really good kick. We ordered the small portions for $3.50 each.

One for me, one for her.

The lunch hour chaos.

Next up, Ah Tai chicken rice. Ordered a small plate for $3 and it included soup. Chicken breast meat was flavourful and not mushy, rice was lacking in flavour and the chilli sauce was weak.

Headed over to the Hainanese Curry Rice stall where you get to select as many items as you want. Kept it simple with a chicken cutlet and a pork meatball. While the cutlet and meatball were good, the gravy was a hands down winner.

To wash everything down, a nice hot cup of tea tahrik.

The Tian Tian line up as we left Maxwell.

Today was a lazy day, so we ended up watching Deadpool 2 at the Orchard Road IMAX – not as good as the first one but still a good romp. After the movie, Mrs.I was feeling peckish – Google told us to try Beach Road Scissor Cut Rice and that’s what we did.

Choose one or more or all items on display where the man behind food display would take your selection and hand cut it with a scissor with lightening speed. I can’t imagine how one’s fingers would be after cutting all day. From there, he would hand it off to the guy behind him who would pour 3 different gravies on top.

An unholy delicious mess of chicken cutlet, fish and cabbage.

As Mrs.I wanted it to be a lazy day, we headed back to the hotel to veg out. The next morning, we would head off to Sentosa Island to spend the majority of the day. Before that, important things had to be accomplished. We headed off to the Old Airport Road Food Centre for some noodles – specifically Lor Mee and Char Kway Teow.

On the bus again on a sunny morning for the 30 minute ride to the food centre.

To find this line up at 10:45am … :

30 minutes later, we made it to the front of the line and ordered the Lor Mee $5 bowl for us to share.

The noodles are hiding underneath. Broth was wonderfully thick and tangy and the highlight was actual shredded fish versus a fish fritter.

Next, we went to get some Char Kway Teow and ordered the $4 plate that comes with shrimp. Sinfully good as it’s cooked with lard.

We were going to go for the trifecta and order a bowl of prawn mee but logic got the better of us and we ended up getting a couple of sugar cane juices instead.

Waiting for the bus to take us to the Harbourfront Cable Car station.

We bought two adult passes for a total of $70 that would allow us to use the entire cable car network between the mainland and the island plus the cable car network on Sentosa itself. You can get cheaper tickets if you prebook in advance.

Taken from the company website.

Made our way to the top of the station to head towards Sentosa. As we made our way to Sentosa, the heavens let loose their fury and it rained hard for 45 minutes. When we go to Sentosa Station, we hopped over to the Imbiah Lookout station and headed to Merlion station.

Hello there. Not sure if you can tell but it was raining in this shot.

Once the rain stopped, we quickly set up the GoPro for this shot before the rest of the unwashed masses wanted their picture.

We then made our way behind the Merlion to explore other areas the island had to offer. Insert random pictures as we walk along the guided path.

Um ... what?

Mrs.I acting silly on Siloso beach.

From here, we jumped on the Siloso Point station back to Imbiah Lookout station.

Back on the main cable car line to Mount Faber station.

Heading into Harbourfront Station.

The line up at Mount Faber to get onto a cable car was ridiculously long, so we were thankful we unwittingly started our journey from the Habourfront station. From there, we explored the Southern Ridges area and first made our way to Mount Faber Point which had an amazing view of the city skyline.

Hello again.

Once we had our fill of the skyline, we made our way down the winding road to the Henderson Waves bridge.

Thank goodness we were going downhill.

After 15 minutes, we finally made it.

See the wave?

Mrs.I had enough walking for the day but did have enough energy for food. We headed back to the Tekka centre for some biryani.

*insert Homer Simpson drooling pic here*

Random drink stall guy comes up and asks if we want anything. We ended up with an ice chendol and ice mango chunk drink. The ice chendol is sugar overload and soooo good.

Got back to our room just in time for Mrs.I to catch the royal wedding and this delayed our plans to catch the 7:45pm supergrove tree light show.

We made it to the 8:45pm show with 5 seconds to spare. Absolutely spectacular.

Ended the night with this final shot of MBS.

It was definitely a loooong day but we accomplished a lot of sightseeing. More to come.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Was this prearranged or something? And how did your mother-in-law get you an upgrade?
MIL knew the gate agent and captain of the flight who in turn informed the FA. She spoke with the GA to get the upgrade.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:22 am
Original Poster

#somanystairs #claypotrice #geylangseraimarket #hipsterfood

Another day of doing touristy things. We decided to hit up Fort Canning Park and then make our way to the Chinese Gardens after lunch. In the evening, we planned to hit up the annual Geylang Serai Ramadan Market. As usual, first things first – we hit up the Newton Food Centre for breakfast and there were a couple stalls open at 9am. Ended up a two bowls of noodles

After that, it was a quick ride to the Fort Canning station via the MRT.

See, even the kids were tired walking up so many stairs.

Why … are … there … so … many … stairs?

A quick history lesson on pre-colonial Singapore.

Don’t know how Bambi made it up on the historial depiction of Singapore.

A quick lesson on how Fort Canning came to be.

One of the many colourful instagrammable buildings in Singapore.

After an hour and a half-ish of walking, the sky turned doomy and gloomy yet again. We didn’t want to risk being caught in the rain and caught a bus over to the Holland Drive Food Centre for an early bite of lunch.

Settled on this place and ordered the set for 2 and came to $15.

How the claypot rice is made. The rice is cooked over charcoal and when its nearly done, a whole bunch of various meats (chicken + preserved sausage) are added on the top.

The finished product.

After mixing in the oil and soy sauce.

With that out of the way, we headed over to the Chinese Gardens for another stroll. This would be cut short as the rain came down heavy and would not stop till 6pm.

Locals playing cricket.

Inside the tower. The rain came down around this point and we were stuck in here for an hour. When it slowed down, we made the decision to head back to the hotel.

Fast forward to the evening where we headed out to the Geylang Serai Ramadan Market.

Where the night ended up being like this after seeing all the various hipster food stalls.

The finished version of meatballs on top of curly fries and mash potatoes topped with liquid cheesy goodness.

Meat in a pita? Yes, please!

No, it was not all for me.

Anyone for flame torched beef cubes? We didn’t bother as the line-up was ridiculously long.

What it looked like though and taken from another site.

The market spanned several city blocks.

Found the gauntlet.

YES!

Fresh made stone slab ice cream.

Intensity.

O … M … G.

Raclette Factory.

Cheese overload.

The crush of people was insane and we decided we had enough. We took the bus over to the Helix bridge next to MBS.

In time for the light show again.

A shot of the downtown skyline to end the night.

Next up – one last meal + flight to Hong Kong.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:18 am
Original Poster

#lastchanceforhawkerfood #roamingthroughchangi

Our flight out of Changi to Hong Kong was at 8pm. We had a 4pm late checkout so we decided to get one last good meal in and pick up souvenirs to take home.

On the bus to the Golden Mile Food Centre.

Mrs.I went ape s**t over the prawn mee and wished I had taken her to this place before. LOL

Fast forward to 3:30pm where we were all packed and ready to go. The staff hailed a taxi for us and we were off to T4.

T4 check-in is mostly automated for all airlines where you self-check-in, bag tag and drop off. For Cathay business class passengers, there is an agent who will do everything for you. I asked the agent if it was possible to get on the 6pm flight to HKG. She talked to her supervisor and approved to allocate us seats – woohoo!

[/url]

We originally planned to head to the staff canteen at T2 but since we had 1.5 hours till boarding time, we made our way to security to get to the lounge and spend more time there. We went through the automated immigration gates and then through security. I guess security can be really tight depending on who checks the screen as we were asked to remove all the coins in one of our backpacks. Once they saw it, they let us go – odd.

Some shots walking the concourse of T4.

Up the stairs to the Cathay lounge. The lounge is as good as it gets for an outport station – comfy enough for an hour but you get bored if you stay longer.

So many choices …

The PP lounge across the way.

We left after an hour to explore the rest of the concourse and make our way down to the gate.

The long walk down to gate G19 where our flight would be leaving from.

A pic of an empty gate to show the new automated boarding process. You can scan your own boarding pass at the gate, smile for the camera and walk on through.

Our A350 back to HKG. If we were on our original flight, it would have been an A333 but who wants to fly that?

Self scanned at the gate and off we went.

Mrs.I had 18K and I had 20K.

The empty (for now) rear J cabin.

32C in HKG??! :

Apple Juice and deez nuts to start the dinner service.

Barely touched this crap.

Stir fry beef was passable.

3-ish hours later, back at HKG.

Parked somewhere the higher 60’s gates which meant a long walk to the train and then onto immigration.

Our bags came out quickly and hit up the Airport Express to Kowloon.

The K4 bus was waiting for us and left as soon as we boarded for the Sheraton Kowloon which happened to be the first stop.

Nice city view room on the 12th floor.

Next up – two days of randomness in Hong Kong.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I LOVE your trip report!

We booked a trip to Malaysia for February next year and do a lot of the same things (A). CX F flight to HKG, 5 night stay in Singapore and a week at the Andaman in Langkawi. But in between we'll also Malaysian part of Borneo (Marriot Mulu Resort).

I'll bookmark this trip report for sure! Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

#hongkong #lazyhashtagging

I’ll be honest – we ran out of gas after a whirlwind ride in the last three pit stops so we just decided to laze around and do nothing. Well, we did a bit of something so I will post random pictures and hopefully it will paint a story of what we did for 2 days.

Morning view.

Stupid Peninsula blocking my view.

I actually managed to wake up Mrs.I early and on time out the door for breakfast. This obviously came with a lot of protesting, snarling and gnashing of teeth. We arrived at the IFC Mall just in the time for the 9am opening of Tim Ho Wan. There was a line up but just enough that we could get a seat with plenty more available after the lineup cleared out. We went with the usual suspects of dim sum goodness.

Turnip cake.

BBQ Pork bun.

Unholy trinity of Siu Mai, Har Gow and Steamed Beef balls.

Rice roll stuffed with shrimp.

On the train to meet up with a friend who took the ferry from Guangzhou. While she was en route, we headed over to the Star Ferry to see what was up.

Walked into one of the random malls with all stores geared towards kids. :

Uh, kid friendly?

After meeting up with our friend, Google suggested we visit the Mid-level escalator and walk the path.

It just keeps on going …

Walking down the way we came from …

Back on the Kowloon side after taking the Star Ferry. Mrs.I getting ready for a close up.

Absolutely perfect day for sight-seeing.

Since Kowloon Park was nearby, we decided to take a stroll before our friend hopped on the ferry back to Guangzhou.

On our 2nd day, I dragged Mrs.I out early again (really pushed my luck) for breakfast at Canton Dim Sum Expert. We went with the same set as Tim Ho Wan for comparison and we found this offering to be of better quality but also a little pricey.

BBQ pork bun, Hong Kong milk tea (left) and ying yang coffee milk tea (right).

We headed over to Pacific Place Mall after to cash out the $500 coupons at PYE courtesy of CX F. We ended up choosing two golf shirts for myself. Fast forward to dinner where we hit up the Coco Curry House for some delectable curry goodness.

Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

#loungingagain

With the flight to ORD scheduled for 12pm, we checked out of the hotel by 7am and hopped onto the shuttle after a 5 minute wait. In-town was not available at Kowloon station since our flight was to the US.

When we approached the First Class check-in, we were directed to the special check-in area for US flights. We were questioned by a security official and asked to see the return ticket back to YYZ. With that in order, our passport were stickered and we proceeded to the check-in booth. The rep checked our bags all the way to YYZ after 10 minutes of furious typing (and conferring with her colleague if CX interlined with AC) and even provided boarding passes for the onward leg. We passed through the automated immigration gate (YASS!) and security was a breeze as well.

Wonderful day for flying. We had a 3 wholesome hours of lounging ahead of us, so we started off with The Pier First class.

Here we are.

Mrs.I handed the invitations to the lounge dragon and we were waved in with a smile.

We’ve all seen pictures of this couch but I’ve never seen anyone sit on it. Come to think of it, I should have sat down here for a photo op.

We headed to the dining room for breakfast.

Mrs.I’s obligatory Hong Kong milk tea.

Both of us went for the Eggs benny with butter instead of hollandaise … ...?

After that, we checked out the day rooms.

We were offered separate rooms but we just took one. The lady gave us a quizzical look and then walked away … No lady, there will be no sex in the champagne room, calm down.

After 30 minutes, we got bored and moved to the open lounge area.

Bored with the lounge overall, we walked the long walk to gate 15 and check out the Qantas lounge.

With tails other than CX on the way to the lounge.

I have to admit at the Qantas lounge looks way better than any of the CX lounges … well, The Wing is still good.

The food + drink station with made to order Beef Noodle soup. Didn’t have a chance to try this as we didn’t want to be late for boarding.

Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
I LOVE your trip report!

We booked a trip to Malaysia for February next year and do a lot of the same things (A). CX F flight to HKG, 5 night stay in Singapore and a week at the Andaman in Langkawi. But in between we'll also Malaysian part of Borneo (Marriot Mulu Resort).

I'll bookmark this trip report for sure! Thanks!
You have me intrigued with Borneo. Looking forward to reading your review of the Andaman next year.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

#journeysend

Look at all those beautiful heavy ladies.

We left the Qantas lounge to trek all the way to gate 3 where our flight would be leaving from. When we got there, people were already lined up and ready to begin boarding. As usual, some noobs decided to line up with us in First Class but the GA’s patrolling the area quickly shooed them away to the economy line. Once the first green light was given, First Class passengers plus other super elites were brought up one by one to the waiting squad of security goons who looked at our boarding passes + passports and checked us off their paper list. Then we moved to the actual boarding line where we waited for the passengers who needed extra time to board first. Second green light was given and we headed into the tube where we came upon another set of security goons who searched our bags but this was more of a cursory glance rather than a full removal (or robbery) of items ala TSA style. We watched a mother with an infant having her bags searched and water bottles confiscated which were bought at the concourse past security. How do we know this? Overheard the conversation as we waited for our turn to be searched. I know the security staff are following the rules but seriously, use logic when it comes to parents and kids. #mindboggling

Our ride to ORD today.

We were greeted at the door by Yun who was the Chief Purser and she escorted us to our seats. The other two cabin crew members working F were Billy and Alex.

Our usual seats of 1A and 2A. The load would be 3 of 6 for this flight compared to our ORD-HKG which was 6 of 6 (one of the passengers was a cabin crew member deadheading back to HKG).

Mrs.I taking 2A this time.

Billy came by to introduce himself to us and asked if we would like champagne for our PDB. Ofcourse, my good man.

Oh look, there are flowers on this flight.

Billy also came by and offered reading material and I happily accepted this since it was about home sweet home.

Quickly delving into the menu. The selection of this flight was better than the ORD-HKG leg.

Boarding was done quickly but two people were missing apparently and eventually showed up with minutes to spare. While waiting for the missing pax, we quickly changed into our PJs. As I walked up the washroom, I noticed that the cockpit door was still open and I asked if it was possible to visit upfront. Yun and Billy nicely shook their heads and hands in a motion indicating no. In typical Canadian fashion, I apologized and went about my business.

After the missing passengers finally boarded, doors were closed with pushback and taxi done in record time.

Pushback video

Takeoff plus #epicfailmoment

Again, we chose to start lunch right after the seat belt signs went off. Billy set us up to dine together in 2A.

A Glenmorangie and a Cloud Nine to start us off.

Yummy golden liquid.

Our table being set up for the main attraction. I told Billy to set me up with garlic bread only so he divided the basket in half – hers and mine. Mrs.I’s side was the other crap.

The usual notes from the crew.

We both started with the mushroom soup which was absolutely fantastic. Dipping bread in it made it even better.

Next, Mrs.I made the dreadful choice of this crap. She barely touched it.

While I chose the Chinese cold plate which was tangy and spicy.

For the mains, Mrs.I went with the Black Cod. The fish was absolutely soft and delicious.

My choice was the Braised Chicken.

With tiny room left in our stomachs, we skipped the cheese course and went for the sugary goods. We both went with the warm hazelnut cake.

With a washroom break, we asked Billy to have our beds in the mean time. Since I took a timelapse of the bed being made on the ORD-HKG leg, I will include it here.

After sleeping for 5 hours, I forced myself to wake up so that I could quickly adjust to local time at YYZ and remain awake for the rest of the journey home. Mrs.I also woke up as well and ordered the Afternoon Tea Set to share with me. I asked for more scones but Billy informed me that they only had one of the sets loaded. The scone with clotted cream and strawberry jam was phenomenal.

Sun rising over god knows where.

Breakfast was served 2 hours before arrival. Mrs.I went with the main set of the scrambled eggs with fixings while I went with the fish ball noodle soup and prawn/scallop congee.

Mrs.I barely touched her breakfast and proclaimed it was not fit for human consumption. I, on the other hand, devoured the bacon because who doesn’t love bacon.

Billy brought out the roast duck noodle soup in error and I mentioned this to him. He didn’t miss a beat, took the dish away and came back with the correct item.

The correct noodle soup.

After vigorous mixing and addition of condiments.

The party came to an end as the captain came on the horn 30 minutes to announce that we would be arriving 30 minutes ahead of schedule – but whyyyyy???

Timelapse video of landing at ORD.

Like the ORD-HKG flight, the onboard service was absolutely flawless. Billy and Alex were totally accommodating of our requests and gave the level of attention typical of First Class service. The only difference in my opinion was how quickly the plates were cleared away during the lunch service. Since the first leg had a full cabin, it took a while for the cabin crew to clear dishes between each course versus the return leg.

All goods things have to come to an end including this wonderful flight. We were off the plane through 2L and raced towards immigration before the hoard descended upon us. Immigration was done quickly and we picked up and dropped off our bags at the transfer baggage point. The AC flight back to YYZ was standard with nothing significant to write about.

Thanks for hanging with me this far and hope you enjoyed the TR. Cheers.

seyewest and pacenotes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.