Search

Our week in Israel via Lufthansa and American First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Caesarea, Megiddo and Nazareth

Our first stop today is the ancient city of Caesarea. From our guide summary, Caesarea was built in the 1st century BCE by Herod the Great, became the Roman and Byzantine capital of the district and was later rebuilt by the Crusaders. At the time of Herod it was the 3rd largest port in the ancient world. Today, Caesarea is a National Park includes a large Roman theatre where concerts are still enjoyed in the summer season, a hippodrome, a Roman bathhouse, mosaic floors, warehouses, a Crusader fortress and a beautiful ancient aqueduct.

While we waited for Daphne to bring the van around, we tried some fresh squeezed orange juice.

About 45 minutes away is the opening of the Jezre’el Valley and the ancient city of Megiddo. It was here that Egyptian Pharaoh Thutmose III won a glorious battle in 1478 BCE and inscribed the battle description on his temple walls, making it the first “recorded” battle in history. In the New Testament Book of Revelations, Megiddo is described as Armageddon, the prophesied location of the gathering of armies for the battle at the end of times.

Our next stop, 30 minutes beyond Megiddo is Nazareth, the boyhood home of Jesus. From our guide summary, Nazareth was then a small Jewish village nestled in the Galilean mountains. It was here that the Angel Gabriel visited Mary at the well, announcing the upcoming birth of Jesus. Today, Nazareth is the largest Israeli Arab city in the country, home to Muslims and Christians and together with Nazareth Heights (Nazrat Ilit), a Jewish Israeli city, make up a large industrial, commercial center in the Galilee.

The Church of the Annunciation, built atop Byzantine and Crusader churches marking the traditional location of Joseph and Mary’s home.

Before we left Nazareth, a quick stop for lunch.

After lunch, we headed for Tiberias which would be our base for the next two nights.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 19, 2018 at 3:50 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Scots Hotel in Tiberias

Our home for the next two nights was the unique Scots Hotel in Tiberias. The hotel started as a medical centre in the 1880s by a young Scottish doctor, who believed in his mission to heal the people of the Holy Land. The hospital continued operating as a maternity hospital untill 1959, and was later converted into a guest house, and in 1999, the Church Of Scotland decided to open a full fledged unique hotel. Other than the palm trees and sunshine, it certainly looks like it could be in Scotland.

The 2nd floor of the The Doctor's House building.

And our funky suite 606.

The shared terrace for the four guest rooms on the 2nd floor of The Doctor's House.

And the views from the terrace.

Some more pics from the next day stroll around the property.

And

And the lovely view of the Sea of Galliee with the Golan Heights on the opposite shore.

Breakfast each morning was in The Torrance Restaurant which features an elaborate and excellent breakfast buffet.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 19, 2018 at 2:42 pm
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Wow, I hadn't realised that the Church of Scotland owned a hotel overseas!

Great update from you.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Wow i didnt realise TLV offered a VIP arrivals service. reading some of the horror stories about immigration, paying for that seems to be well worth it!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I have always wondered how @SFO777 and Mrs. SFO777 aren't obese from the food they eat on these airplanes. Particularly all the bread, not to mention the calories from the alcohol.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:45 pm

Great review

Wow, such detailed review is always a pleasure to read and to look at. Nice photos and the first class looks great. Maybe I should join the Star Alliance cult, too ;-).
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Could this be Benny Hinn's cousin?

Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Excellent job as always SFO777! Now Israel is on my bucket list!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Great TR, excellent photos!

"Today, Nazareth is the largest Israeli Arab city in the country, home to Muslims and Arabs"

Muslims and Arabs are too different things, Nazareth is the largest Arab (ethnicity) city which is home to both Muslims and Christians (religious groups).
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Another epic trip report, thanks SFO777. I am getting hungry looking at your pictures and thinking back to the great food I enjoyed in Israel.

Sorry about the rough time getting there, though. I was trying to fly UA out of YUL the day after you, and let's just say it was not pretty. In my case, AC ended up being the white knight since they actually had a YUL-ORD flight operating (with J catering to boot ) whereas UA kept rolling its delay....

Don't you miss our Québec winters?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Sea of Galilee

Today we explore the Sea of Galilee. Looking east across the sea on a sand storm hazy morning.

A few minutes later around the sea on the Golan Heights side.

Our first stop is a private boat (aka dingy) cruise on the sea.

With all of 6 horse power. LOL.

But the views were very nice.

Looking back at Tiberias on the western shore of the sea.

Our next stop was Capernaum, where Peter lived. After Jesus left Nazareth, he moved to Capernaum and lived there for the last three years of his life. Capernaum was a fishing village on the northern shore of the Sea of Galilee. It had a population of about 1,500 during the Roman/Byzantine times. Archaeological excavations uncovered the large village, two ancient synagogues built one over the other and a Judeo-Christian church marking the home where Jesus lived.

Mt. of Beatitudes was the place where Jesus delivered his Sermon on the Mount.

The church was built on 1927.

Tabgha is a modern church which sits on the remains of Byzantine and Crusader churches on the shore of the Sea of Galilee. It is believed to be where Jesus fed the multitudes with bread and fish (Miracle of the Multiplication of the Fishes and the Loaves.

And then a quick stop at a kibbutz which houses the remains of a 2,000 year old boat. Interesting to see and hear the story of how if was found and restored.

Magdala is another archaeological sites. During the construction of a Christian Visitors’ Center a few years ago, archaeologists discovered a 1st century CE synagogue in the ancient village of Magdala, where Mary Magdalene was from.

nequine likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 19, 2018 at 2:45 pm
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Private chef lunch overlooking the Sea of Galilee

We completed our circle tour of the sea around 1:30pm and headed for lunch and the group's hands down concensus favorite part of the trip. A private chef lunch on overlooking the Sea of Galilee.

We drove to a spectacular secluded location overlooking Tiberias and The Sea of Galilee where we found Chef Tal Zohar and his mobile kitchen waiting for us at a Chef Tal studied at FCI in New York and cooked at numerous restaurants around the world including Santa Monica and New York. Back in his native Isreal, he owns a small restaurant but specializes in catered private outdoor events. Chef Tal has an infectious personality and his "events" are a wonderful combination of food, fun and humor.

Chef Tal's amazing mobile kitchen.

And the first of a dozen courses that were simply out of this world. Enjoy the pics. The food tasted even better.

And dessert.

What an incredible experience. Between the food, setting and Chef Tal's warmth and humor, this ranks up there as one of our most memorable meals ever.
nequine likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 22, 2018 at 6:54 pm
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Wow, I hadn't realised that the Church of Scotland owned a hotel overseas!
Great update from you.
Thank you nequine. Sure seems like a strange combination to me.

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Wow i didnt realise TLV offered a VIP arrivals service. reading some of the horror stories about immigration, paying for that seems to be well worth it!
Thanks GodAtum. It was an amazing service and I would do it again in heartbeat.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I have always wondered how @SFO777 and Mrs. SFO777 aren't obese from the food they eat on these airplanes. Particularly all the bread, not to mention the calories from the alcohol.
LOL, thanks hockeyinsider. We're both struggling to keep the weight down but she has much more discipline than I do. I always put on 5 lbs. on each trip but am able to lose it in a week back to home.

Originally Posted by The Jetstreamer
Wow, such detailed review is always a pleasure to read and to look at. Nice photos and the first class looks great. Maybe I should join the Star Alliance cult, too ;-).
Thank you The Jetstreamer. Each alliance has its winners and losers, mostly US-based. LOL.

Originally Posted by bsagator
Could this be Benny Hinn's cousin?
Who? OK, just googled. That hair is classic!

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Excellent job as always SFO777! Now Israel is on my bucket list!
Thanks so much miamiflyer8.

Originally Posted by redadeco
Great TR, excellent photos!
"Today, Nazareth is the largest Israeli Arab city in the country, home to Muslims and Arabs"
Muslims and Arabs are too different things, Nazareth is the largest Arab (ethnicity) city which is home to both Muslims and Christians (religious groups).
You are correct. My bad. Indeed our guide in Bethlehem was Arab Christian. Thank redadeco.

Originally Posted by airoli
Another epic trip report, thanks SFO777. I am getting hungry looking at your pictures and thinking back to the great food I enjoyed in Israel.
Sorry about the rough time getting there, though. I was trying to fly UA out of YUL the day after you, and let's just say it was not pretty. In my case, AC ended up being the white knight since they actually had a YUL-ORD flight operating (with J catering to boot ) whereas UA kept rolling its delay.... Don't you miss our Québec winters?
Merci airoli. We were fortunate to get out during the window we had. And no, I do not miss Québec winters. . Although I will be back next Friday for meetings. Mrs. SFO777 declined to come. I can't imagine why. LOL. Mercifully this time it's jetBlue to BOS and a quick $52 connector to YUL. Thank you West Jet.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:48 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just out of curiosity, any reason you rented a car to drive to Fedex to ship your suitcase back home instead of just taking an uber or something? Seems like it would be much easier and cheaper, no?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Wow at the feast and the views!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.